Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OEM Ball Joint FTMFL!!!!!!

Man what a day. All I wanted to do was replace the driver side ball joint boot between the LCA and knuckle, but the Ball joint didn't wanna come out of the LCA. But the ball joint decided to depart from the mounted part on the knuckle. I DO NOT KNOW HOW THIS HAPPEND! I did everything the way I was supposed to do so. But I lost. So replacing the ball joint tomorrow morning (Hopefully) if nothing else evil happens. I also broke a $13 screw driver and put a nice lovely gash in the paint on my right fender (GO ME)

It literally took me to take the whole LCA off and literally whack at the ball joint to get it to release from the LCA using a sledge hammer. Took a ish load as well.

Here's Pics, They speak for themselves.

There a little beat up due to after math of just trying to remove them. After they separated, I just didn't give a shyt anymore.

BTW DAVE (Ba82Ep3), your a life saver man, I appreciate all the stuff you help me with.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Si757 View Post
    Man what a day. All I wanted to do was replace the driver side ball joint boot between the LCA and knuckle, but the Ball joint didn't wanna come out of the LCA. But the ball joint decided to depart from the mounted part on the knuckle. I DO NOT KNOW HOW THIS HAPPEND! I did everything the way I was supposed to do so. But I lost. So replacing the ball joint tomorrow morning (Hopefully) if nothing else evil happens. I also broke a $13 screw driver and put a nice lovely gash in the paint on my right fender (GO ME)

It literally took me to take the whole LCA off and literally whack at the ball joint to get it to release from the LCA using a sledge hammer. Took a ish load as well.

Here's Pics, They speak for themselves.

There a little beat up due to after math of just trying to remove them. After they separated, I just didn't give a shyt anymore.

BTW DAVE (Ba82Ep3), your a life saver man, I appreciate all the stuff you help me with.

I'm going to tackle this myself today... I am going to drop the tranny and was going to take advantage of the situation to replace the boots, now you got me worried. ..

lol i had to do the same thing last week but i somehow hammered it out of the lca. I hammered really close to where the balljoint goes in and sprayed it with some lube. I let it sit for a while and hammered some more till it poped out.

-Rob

Great, now I'm happy...was under the car PB blasting various exhaust nuts/bolts the other day, in anticipation of a DC5S install soon, and notice both boots are annihilated...and now my fears of this job being a real PITA are apparently confirmed.
    Damn.

Any info on how to not make that replacement a complete bloody mess?

If I ever need this done, I'm paying a shop to do it.

Well.. the ball joint has won... solelive and I spent Friday night and most of today trying to take that ball joint off using everything you can think out... with no success.

We have destroyed a ball joint separator tool, bent a 5 ft pole on the ball joint fork, attempted using a pitman puller... and the fucking ball joint is just sitting there laughing at us... not even a budge!

One cool duck, with a hat Heitzke's Avatar
    Wow that's terrible man. I replaced both boots last week and it only took manning up for few minutes with a ball joint fork to pop them off. Sorry to hear you're having so many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Heitzke View Post
    Wow that's terrible man. I replaced both boots last week and it only took manning up for few minutes with a ball joint fork to pop them off. Sorry to hear you're having so many problems.
    So what's your technique? Any particular trick, or did you just Hulk the fuck out on those bitches?

Quote Originally Posted by gemini si View Post
    So what's your technique? Any particular trick, or did you just Hulk the fuck out on those bitches?
    No real tricks honestly. I just made sure the fork was on there securely, slipped a pipe on the end of the fork and pushed like hell.

Actually, this just occurred to me, but if I'm just replacing the boot, does the ball joint actually have to come off/out? Or can I just pop the new boot on there and be done with it?

Actually, this just occurred to me, but if I'm just replacing the boot, does the ball joint actually have to come off/out? Or can I just pop the new boot on there and be done with it?
    The boot goes over the part that is matted against the lower control arm, not on the nut side.

Unless you slit the boot and get creative with the joining process, there is no way for you to install it without the ball joint coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargola View Post
    The boot goes over the part that is matted against the lower control arm, not on the nut side.

Unless you slit the boot and get creative with the joining process, there is no way for you to install it without the ball joint coming off.
    Right, the ball joint has to be separated from the LCA in order for the boot to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Heitzke View Post
    Right, the ball joint has to be separated from the LCA in order for the boot to be replaced.
    Which is basically what I was tryna do when THIS (Look up) happened. SO Id advise to just replace the whole thing if your boot tears, or be prepared to.

Which is basically what I was tryna do when THIS (Look up) happened. SO Id advise to just replace the whole thing if your boot tears, or be prepared to.
    Sucks.

What did you use to try to separate the two?

Sucks.
    There's such a big price difference between the boots and the joint, why not give it a whirl and see if it works out well for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information