Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noisy suspension

OK I tried Skunk2's with factory shocks, and had noise, so I went with tokico shocks and springs......still had noise. I pulled the fronts appart 3 times, greased every square inch heavily the last time....still have noise, what the f&*% is it?

My suspension pops like crazy up front. I think I need to change my strut mounts. The plastic bearings seemed a little effed up.

The back creaks quite a bit while corning too. I think that is probably just cause of the aftermarket suspension with the tight as hel strut bar?

no one else?

I have a popping/clunking noise that comes mainly from the front passenger side, and its only bad during hard cornering. I took my assymbly apart thinkin something was weird and not greased properly but that wasnt the case. I think its the springs making chatter cause the h&r's that i have dont have the upper rubber seals around the coils, so i ordered the spring silencers that tein makes and hopefully that does the trick. we will see next week. good luck.

My suspension pops too, and seems to be mostly from the front passenger side.
    The springs will be replaced in about a week so while it's apart we may find something obvious.

when does it happen??? turns only??? bumps only??? etc...

might be your top hats if they're not lubed properly... could also be your tie rods...

Has happened even turning into the driveway without any extreme driving.
    If it's tie rods then what would need to be done?

Banned
    did you take the plastic lineing from your stock springs and put them on the lowering springs?.....you might be hearing the coils hitting each other.

also check your strut bearing. if it happens during turns, this could be the strut bearing. ep's come with those crappy plastic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
    did you take the plastic lineing from your stock springs and put them on the lowering springs?.....you might be hearing the coils hitting each other.
    I bought the car used that already had the lowered springs, but am switching back to OEM springs possibly this weekend. I already have new bump stops too, which the current setup is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by benkieboy View Post
    also check your strut bearing. if it happens during turns, this could be the strut bearing. ep's come with those crappy plastic ones.
    I will check the bearings, or make sure that they are checked (if someone else does it).
    Will it be obvious just by looking if they are worn?

I just replaced my front Skunk2 springs with stock ones.
    The bearings were fine and well greased.
    When putting the top hat back on I noticed that on both sides the arrows didn't line up like they were supposed to and the top hat had been scraping where it meets the chasis. I guess whoever lowered the car didn't have them turned correctly.
    Anyway, no more popping!

ephatch member
    i have that creeking noise also so I just bought tokico d-specs with eibach pro kit. my shocks were leaking to but i hope it stopped that noise

I had those, and as you turned the steering, the springs would pop as they settle into place. Unlike stock springs, that have a groove to fit in, the skunk2 springs can spin free. It doesn't really affect anything as far as I can tell, just noise, thump in the steering, bad geometry angles if lowered, wrong spring rates in the front, aside from that, they're perfect.

a little explanation to this..... as the spring compresses it veryyyy slowly slides around away from the metal flange on the bottom of the strut where its can go past, but it slides backwards in the opposite way.I'm on stock springs with stock struts and I've given up on trying to make my springs silent. Once the noise gets to the point where it pops every time i turn my steering wheel I simply jack the car up so the load is off the spring, grab the spring and twist it back in to place. This will get rid of the noise for about a month and its a a lot easier to do than taking everything apart. Once the noise comes back, repeat the process.

Quote Originally Posted by benkieboy View Post

Just what i was about to say.
    Get a new bearing , lubricate the fuck out of them. clean the top hat so u get all the dust, chips, rocks and shit out of it ( I USED WD40 to clean them ) and reassemble your strut.
    Last edited by fobman; 10-26-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information