Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Im not too concerned about the inside of my computer, Processor temperatures hover at around 70degrees farenheit under full load, other important components hover at around 80 with the exception of my dual graphics cards which go at around 75. I have 4 intake fans and 4 exhaust fans that move roughly 400CFM total and out of my 5 temperature sensors not one of them have ever seen a temperature over 98 degrees which is quite safe.
    In the winter when the heater is on the air exiting the computer is cooler than the air going in.

I suppose amps are different than computers because in a computer you really want to isolate your cooling, certain aspects don't generate heat, certain aspects dont need to be cold.
    I suppose in the case of this amp since it isn't overheating to begin with you wouldn't need to get too intensive.
    Pop out those 2 20mm fans and replace with a 60mm fan of variable speeds. You'll increase airflow without much noise. Im not sure what kind of electrical interference this can provide though as far as sound quality.
    I guess I'm just a Go big or go home guy, you probably dont need to do anything to the amp, but why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    No offense, but winning a competition or two does not make you an expert in thermodynamics.

I design, build, and implement audio gear to last the long haul, I do not farm out to the Chinese,I build it right here, and it works, nearly forever 24/7/365 including public safety applications. I have designed, manufactured, and sold out gear designs for the professional audio industry.

I design and build audio systems for recording studios, concert venues, lecture halls and simple classrooms, prior I have 10 years touring experience as a FOH, monitor, and systems engineer, A1.

As of now I am chief engineer for 12 recording studios, 5 lecture halls, and 63 classrooms at a Big 10 university.

You ain't gonna slide nothing past me.

I just happen to drive an EP3
    Sir in no way did I mean to place any offence to you. I see you post and agree with you on most if not all issues( I didnt see you disagree with what I said) Others here seem to speak from what they are told by others and probably have never actually mounted an amp upside down before. I have before and have never heard of anyone that has had issues with them mounted in this way. Now maybe somewhere some time someone may have known someone that had an amp that was mounted upside down and it blew. I dont in any way contest that. I do however believe that they did not send it to an individual such as yourself who could diagnose and say yup its because it was mounted upside down and got too hot. Chad I see your skills I have read and looked at your install since the first time you posted that god auful looking ported box with the ports on the exterior , and yes if memory serves me correct they are externally mounted because that box was originally a sealed boxI(please dont hate me if my memory is failing and it was really designed that way). I and you both have probably seen the people who talk the right talk and say everything that someone tells you to say or a magazine says. Few people here have tested and tried, and failed sometimes all in the name of learning more than what your friend said or the installer or that car audio/auto sound and security magazine tells you.

And for the record I hold no degrees in thermaldynamics but comprehend what a heatsink is for, which sadly in the car audio the large ones are just to make you think you are getting a better amp half the time.

I have a feeling I'm one of the "others" James is speaking of.

After being an installer for the past 14-15 years (I'm 34), I've seen some pretty crazy shit, including several customers from a now defunct local shop who used to mount amps upside down RELIGIOUSLY.

Those idiots used to mount them on the underside of the rear deck on about 50% of they cars they did. 4 channels, sub amps, processors, you name it, they mounted it there.

Customers would roll up to us wondering why their amps kept shutting off. They popped the trunk, look up and see amps upside down.

Pull the amp down, all impedences check fine, properly grounded, heatsink warm, bottom plate (now top plate) was blazing hot. I explain to the customer how heat rises and the heat is going back through the circuit board and sitting there.

Charge the customer to move the amps, mount them properly, etc. Never had amp problems again.

I mean, it may be first hand experience from 1999-2002, but it's still something I dealt with and fixed.

Your amp may do just fine, but from my hands on experience I would'nt do it.

Quote Originally Posted by VegaS10 View Post
    I have a feeling I'm one of the "others" James is speaking of.

After being an installer for the past 14-15 years (I'm 34), I've seen some pretty crazy shit, including several customers from a now defunct local shop who used to mount amps upside down RELIGIOUSLY.

Those idiots used to mount them on the underside of the rear deck on about 50% of they cars they did. 4 channels, sub amps, processors, you name it, they mounted it there.

Customers would roll up to us wondering why their amps kept shutting off. They popped the trunk, look up and see amps upside down.

Pull the amp down, all impedences check fine, properly grounded, heatsink warm, bottom plate (now top plate) was blazing hot. I explain to the customer how heat rises and the heat is going back through the circuit board and sitting there.

Charge the customer to move the amps, mount them properly, etc. Never had amp problems again.

I mean, it may be first hand experience from 1999-2002, but it's still something I dealt with and fixed.

Your amp may do just fine, but from my hands on experience I would'nt do it.
    One of the "others"! LOL

The other "others"?

Quote Originally Posted by vegas10 View Post

the other "others"?
    lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information