Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    here is the problem, there are three little balls that normally rest in slots in a cup, thats how the joint works, these balls are on the outer axel side held by a spider and are spring loaded outwards against the joint slots, and if you pull the axel out too far, they pop out. you can feel them under the rubber boot. the fix is really really easy, just push them in and push in the axel, I will now include a picture to demonstrate. someone save this pic because my photobucket might not always be around and I'd like this to stay
    top two pictures are the axel and joint, one looking cross section from the side and one from looking straight at it (the right side picture, looks like if there were no dust boot, conceptually at least). they are in the happy normal operational state. the bottom two show where the axel has popped out and the axel wont go back in. just press the balls in as shown, and it slip right in. took me 5 seconds once I figured this out.

enjoy

dichotomous you are a great artist, such skill!

Nice illustration though.

sneaking that into my REAL work of designing a major college's new quad's stormwater pickup and treatment system without getting caught and THATS what ya get.... I'm actually really good at making beautiful drawings.

The only problem is is actually squeezing those balls back into the joint.

This is why doing my own suspension work scares me

AHHH easier than i though...ive read about the crazy axle popping out but its all fine. the first side i did (driver) popped out and it took me 3-4 hours to put back in. i must say MugenReplica give me the advice about putting on the spare wheel and using it as a steering wheel and poping it back in WORKS!!. the passengerside only took me 10-15 minutes. i held the spare wheel at 9 and 6 or a little lower and using my shoulder to lean in on it and slowly spinning it and leaning in. i heard clinks and clunks then i put my hands on the very bottom of the spare wheel and and pulled up with my shoulder and it popped back in.

Last night I was installing my front HFP spring and strut units. The passenger side went smoothly. Unfortunately, the driver's side did not as the axle apparently popped out leaving the brake caliper sitting at approximately at a 70 degree angle. I could not get the axle to go back in. I came in the house to look for a DYI on getting the axle back in and was fortunate to find this current thread which addressed my immediate problem.

I took Mustclime's advice and loosely installed the strut/spring unit by the three upper nuts and inserted the lower bolt that connects the brake unit to the strut/spring unit. I then slowly turned the brake disc, but it never felt like it was aligning up - after an hour or so I gave up for the night. Today, I found Dichotomous' fine CAD drawings and his instructions and I think "now I can do it". I went out to the garage, I reached into the motor side of the axle boot to find the balls, but I didn't feel any balls to press. Now I'm not an expert at feeling for balls, but it doesn't seem like this should be so challenging!

Any additional advise would be helpful - I know I don't want to remove the boot!

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!

2002 EP & 2013 FB - K24 all day! SinisterCivicSi's Avatar
    looks like this thread helped more than one person out, great job guys with the advice and illustrations!

this is sticky worthy.. so now we wont have 15 threads on the same thing, anyone with a loose axle can just click on this thread!

my mistake guys, it was brought to my attention that i closed the thread - i clicked on the wrong option....

noob moment.

the thread is now open -

HOOOORAYYY!!! now my idle sounds weird...a slight very slight noise

Legendary Ephatcher ep3moschini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh604 View Post
    HOOOORAYYY!!! now my idle sounds weird...a slight very slight noise
    well I can almost 100% gaurntee that your idle would have nothing to do with your axle

1967 Firebird. . . Yeah its alright

Legendary Ephatcher

is it almost a gurantee that the axles will pop out? seems like it is imminent

Quote Originally Posted by dichotomous View Post
    here is the problem, there are three little balls that normally rest in slots in a cup, thats how the joint works, these balls are on the outer axel side held by a spider and are spring loaded outwards against the joint slots, and if you pull the axel out too far, they pop out. you can feel them under the rubber boot. the fix is really really easy, just push them in and push in the axel, I will now include a picture to demonstrate. someone save this pic because my photobucket might not always be around and I'd like this to stay
    top two pictures are the axel and joint, one looking cross section from the side and one from looking straight at it (the right side picture, looks like if there were no dust boot, conceptually at least). they are in the happy normal operational state. the bottom two show where the axel has popped out and the axel wont go back in. just press the balls in as shown, and it slip right in. took me 5 seconds once I figured this out.

enjoy
    As my prior posting on this thread states I am currently trying to pop the driver's side axle back in. Since I'm having a hard time, I thought I would look at the Service Manual posted in the DIY section. FWIW, Section 16 of the 2003 Service Manual shows the "Balls" mounted (not spring loaded in a channel) on the "Spider" with "Rollers" sitting on the "Balls". From the way it is shown, I didn't see how the "Balls" could be pressed in. Is there a difference in design of the "Spider" for different model years?

Any additional insight would be appreciated.

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!
    Last edited by spydur; 09-06-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maestro View Post
    is it almost a gurantee that the axles will pop out? seems like it is imminent
    if you dont secure the axles - YES - its about a 99.9% they will pop out. to avoid this, get something to tie the rotor up to the engine bay to "hold" the axle in place.

having another set of hands to hold the rotor from pushing out is helpful also.

popping the axles back in is tricky. on my ep i had one out and my fiance worked on it about 1.5 hours and it finally went back in. then on his rsx, he worked on his axle that was out for a GOOD hour - got pissed and i told him to walk away. i said "fuck it" and tried, i got it in 10 minutes. the other side he got back in almost instantly.

the thing that always helped us is that we would push down on the entire rotor assembly while pushing the top of the rotor towards the transmission, then sway it back and forth slightly.... all at the same time. once its lined up the axle kinda sucks itself back in.

the next k series we worked on we tied the rotors up.... no axle out, it made the job ALOT quicker.

this is exactly what it looks like... if you can see from this pic

*compliments of last years MDBBQ*

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information