Close

I <3 whitechapel illusionsoflife's Avatar

1 psi of boost...why? ( thinking wastegate)

ok so my kit was installed 2000 miles ago. had no problem at all with install or anything after that. but now i believe my wastegate is stuck open. heres why i think that

i double checked everything. no leaks. all pipping is tight hoses are together. when i floor it i got about 1 psi of boost. the bov still goes off but nothing like it did at 10 psi. i get no boost at all. ill add this but dont believe its the problem. my daughter thought it would be fun to play with my boost gauge. the nylon line broke but only broke off right as it goes into the boost gauge. i taped the line up. i over did it. used an extream amount of tape and heard no air going through it after that. after that happened i still boosted a while i was going to hook it back up tomorrow cause my autometer cups came in today. any ideas guys?

10.80@138 mph
    Quote Originally Posted by illusionsoflife View Post
    ok so my kit was installed 2000 miles ago. had no problem at all with install or anything after that. but now i believe my wastegate is stuck open. heres why i think that

i double checked everything. no leaks. all pipping is tight hoses are together. when i floor it i got about 1 psi of boost. the bov still goes off but nothing like it did at 10 psi. i get no boost at all. ill add this but dont believe its the problem. my daughter thought it would be fun to play with my boost gauge. the nylon line broke but only broke off right as it goes into the boost gauge. i taped the line up. i over did it. used an extream amount of tape and heard no air going through it after that. after that happened i still boosted a while i was going to hook it back up tomorrow cause my autometer cups came in today. any ideas guys?
    Where are you reading boost from if you dont have a gauge? I say fix the gauge and check for any cut vacuum lines.

I doubt the waste gate is stuck it would sound like you had no exhaust all the time. Re run the boost gauge right , cut off the messed up part and get a new brass crimp thing. Do a test run and if its not good check and tighten all the hose clamps and you should go buy some t bolt clamps

What changed when it started reading only one psi? Let me guess it happened about the same time the boost gauge got fucked up huh? I say it is from a vaccum leak like the boost gauge.

ephatch member
    yeah if the wg was stuck open, it would be loud. really loud. i think its either bad gauge or u need to tripple check couplers and ic pipes. i had to check like 3 or 4 times thinking each time that there was no way that i missed a boost leak. just check again.

adam

Hooked up gauge. Same problem. Checked everything for a leak like ten times. Maybe bov?

ephatch member
    bov would be a boost leak.

adam

Quote Originally Posted by sidriverep3 View Post
    bov would be a boost leak.adam
    I get four pounds at wot right now.

i would seriously re check all your piping

especially in the wheel well area tires tend to rub the pipes in that location and cause a hole

make sure they are fully seated also check the coupling that attaches to the throttle body

bc i had a similar problem with my greddy kit where the coupler would come off just enough to look like it is fully attached to it but open on the underside enough to cause a substantial boost leak
    i once had a 592whp ep on pump gas, i sold it and bought a Z
    (heed my advice i know what im doing)

illusion just texted me he said the coupler in the wheelwell had come loose
    i once had a 592whp ep on pump gas, i sold it and bought a Z
    (heed my advice i know what im doing)

Quote Originally Posted by weltall View Post
    simple fix! lol

i feel retarded. it was on the far side. i had rubbed my hands all around it but it was wedged so perfect you wouldnt know until you take it off then i realized it was messed up. but it back on and bam! boosted again. it was the 11th time i checked the couplers. so i agree. check, check, check, and recheck

lol omg

Thread Information