Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: ABS delete?

300whp+2140lbs= fun classiccelica's Avatar
    actually this would be kinda cool to see.

I'm moving into my new apartment on friday but expect to see this in a few weeks.

Mad JDM Vtec Hax Yo! ep3civic2nr's Avatar
    my abs hasnt worked since 06 lol. i need to get around to taking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ep3civic2nr View Post
    my abs hasnt worked since 06 lol. i need to get around to taking it out.
    feel a differance in stopping?

I read like two pages so please forgive me but, v1c10us you ask for sources but you dont provide your own?

This is ridiculous.. on 98% of surfaces there is a certain percentage of lock up you want * i dont remember off the top of my head, maybe around 75%* there is no way any human being could perfectly do that.. hence abs.. this is the dumbest argument EVER , abs was created for a reason.. the only scenario abs is not good with is like gravel or loosly packed snow..

abs helps you control your vehicle 100000 x's more than non equipped vehicles in a slam on your brakes situation.. one person (non abs) will slide sideways or any other way where as the abs equiped will still have a little bit of control

there is no argument here for the simple fact if you think abs is a bad idea you have to be a flipping moron..

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    That is the critical flaw in your argument. As Zzyzx pointed out, the static coefficient of friction is greater than the kinetic coefficient of friction. A tire with a contact patch static relative to the road (a rolling tire) will always have more grip than one sliding merrily along. It's been proven by decades (centuries?) of scientific research.
    i asked about that and i got laughed at.

v1c10us, to keep the Wiki thing going I'll just post Citation needed

Because everything I've been finding says is contrary to what youv'e been posting

First, friction between road and tires is far less when the wheels are locked and the tires are sliding. So, you’re not getting as much stopping power when you’re in a skid. That can mean longer stopping distances.

(yes thats from Bridgstone's commercial tire site..)

Comments from the skip barber Driving school
    A locked tire is utterly undesirable: the tire is stopped but is sliding on the road as it is no longer gripping the surface, and is thus in no way slowing the car down.

Comments form "Ask A Scientist" & the department of Energy

So, it would appear that 3rd party sources disagree with your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by kenscivic View Post
    I read like two pages so please forgive me but, v1c10us you ask for sources but you dont provide your own?

This is ridiculous.. on 98% of surfaces there is a certain percentage of lock up you want * i dont remember off the top of my head, maybe around 75%* there is no way any human being could perfectly do that.. hence abs.. this is the dumbest argument EVER , abs was created for a reason.. the only scenario abs is not good with is like gravel or loosly packed snow..

abs helps you control your vehicle 100000 x's more than non equipped vehicles in a slam on your brakes situation.. one person (non abs) will slide sideways or any other way where as the abs equiped will still have a little bit of control

there is no argument here for the simple fact if you think abs is a bad idea you have to be a flipping moron..
    I'm not saying ABS is bad, its a good idea and its a good thing to have, my argument is simply that it increases your stopping distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
    v1c10us, to keep the Wiki thing going I'll just post Citation needed

Because everything I've been finding says is contrary to what youv'e been posting

First, friction between road and tires is far less when the wheels are locked and the tires are sliding. So, you’re not getting as much stopping power when you’re in a skid. That can mean longer stopping distances.

(yes thats from Bridgstone's commercial tire site..)

Comments from the skip barber Driving school

Comments form "Ask A Scientist" & the department of Energy

So, it would appear that 3rd party sources disagree with your assessment.
    I have nothing left to say to back up what I'm saying, but I promise, go out and try it, take out your fuse in an empty parking lot and measure your stopping distance. With modern tires it will be shorter.
    If you are running tires from 1965 there might be something I'm missing out on.

There probably wont ever be enough evidence to sway you, but hopefully this video will keep others from thinking that locking their tires will stop their car faster...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4SFzhFC0Eo

Quote Originally Posted by v1c10us View Post
    You may want to look into the actual physics of it.
    Unless you have tires capable of with holding massive amounts of grip the rolling resistance of a tire at its threshold is almost always less than the sliding resistance of the tire; fact.
    This my friend is simply untrue. Everybody in this thread is telling you otherwise, the internet is telling you otherwise, yet you don't budge with your assumption. Ignorance can be bliss...

edit: as for using the abs, it pushes against your feet because it wants you to brake at the threshold, not slide uncontrollably and cause an accident, its all for controllability's sake.
    This is completely untrue. The ABS is not "pushing" against your foot because it "wants" you to brake at the threshold. When the ABS is doing its job (aka intermittently releasing and engaging brake line pressure to the locked tire) what you feel in your foot is just that, the solenoids in the ABS module clicking on and off. The CORRECT procedure to do when this happens is maintain your foot pressed down.

Modern braking systems in high end cars allow the tires to slide in a controllable fashion using shit tons of computers. the new evo for instance when in a straight line will lock up the brakes and when one of its yaw sensors detects something awry it will reduce braking force to correct your direction and then allow the tire to lock up again.
    I guess you work for Mitsubishi and actually programmed their ABS system for the new EVO? Give me a break dude. Where the hell do you get your information. Please show me one "modern" car that has ABS which is programmed to let the tire lock up and keep it that way. The answer is there is none. What you are saying completely contradicts the whole point of having ABS in the first place.

I have nothing left to say to back up what I'm saying, but I promise, go out and try it, take out your fuse in an empty parking lot and measure your stopping distance. With modern tires it will be shorter.
    If you are running tires from 1965 there might be something I'm missing out on.
    I have gone out and tried it. In over 20 different cars. The results are the same as what you see in the above video posted by "Zzyzx". The car which locks up its tires will always stop farther than the car which either has ABS or its driver is pumping the breaks.

THIS IS A FACT

(except on loose gravel, snow, etc. where the "plow" effect comes into play)

I'm not saying ABS is bad, its a good idea and its a good thing to have, my argument is simply that it increases your stopping distance.
    that defeats the point of abs then does it not?

where did the OP go? i'm curious to see his thoughts...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information