Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Track Brake Pad Wear Question

Okay, I've noticed something a little odd and I have a theory about it but I want to see what you guys thing.

My car is a mostly track car. I have Wilwood 12.2" rotors and 4 piston calipers. I run Wilwood's poly B pad compound on the track because I like its nice linear friction curve under heat. A very predictable pad.

I've noticed an odd pattern of wear though. The left front pads wear out first, with the outside pad on that wheel wearing significantly before the inside pad. Enough so that the outside pad will be nearly down to metal and I'll still have nearly 1/4 of the inside pad left. The right front wheel will have nearly even wear between the inside and the outside and will have much more pad material left than the left side.

My theory is that all the tracks I run are run clockwise. This puts me making more right hand turns so that the left side of the car is loaded more. More load on that side of the car means more traction there and so more brake torque. Thats the only thing I can think of anyway. If anyone else has an ideal please feel free to chime in.

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    sounds right. could there be any play in the wheel bearing from the abuse?

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolimport View Post
    We did a precautionary change of the front wheel bearings while everything was apart. There was no real indicator of wear on the bearings that came out.

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    if you wanna see bearing wear, the hubs I put on the 86, when I bolted on the wheels, there was almost a half inch of vertical rock. looks like 2 more parts just got added to my list.

Is there more wear on the top half of the outside pads than on the bottom half?
    Your theory makes sense but I dont think the rotor should be wiggling inside the calipers enough to make any difference as to which pad wears more; the inside or the outside.
    Puzzling scenario.
    I'm not too sure how the mechanics of the brake work, do the inside and outside move towards the rotor or is the inside stationary and the outside pulled inwards?

May wind Oct. rain
    If you are running clockwise on every track such as making more right hand turns, the distribution will be different. You will sometimes notice this in tire wear as well. I notice that my passenger side tire @ 1/32th toe wears a lot faster than my driver side tire since I only run the course in the same direction every time I do open track @ Button Willow.

Quote Originally Posted by v1c10us View Post
    Is there more wear on the top half of the outside pads than on the bottom half?
    Your theory makes sense but I dont think the rotor should be wiggling inside the calipers enough to make any difference as to which pad wears more; the inside or the outside.
    Puzzling scenario.
    I'm not too sure how the mechanics of the brake work, do the inside and outside move towards the rotor or is the inside stationary and the outside pulled inwards?
    Yes, the top of the pad does wear more than the bottom of the pad. The Wilwoods are fixed 4 pistons calipers so both sides press in to the middle. Theoretically it should be perfectly even but of course no system is going to be perfect.

Banned
    my money is on the abs moving brake loads around on you.....

The top of the pad will wear slightly more than the bottom, the surfaces of the rotor further from the center are traveling at more inches per revolution, more speed, more friction, more wear. It isnt much but over time it does have an accumulative affect.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    The top of the pad will wear slightly more than the bottom, the surfaces of the rotor further from the center are traveling at more inches per revolution, more speed, more friction, more wear. It isnt much but over time it does have an accumulative affect.
    That sounds like it'd make sense to me.

Are your rotors cross-drilled/slotted? This could accelerate the whole process mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    When I refer to the top of the pad I am not referring to the outside edge. From inside edge to outside edge is fairly consistent. When I was saying the top I was actually referring to one end of the pad as it is mounted in the caliper. Although now that I think about it I have to go home and double check and see if it is the top or the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by skep18 View Post
    That sounds like it'd make sense to me.

Are your rotors cross-drilled/slotted? This could accelerate the whole process mentioned above.
    Not drilled or slotted. Blank rotors.

It is common for pads to wear more on one side than the other (top to bottom).

Wilwood and others sell calipers which have a different size piston bore on the top and bottom to account for this.

From Wilwood:
    "The differential bore pattern balances pad loading against mechanical influences and changes in temperature over the length of the pad to help maintain even pad wear".

The "clockwise" theory you stated does hold water, but I would also look at the pistons on the outboard left front caliper to make sure they are not damaged and are freely going back into the caliper when the brakes are released.

If they are sticking any, it might be causing your pad wear problem.

Banned
    I still think it is your abs moving brake load on you....In a right hand turn, the brake that will get most of the braking power is the one that has the most grip. Your left wheel has most of the cars mass on it so your brakes are going to high load there. Your right tire is being unweighted thus, you abs system is shiffting your brake load to the left when it see's lock up....

I think this is the racing gods telling you that its time for a smaller ft swaybar..

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolimport View Post
    if u had wheel bearing play ull see the wear on a street drivin tire, but for track , the easiest way is u need to jack up the car and actually move nudge the tire to check for play, or you can put ur car on jacks remove the tire, get a dial indicator and look from there...

Quote Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
    I still think it is your abs moving brake load on you....In a right hand turn, the brake that will get most of the braking power is the one that has the most grip. Your left wheel has most of the cars mass on it so your brakes are going to high load there. Your right tire is being unweighted thus, you abs system is shiffting your brake load to the left when it see's lock up....

I think this is the racing gods telling you that its time for a smaller ft swaybar..
    Without this turning into an ABS thread, I am 99.9% sure this is impossible...

The EP3 is not equipped with an "Electronic Stability Control" or "Electronic Brake Distribution" system.

As per page 19-39 of the Helms manual, the only sensors which input information to the ABS module are the wheel speed sensors. There is no mention of a yaw sensor in any of the circuit diagrams. A yaw sensor would be needed in any system which provides the features you described.

Lastly, the three modes in which the ABS system can operate are (page 19-40):
    1. pressure intensifying
    2. pressure reducing
    3. pressure retaining

No mention here either of brake distribution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information