Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: ABS delete?

Banned
    this thread = stupidest sh1t ever.

Quote Originally Posted by v1c10us View Post
    Okay, if this doesn't shut you guys Up i'll have to get really technical.

"Occasionally it is maintained that µ is always < 1. While in most relevant applications this is true, having a µ > 1 merely implies that the force required to slide an object along the surface is greater than the normal force of the surface on the object. For example, silicone rubber or acrylic rubber coated surfaces have a coefficient of friction that can be substantially larger than 1."
    This includes tires, which means if tires were made of wood what you are saying is correct, but since they are not, it is incorrect because µ is greater than 1 not less than 1

Also you have to take into account that the normal force is being varied by the brakes, its not constant because the brakes are not an ON OFF machine;
    Since the friction force is a product of the kinetic friction and the normal force. Since the FULL normal force is being applied when the brakes are locked up the frictional force is greater than when the normal force is not being fully applied in order to keep the tires rolling, this reduction reduces the elements in the equation and results in a lower product, or in this case a lower frictional force.
    edit: it would be different if the brakes were always fully applied, you would have equal forces at work, but due to the increased force and the decreased sliding friction it equates to the sliding friction of the tire being slightly greater than the rolling friction.
    You also have to take into account the maximum static friction the 2 materials can attain, but thats not really relevent because its not very much.
    u know how i know u are st00pid?
    cuz u forgot time in the equation. and i know that equation.
    it's barely used btw. if ur gonna argue about something that moves, ur gonna need time.
    also ur argument doesn't make sense because u aren't taking the mass into account.

you say: "friction force is a product of the kinetic friction and the normal force"
    friction force = kinetic friction x normal force

"Since the FULL normal force is being applied when the brakes are locked up the frictional force is greater than when the normal force is not being fully applied in order to keep the tires rolling, this reduction reduces the elements in the equation and results in a lower product, or in this case a lower frictional force."

assuming that ur equation is correct somehow, you are still wrong.
    u said "normal force is not being fully applied in order to keep the tires rolling, this reduction reduces the elements in the equation and results in a lower product"

there is no reduction. if there is a reduction, then u would be changing your equation to:
    [friction force = kinetic friction x (final force - initial force)]
    unfortunately, in this topic, we have no final force. we only have initial. so that sums up how there is no reduction.

second,your equation is wrong because there is no constant.
    you are dealing with 3 variables in your explanation. that's like fingering 3 pussies when you only have 2 arms with hands. there has to be atleast 1 given number at a certain measurement if we want to deal with the basic application of friction, momentum, mass, change in friction due to heat, etc.
    you say: "friction force is a product of the kinetic friction and the normal force"
    friction force = kinetic friction x normal force

yes, if one side of a product equation goes down, the other side will as well.
    however, following your equation and explanation,
    if you say the normal force decreases, so the friction force decreases, then where have the kinetic force gone?

fix your equation. or fix your explanation. or fix both.
    Last edited by oldskoofame; 08-20-2008 at 03:26 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by v1c10us View Post
    the new evo for instance when in a straight linewill lock up the brakes and when one of its yaw sensors detects something awry it will reduce braking force to correct your direction and then allow the tire to lock up again.
    wow...
    straight line and yaw.
    those are 2 TOTALLY different worlds.
    please explain to me how you got those 2 words in the same sentence....

it has to be: i drove in a straight line, and then cornered and my yaw degree was "x"
    or.. my slip angle was "x"

yaw sensors?
    i guess the new evo even has things i would take out.
    Last edited by oldskoofame; 08-20-2008 at 03:21 AM.

Banned
    some of you guys need to f-cking goto school or the army and learn physics.
    atleast use ur brain for something.

if ur offended by what i just said.. just letting u know i haven't targetted my statement towards anyone. you label yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stcivicsipilot View Post
    I came within an inch of hitting this guy cause I was pumping the breaks) Is there a way to get rid of the ABS?
    yes there is a way to get rid of the ABS.
    however, ask yourself, how good are you in modulating your brakes? it's alot more than just understanding the amount of pressure on the brake pad exerting a certain amount of pressure on the rotors.

how do you think you will do in the rain?
    how about a camping trip up on those gravels?
    how about when you see a deer?
    how about when you see a grandma crossing the street?

these are daily drive cars. we share the road with many others. these cars are made for normal people who have to goto work, see their families, take their pets to the park, get some coffee, go camping, etc...

these normal people have a natural reaction to stomp on the brakes when they see something last second. that's what the abs is for.

the following is a VERY generalized scenarios
    YOU ARE DRIVING AND YOU SEE A DEER ON THE ROAD VERY CLOSE AND U ARE GOING AT A QUICK SPEED (IT'S HARD TO DETERMINE THE EXACT SPEED. THIS IS JUST A GENERAL EXAMPLE).
    - NO ABS, BRAKES LOCKED BECAUSE U PUSHED DOWN A BIT TOO HARD!!! => 10 ft slide (slides even more now cuz every feet it slides the more heat generated on your tire's flat spot)
    - ABS AVAILABLE, U PUSHED DOWN A BIT TOO HARD!!! => 6ft roll (whew thanks abs!)
    - ABS taken out and brakes modulated => 4ft roll
    - ABS AVAILABLE and brakes modulated => 4ft~5ft roll
    Last edited by oldskoofame; 08-20-2008 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoofame View Post
    some of you guys need to f-cking goto school or the army and learn physics.
    atleast use ur brain for something.

if ur offended by what i just said.. just letting u know i haven't targetted my statement towards anyone. you label yourself.
    Stating facts is never offensive. As long as you can support them.
    Last edited by Zzyzx; 08-20-2008 at 08:25 AM.

May wind Oct. rain
    oldskoofame, the moment i read the first page of this thread, i knew to stay out of it. apparently, you couldn't help it any longer? LOL.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Okay, the thread is DONE. Too many people arguing now. Both sides made their points. I know where I stand and I'm going to say it......ABS is standard on the car. LEAVE IT ALONE!

CLOSED!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information