Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New battery helped my MPG

I found out a few months ago my battery was dead. It still started the car just fine but if I left anything on for more than 10 minutes without the car running I would need a jump.

So after my credit card came in I got a new battery from walmart. To my surprise my mpg increased from 26-28. Not great but every little bit counts. Just thought I would give everyone else the heads up to get their battery checked, it can affect more than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by BobSassafrass View Post
    I found out a few months ago my battery was dead. It still started the car just fine but if I left anything on for more than 10 minutes without the car running I would need a jump.

So after my credit card came in I got a new battery from walmart. To my surprise my mpg increased from 26-28. Not great but every little bit counts. Just thought I would give everyone else the heads up to get their battery checked, it can affect more than you think.
    Remember that when you remove the battery it also resets the ECU and it has to re-learn. That could be the reason mang

lol....did you get a lighter battery...by maybe 200 lbs?

Nope I've reset the ecu multiple times, and disconnected the battery too definitely nothing with the ECU. I thought it was pretty crazy that it helped my mpg also so thats why I figured it was worth letting others know.

ehhhh, to be honest, i think your 2 mpg gain could have been the result of a variety of factors. from daily driving conditions to unordinary tailgating or what not, i think you should test this for a week or so and update us. thanks for this thread though, very interesting.

lol McCain's energy plan to conflict Obama's tire inflation. " Get a walmart battery, raise ur mpg! "

Actually I waited 3 weeks before posting. Before I would get 26-27 on every single tank. After the battery I have gotten 28.3, 28.6, and 28.1.

I also used the same gas for the past 3 months, drive 70 with cruise control on the highway, and shift at 3100.

OG Lurker
    like the earlier poster said....it is probably the ecu thing

ephatch member
    A dead battery can put alot of strain on an alternator = needs more power to turn, like AC...it's not totally far fetched..

Quote Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
    A dead battery can put alot of strain on an alternator = needs more power to turn, like AC...it's not totally far fetched..
    Makes sense...

A little off-topic here, but how long are the stock batteries supposed to last?

Quote Originally Posted by drjd888 View Post
    usaually a couple of years, depending on the condition and brand of battery. I always just by an optima, never have to worry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drjd888 View Post
    A week to 10 days

pop lockin khmer guy danielakatoxic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devinblue View Post
    usaually a couple of years, depending on the condition and brand of battery. I always just by an optima, never have to worry!!!
    hell yea. thats what i did.

my stock battery lasted 4 years to the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information