Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Legendary Ephatcher ep3moschini's Avatar
    Just dont do this. . .

1967 Firebird. . . Yeah its alright

Legendary Ephatcher

2002 EP & 2013 FB - K24 all day! SinisterCivicSi's Avatar
    lol bruce's was a much cleaner break... that tarred track helped i guess. lol

slow & quiet again 4angrybadgers's Avatar
    My axles popped out several times tonight (installing HFP suspension) and a few times in the past. I just slowly rotated the brake rotor while pushing in on the assembly - within a minute the axle lined up and popped back in.

Quote Originally Posted by dichotomous View Post
    sneaking that into my REAL work of designing a major college's new quad's stormwater pickup and treatment system without getting caught and THATS what ya get.... I'm actually really good at making beautiful drawings.
    I wanted to go into drafting and designing area back in high school, but never followed through. I should have stayed with it.

I am surprised how some of you have been able to pop your axles in. My first coilover install was a nightmare and I could not get them to go in without removing the boot. PITA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterCivicSi View Post
    if you dont secure the axles - YES - its about a 99.9% they will pop out. to avoid this, get something to tie the rotor up to the engine bay to "hold" the axle in place.

having another set of hands to hold the rotor from pushing out is helpful also.

popping the axles back in is tricky. on my ep i had one out and my fiance worked on it about 1.5 hours and it finally went back in. then on his rsx, he worked on his axle that was out for a GOOD hour - got pissed and i told him to walk away. i said "fuck it" and tried, i got it in 10 minutes. the other side he got back in almost instantly.

the thing that always helped us is that we would push down on the entire rotor assembly while pushing the top of the rotor towards the transmission, then sway it back and forth slightly.... all at the same time. once its lined up the axle kinda sucks itself back in.

the next k series we worked on we tied the rotors up.... no axle out, it made the job ALOT quicker.
    SinisterCivicSi:

My popped out driver's side axle is sitting at an approximate 70 degree angle and is suspended by the lower bolt on the brake assembly from a new, loosely fitted HFP strut/spring assembly (method suggested by Mustclime).

So far, none of the other suggestions have worked for me. I was looking at your thread but, I'm confused as to how one would push down on the entire rotor assembly while pushing the top of the rotor towards the transmission then sway it back and forth slightly. Could you expand on your description? Is the brake assembly totally free of the new strut/spring assembly? Have you already rotated the rotor and found the proper location for the joint so the axle can pop back in? Any additional insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!

Quote Originally Posted by spydur View Post
    SinisterCivicSi:

My popped out driver's side axle is sitting at an approximate 70 degree angle and is suspended by the lower bolt on the brake assembly from a new, loosely fitted HFP strut/spring assembly (method suggested by Mustclime).

So far, none of the other suggestions have worked for me. I was looking at your thread but, I'm confused as to how one would push down on the entire rotor assembly while pushing the top of the rotor towards the transmission then sway it back and forth slightly. Could you expand on your description? Is the brake assembly totally free of the new strut/spring assembly? Have you already rotated the rotor and found the proper location for the joint so the axle can pop back in? Any additional insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!
    have you given the spare tire trick? that thing helpd me the most and after i did it on one side the other side was cake.

Quote Originally Posted by jh604 View Post
    have you given the spare tire trick? that thing helpd me the most and after i did it on one side the other side was cake.
    jh604:

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have tried the spare tire trick. I guess the reason it didn't work for me is that my car is on stands in my garage and not up on a lift. Therefore, I can't get as much leverage (standing, pushing up and using my shoulder) and the spare adds quite a bit of weight. I even tried to take a 1" x 6", drill bolt pattern holes in it so I could mount it to the hub, but I discovered the bolt studs aren't long enough to do this.

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!

jh604:

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have tried the spare tire trick. I guess the reason it didn't work for me is that my car is on stands in my garage and not up on a lift. Therefore, I can't get as much leverage (standing, pushing up and using my shoulder) and the spare adds quite a bit of weight. I even tried to take a 1" x 6", drill bolt pattern holes in it so I could mount it to the hub, but I discovered the bolt studs aren't long enough to do this.

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!
    mine were also on stands on my drive way. i put on the spare with 2 lugs on so it wont fall off. made sure the wheel was straight(i dont think is matters) but anyways made it straight held it at around 4 oclock and 8 o clock some where lower so you can lift up at the same time as spinning. i applied lots of pressure with my shoulder ( legs pushing up so my arms can spin it ) and spun is slowly and tried to hear the "clunk or cling" after i got that i continued to spin it and every rotation it would " cling or clunk " at the same spot. then lifted up with quite an amount of force and it popped back in.

FINALLY!!!!

I just managed to get my axle to pop back in. Thanks to all of you who posted ways to accomplish this feat. After four frustrating attempts, I put the spare on for the second time, pushed, turned and in less than five minutes it partially went in ... then, I rotated the wheel slowly while pushing and it went in the rest of the way. I was almost shocked, but happy because this frustrating experience was behind me.

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!

FINALLY!!!!

I just managed to get my axle to pop back in. Thanks to all of you who posted ways to accomplish this feat. After four frustrating attempts, I put the spare on for the second time, pushed, turned and in less than five minutes it partially went in ... then, I rotated the wheel slowly while pushing and it went in the rest of the way. I was almost shocked, but happy because this frustrating experience was behind me.

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!
    YAHOO!!! haha celebration...it just takes time and it will go in

sorry, yeah its the rotors that sit on the balls, I was going for a simple easy to understand thing, squeeze in and go you know. it does help to have the car in gear while doing this.

I've worked on other civic suspensions in the past and never had this problem, but it happened when I put coilovers on my EP3, does anyone know why this happens so easily on these cars?

this problem completely eliminates the "hondas are easy to work on" stereotype. i've done many things on many makes and models of cars and this was by far the most frustrating thing ive ever ran in to. getting it back in place though was an amazing feeling lol

Help!

i got a new one to add:

my axles popped out too. both of them. i installed sportlines today. the driver side popped back in after using the whole spare tire trick with me trying to feel the balls lol.
    the problem i have now is the passanger side, tho it popped back in, has this crazy wobble to it at 35+mph... its bad. i havent taken it over 45. just did a quick up and around the block. first i thought the lugs were torqued in the wrong order. so i pulled all 4 wheels and put them back together. took it for another drive and still pretty bad. im not even going to risk it on the freeway. it pulls to the right too. has to be the axle right?
    Solution? should i try and pop it completely out again?
    i have the wheel off now. i dont see anything obvious. when i turn the axle by rotating the rotor i see a little bit of wobble. i tried feeling for bearings but i didnt feel anything earlier. ill try again in a bit. is it possible that the axle is screwed? that would suck, but if it is i rather just replace/fixit than waste my time.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-29-2008 at 12:47 AM.

are you sure its popped in all the way, if it is than yea you need a new axle

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information