Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    golan wants my weena thisisagame24's Avatar
    what mugsy said....but if you want to upgrade the fulid then go with the superblue. i used it and love it. def a big notice in lack of brake fade.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini si View Post
    Well shit on me!
    I had no idea...so, good fluid for a spirited daily driver? I'm a bit confused now.
    Well, OEM brake fluid should be flushed every few years, every other years is a good schedule. Something like Motul should probably be flushed yearly to maintain its optimum performance. However, even "wet" Motul 600 performs better then many DOT3 fluids do "Dry".

for a daily driver... you have many choices. ATE super Blue/Type 200 is a good one, as well as Ford HD... Yes Ford Heavy Duty brake fluid. its cheep and has a decent dry boil point. its wet boil point is crap, but its cheep enough to flush as needed and not brake the bank.

I run ATE super blue, its got a good dry boil point (Higher then Ford HD but lower then Motul 600) and its got a good service life. its also BMW's OEM brake fluid.

BTW, Fluid fade is unrecoverable. once the fluid has boiled the brake lines must be bled. Otherwise you'll have a continuously soft/spongy brake pedal.

So, if you've faded the brakes and once they cooled you had a firm pedal.. .then you didn't fade the fluid. However if you fade the brakes and when it cools you have a spongy brake pedal... then you've also faded the fluid (boiled)

i guess im a newb but whats the difference between wet and dry boiling points?

dry would be when the fluid is new and contains no moisture. wet is after the brake fluid has taken on moisture. i forget the % of water that will classify as wet.

thanks for the info mugsy

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
    I run ATE super blue, its got a good dry boil point (Higher then Ford HD but lower then Motul 600) and its got a good service life. its also BMW's OEM brake fluid.
    so i can walk into a BMW dealer and get there OEM brake fluid which is Super Blue??

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon208 View Post
    so i can walk into a BMW dealer and get there OEM brake fluid which is Super Blue??
    Yes but it will be packaged as 'bmw fluid' rather than ate superblue. Also my guess is that it will be bmw priced as well so you're better off getting it somewhere else.

sluck is prob right on the price being a lot higher at a bmw dealership.....i found super blue on line for like 12.99 a liter

Quote Originally Posted by MugsyTheGr8 View Post
    dry would be when the fluid is new and contains no moisture. wet is after the brake fluid has taken on moisture. i forget the % of water that will classify as wet.
    3% water is the standard wet measurement.

Yeah, don't buy super blue from BMW... unless you like spending twice as much for a can.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
    3% water is the standard wet measurement.

Yeah, don't buy super blue from BMW... unless you like spending twice as much for a can.
    thanks you, boss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information