Close

slow & quiet again 4angrybadgers's Avatar

putting together a clutch/pp/fly kit for a bolt-on a3 DD

My clutch is on its way out (Exedy Stage II) and I'm doing my research for a new one. I just have the stock a3 with i/h/e, so I want something mild (at most a Stage I kit). The Exedy Stage II isn't bad, and it was great when I had a JRSC, but stop-and-go traffic was a bit irritating sometimes (especially now that it's slipping erratically).

The reviews I've seen for Clutchnet clutches/pressure plates are good, and they have the best prices, so I'll probably go with them. The green Kevlar clutch and pressure plate are what I had picked out, $220 + shipping. I assume that they're made for the a2 flywheel (like most other kits), but I'll call Clutchnet just to make sure. Any comments on those?

I currently have an a2 flywheel, so I don't have to replace it. However, I am considering a semi-lightweight flywheel (12-14lbs.). I've seen a few from Competition, ACT, etc. but they're all $280+, which is more than I'm willing to spend. I've read a few good reviews on the "F1 Racing" lightweight flys, and they're only $145 or so on eBay, but I'm not too sure about their quality. Any comments?

wut is your hp/tq lookin like right now.....

Keep the a2 flywheel for now, no need in a light flywheel IMO. Go with either the Green Organic clutch or Green Kevlar clutch, And Id go ahead and throw the Yellow PP in to the mix for later modding if you plan on going farther..

Im using the Red Clutchnet PP and Green rated Organic Clutch disc and I love the combo, also mated up with the EP3 flywheel.

I would honestly just buy a NEW OEM clutch from Honda. for a DD it's the best clutch hands down.

Stock a3, bolt-ons, Kpro with the high-octane tune... I'm not putting down much more torque than stock. I'm not going to do any more power mods on the EP, so stock/Stage 1 is fine. The most racing I'll do is a few auto-x events and maybe a highway run against a friend.

03Si757, you have the a3 fly with the Clutchnet hardware? I assumed it was a2-specific...

Forevapmp, I might go OEM, but all the prices I've seen were the same or more expensive than Clutchnet's.

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    Stock a3, bolt-ons, Kpro with the high-octane tune... I'm not putting down much more torque than stock. I'm not going to do any more power mods on the EP, so stock/Stage 1 is fine. The most racing I'll do is a few auto-x events and maybe a highway run against a friend.

03Si757, you have the a3 fly with the Clutchnet hardware? I assumed it was a2-specific...

Forevapmp, I might go OEM, but all the prices I've seen were the same or more expensive than Clutchnet's.
    Have you PM'd Stoop??

4angrybadgers have you dynoed yet with the set up that you have right now?

for stock OEM clutch http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...atcgry5=CLUTCH

pretty good price. i might be buying a clutch after i fix my gas tank, cus my clutch is starting to act funny.

Greenwood Village, Colorado, United States
    the price of an OEM clutch might be a little more, but will last you 3-4 times as long. I also have the exedy stage 2 and I got 40K on it and it was shot. I replaced it about 10K ago. If the stock clutch could handle my turbo, I would use it without a doubt.
    mods:

Stuff

wow stock clutch that good eh. hmm and i really want to turbo my car in the near future. and stock clutch can't hold that.

Quote Originally Posted by Forevapmp View Post
    Have you PM'd Stoop??
    D'oh! I will.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Virus View Post
    4angrybadgers have you dynoed yet with the set up that you have right now?
    No. I'm removing the Skunk2 70mm exhaust eventually (good when I was supercharged, more of a hindrance now), so I won't do any street tuning until that's done. I probably won't dyno on this setup - it's just not worth the money for me.

Quote Originally Posted by clujalolo View Post
    for stock OEM clutch http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...atcgry5=CLUTCH

pretty good price. i might be buying a clutch after i fix my gas tank, cus my clutch is starting to act funny.
    Hmm, the price isn't as bad as I thought... and I bet Stoop can go a bit lower.

Quote Originally Posted by dj addicted View Post
    the price of an OEM clutch might be a little more, but will last you 3-4 times as long. I also have the exedy stage 2 and I got 40K on it and it was shot. I replaced it about 10K ago. If the stock clutch could handle my turbo, I would use it without a doubt.
    Good point.

Yeah OEM is going to be your best bet for sure. It will definitely last longer then an aftermarket one with your current mods.

Thread Information