Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Free air subs in rear panels

Has anybody tried putting free air subs in the rear panels? If so, what kind of results did you get? I installed some Kicker SSMB6's in the rear panels and they sound okay without an amp, any sealing, or sound deadening. Do you think if I added all those things, will they sound better?
    Last edited by Myriad; 08-30-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Damn, for those who dont need 1000w of sub bass....thats a better idea than having a sub sitting in the spare tire bay!

Quote Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
    Has anybody tried putting free subs in the rear panels? If so, what kind of results did you get? I installed some Kicker SSMB6's in the rear panels and they sound okay without an amp, any sealing, or sound deadening. Do you think if I added all those things, will they sound better?
    Well IMO and experience adding those things will only help. But it's up to you if it sounds good to you, stick with it. If you want to do some extra work you will reap the benefits.

you installed them without an amp?
    they'll sound worlds better powered.

Put an amp on the back of the middle/driver back seat. It'll sound a ton better and doesn't take up much space.

Has anybody tried putting free subs in the rear panels? If so, what kind of results did you get? I installed some Kicker SSMB6's in the rear panels and they sound okay without an amp, any sealing, or sound deadening. Do you think if I added all those things, will they sound better?
    Would you happen to have a pic of you setup by chance?

Ya, I'd like to see that

w00t for redheads! NitroBoarder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Would you happen to have a pic of you setup by chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by devinblue View Post
    Ya, I'd like to see that
    yea, pics please!

They only sound ok because you don't have a proper setup to compare them to. I can assure you when compared to a proper system you'll go out and get more power.

Free air subs are useless IMHO. You need a proper box, and sub to get bass. Unfortunately that takes space. Pay to play.

I've just ordered a pair now (about 110 CAD shipped) on ebay and I'll post pics of the install, it wont be for a few weeks though as I am out of town.

I dont have an amp yet but I will put them in now just to get it over with (along with the wires).

Quote Originally Posted by mattism78 View Post

Free air subs are useless IMHO. You need a proper box, and sub to get bass. Unfortunately that takes space. Pay to play.
    Infinite baffle subs are not ideal in that place in our car but are FAR from useless, some of the best systems use infinite baffle configurations outside the SPL arena.

pics please

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm an "old" guy with a family, so a big sub in the hatch would not be practical for me. If I were 19 again, I would have a system like I did when I was 19, with a big sub. Which is why I decided to give this a try and make it sound as good as possible. I plan on installing an amp in the near future and get some sealing and sound deadening done. I did some tweaking in the mean time, and got it to sound not too bad for now. It's broken in and can hit pretty hard for the type of music I listen to. The factory opening is large enough for this speaker. It is 6 3/4".

The front speakers are the Kicker KS series components. The tweeters fit like a glove in the factory sail panel with a little filing.

Here's the pics you all requested of the install.
    Last edited by Myriad; 03-15-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm an "old" guy with a family, so a big sub in the hatch would not be practical for me. If I were 19 again, I would have a system like I did when I was 19, with a big sub. Which is why I decided to give this a try and make it sound as good as possible. I plan on installing an amp in the near future and get some sealing and sound deadening done. I did some tweaking in the mean time, and got it to sound not too bad for now. It's broken in and can hit pretty hard for the type of music I listen to. The factory opening is large enough for this speaker. It is 6 3/4".

The front speakers are the Kicker KS series components. The tweeters fit like a glove in the factory sail panel with a little filing.

Here's the pics you all requested of the install.
    I only lost around 4" of hatch height in my install, retained the spare, and retained ALL the square footage. If you crave more and are handy you can do it, at home, yourself

I'm an old guy with a family too, that's why mine is this way!

That's a nice setup you have there. It's a free air sub?

If I had the time and the $$$, I'd love to. But unfortunately I'm not very handy with woodwork, and I live in an apartment (no garage). That's why I went with what I had. I do crave more bass, but my mammoth sub in my home stereo takes care of that monster craving.

If I'm not satisfied with what sound I get after adding an amp, sound deadening, and sealing, I'll probably replace those little subs with full range speakers, and get a powered sub for the hatch. But I think doing the prior will sound pretty good without a powered sub. We'll see I guess.
    Last edited by Myriad; 08-30-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information