Close

w00t for redheads! NitroBoarder's Avatar

Some Audio Questions

Ok, with my new job I finally have the money to upgrade my stock system, but I have a few questions. first question is what size are our stock front tweeters, and what size(s) can I replace them with? I have a pioneer FH-P8000BT deck, 14rmsx4channel, 50w peak. I plan on getting some 2 way speakers for the front that don't need to be amplified, but I want to get components for the rear. should I just get a good 4 channel amp and amplify all 4 speakers? If so, what kind of amp should I look into getting? I'm thinking of getting JL component speakers(had a set in a previous car, loved them), and I'll prolly just go with some pioneers for the front. but recommendations are more then welcome. also with the components in the rear, when mounting the tweeters, can I just cut that plastic where the arm rest is for the back seat? or is there something behind it? and for those that have components, where did you mount your tweeters?

-Joe

The Art of Shaving Panathrasher's Avatar
    Why do you want to put the better speakers in the back? You want the primary sound source to come from the front and the filler/surround to come from the rear.

First thing I suggest is that you take a few of your favorite songs and give them a listen on a few different sets of speakers to find out which ones you like. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Nearly any set of components that is sold together at you local store should come with tweeters that will fit in the EPs stock location. When you find a set of components that you like, look a set of coax speakers that compliment them for the rear.

If you are going to use an amp you might as well make it a 4 channel. If you just amplify one set of speakers, they are going to overpower the others. When choosing an amp look for one that your speakers can handle. Pay attention to RMS power and make sure it doesn't exceed what your speakers can handle.
    Last edited by Panathrasher; 09-12-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panathrasher View Post
    Why do you want to put the better speakers in the back? You want the primary sound source to come from the front and the filler/surround to come from the rear.

Components up front. 1" tweets fit in the stock sails.

I don't think you need anything in the back since the car is so small. But if you want some sort of rear-fill, put the coax in the back.

I have to dis-agree on the nearly every tweet fitting, and I have fit an ass-ton to tweets in those sail panels (4 sets in my current install)

JL made a line that used the LPG tweet with a shightly different mounting scheme, I'll try to look those up. It's a metal dome tweet that defies all metal dome myths.

The tweeters in my car are Kicker KS series 1" (KS650.2). They fit like they were made for those panels, with a little bit of modifying.
    Last edited by Myriad; 09-12-2008 at 01:07 PM.

w00t for redheads! NitroBoarder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panathrasher View Post

First thing I suggest is that you take a few of your favorite songs and give them a listen on a few different sets of speakers to find out which ones you like. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Nearly any set of components that is sold together at you local store should come with tweeters that will fit in the EPs stock location. When you find a set of components that you like, look a set of coax speakers that compliment them for the rear.

If you are going to use an amp you might as well make it a 4 channel. If you just amplify one set of speakers, they are going to overpower the others. When choosing an amp look for one that your speakers can handle. Pay attention to RMS power and make sure it doesn't exceed what your speakers can handle.
    thanks for the info. I'll have to put some more thought/research into this.

Thread Information