Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Satellite radio install

Hey i'm looking for ideas on how to do a sat radio install (either sirius or xm) but I want it stealth and as indiscreet as possible. Also, ideally something that I don't have to unplug and carry with me each time I leave the car to prevent theft (so that means no aftermarket HU when I have to bring the faceplate everywhere). I'd like to keep my OEM deck installed.

Any ideas or suggestions? Or is this just not possible?

I think its pretty much not possible. As far as I know you either have to deal with a portable XM/Sirius or go with an aftermarket headunit w/ tuner. http://www.tss-radio.com/ may be able to help you, supposedly they are really helpful.

In-Dash stock radios - I donno if anything there is gonna help you for what you looking for its mostly for cars who already have XM tuners like newer honda/acura

yeah you have to either have a headunit with the xm/sirus compatiblity or have a portable one. Also just recently xm and sirus has joined together to make a single satellite radio station so now you can get both for the price of one. I thing they're still trying to figure out how to work with the stations and go through some guidelines.

I wonder if there are any really tiny receiver units available that could be installed somewhere in the car where it's not super visible to theives, but still visible enough to be usable. Like a turbo timer or something...

I have a XM Sportster installed above my rearview mirror in my eg hatch.

No one ever sees it and I simply use the remote to change channels.

Yes this is possible.

You can obtain a XM radio that transmitts the signal thru a FM adaptor(XM unit plugs into radio antenna cable). The only item that is visible is a small handheld or remote mounted control unit.

I use the XM Commander and it is a 2 piece unit, the main unit is mounted in a location that is hidden from view and it has a cable to the control unit.

http://www.xmradio.com/commander/index.xmc

Also, I have not used the FM portion of my headunit since the car was new. I plan on removal of the ugly FM antenna and i will mount the ultra low profile XM antenna in it's location.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Is there a way to take off the current location of the stock stubby and retrofit a xm/sirius doo-hickey?

You can remove the current stubby FM antenna and permanently mount the XM antenna in the same location. When you remove the FM antenna the existing hole is more than enough to route the cable thru.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    Yes this is possible.

You can obtain a XM radio that transmitts the signal thru a FM adaptor(XM unit plugs into radio antenna cable). The only item that is visible is a small handheld or remote mounted control unit.

I use the XM Commander and it is a 2 piece unit, the main unit is mounted in a location that is hidden from view and it has a cable to the control unit.

http://www.xmradio.com/commander/index.xmc

Also, I have not used the FM portion of my headunit since the car was new. I plan on removal of the ugly FM antenna and i will mount the ultra low profile XM antenna in it's location.
    you've been most helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    You can remove the current stubby FM antenna and permanently mount the XM antenna in the same location. When you remove the FM antenna the existing hole is more than enough to route the cable thru.
    talon: is there a diy already made that you can think of?

I guess to do this install the top interior panel is going to have to be removed huh?

The headliner has to come down for removal/install of the FM antenna.

I hate the look of a satelite small handheld installed in the car. I am all about fit and finish. And handheld on the dash, nest to the radio, on winshield, visor is just not what I like to see. I like it when it is run through the HU. It looks way better IMO. And then your HU controls everything not just your volume.

Quote Originally Posted by phister View Post
    yeah you have to either have a headunit with the xm/sirus compatiblity or have a portable one. Also just recently xm and sirus has joined together to make a single satellite radio station so now you can get both for the price of one. I thing they're still trying to figure out how to work with the stations and go through some guidelines.
    They haven't started sharing content yet supposedly howard stern and some other programs are going to be available to people on XM in the next couple of of months for an extra monthly amount. I'm waiting for the sports package so i can get hockey

I left the stubby and snuck the XM wire under it, you DO have to remove the headliner or pull it down in hte rear, while you are in there defeat the sunroof half close "feature"

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    while you are in there defeat the sunroof half close "feature"
    Oh hell yeah! I had a few instances of wet seats due to this and not paying attention when I first got the car(I have since learned LOL)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information