Close

D3 xx brace owners!! i have a question about your cats

quick question. does your xx brace rub against your cat and if so what did you do to remedy this problem?

i just installed the xx brace and the cat's heat shield is rubbing against the xx brace.

does removing the heat shield have any con's? i'd like to think that honda put a heat shield there only to protect mechanics and the general public from burning themselves when working under their cars, but is there any other reason?

i want to remove the shield so i get more clearance between the xxbrace and my cat. i'm just worried that some problem will arise in the future from me removing the heat shield.

any constructive input will be appreciated. thanks!

Remove the heat shield it will be ok without it. I dont even know why its on there that thing gets so hot it doesnt even matter if it has one.

-Rob

cool. thanks

2002 EP & 2013 FB - K24 all day! SinisterCivicSi's Avatar
    yeah just take the shield off. i have had an aftermarket cat w/ no shield for uh... like 4 years now with no issues.

I believe it would be fine to take it off, but the heat shield does a few things.
    It attempts to protect expensive catalytic converters from rusting.
    It creates a thermal barrier, keeping heat in; the air between the shield and the cat is a very good insulator. This is because catalytic converters work best when hot, its an emissions thing.

Thread Information