Close

Page 11 of 103 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 27rocks View Post
    Well if it does rub then you must be running a very high offset to with... also the rubber bushings flex under load. Thats why stock cars are so comfy. Everything on them is ment to absorb the bumps. But if you are having proplems with it rubbing then you have the wrong offset.
    I realize that it's too high offset.... thats the point I'm trying to make haha. It rubs right now with 17x7.5+47..... my guess is another 3-5mm an it will clear fine. Then when you take that backspacing and calculate the same for a 9" wide rim it puts you at around +25ish.

The rear trailing arm does get closer as you go lower (either slammed or suspension travel in corners). So yes with your wheel setup if you slam it you will rub on the rear trailing arm.

Here's the pics:

Quote Originally Posted by 88crx View Post
    I realize that it's too high offset.... thats the point I'm trying to make haha. It rubs right now with 17x7.5+47..... my guess is another 3-5mm an it will clear fine. Then when you take that backspacing and calculate the same for a 9" wide rim it puts you at around +25ish.

The rear trailing arm does get closer as you go lower (either slammed or suspension travel in corners). So yes with your wheel setup if you slam it you will rub on the rear trailing arm.
    +47 is way to high.. My last set up was 17x7.5 +40 and it worked out perfect. I don't know if its your current suspension, bushings or alignment but i have about half a fingers gap between my wheel and trailing arm. And even when my suspension is compressed to where the tire goes into the rear fender i have the same amount of clearance. It has never rubbed for me... the car drives perfectly straight and all my alignments were in stock specs for toe. Even when i would go on hard drives or auto-x i never had any issues. Are you sure you did your math correctly lol?
    Last edited by 27rocks; 08-03-2010 at 09:22 AM.

-Rob

+47 is way to high.. My last set up was 17x7.5 +40 and it worked out perfect. I don't know if its your current suspension, bushings or alignment but i have about half a fingers gap between my wheel and trailing arm. And even when my suspension is compressed to where the tire goes into the rear fender i have the same amount of clearance. It has never rubbed for me... the car drives perfectly straight and all my alignments were in stock specs for toe. Even when i would go on hard drives or auto-x i never had any issues. Are you sure you did your math correctly lol?
    Come on man.... I realize the offset is too high! LOL. Do you understand how offset works? Have you checked your math?

17x7.5+47 has the exact same backspacing as a 17x9+28. Therefore 17x9+28 will rub on the suspension in the rear if you are slammed.

You can check/compare offsets here:
    http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

You're failing to understand that the trailing arm gets closer to the rim as you lower the car more with a coilover set up. If you were to slam your car with your current set up your rims will rub.

I understand everything you are saying, but the fact that i have this current setup on my car and others have also it kinda proves you wrong. And i was just messing around with the offset being to high LOL.

-Rob

I understand everything you are saying, but the fact that i have this current setup on my car and others have also it kinda proves you wrong. And i was just messing around with the offset being to high LOL.
    You can blab on about how I'm wrong but I have clear proof with a fucked up rim and gouged trailing arm to prove you wrong.

Yours (and others) don't rub cause your car is not that low:

VS

Can you grasp the ride height difference? Come on man..... I don't understand why you're being so difficult in understanding the situation here.

lol first of all my car is a little lower than that.. Im on uneven dirt there so the car was actually leaning to one side. When my car is on a slope (like a driveway) my rear tire actually tucks under the fender yet it doesnt scrape, hit or touch my trailing arm. I'm not being difficult i am just clearly stating the the facts i have encountered.

You are about to make me go outside and take some pics lol

-Rob

lol first of all my car is a little lower than that.. Im on uneven dirt there so the car was actually leaning to one side. When my car is on a slope (like a driveway) my rear tire actually tucks under the fender yet it doesnt scrape, hit or touch my trailing arm. I'm not being difficult i am just clearly stating the the facts i have encountered.

You are about to make me go outside and take some pics lol
    I agree that yours doesn't rub and that it's not even close.... this is because of your ride height.

The trailing arm gets closer to rim the lower you go. You are not that low and therefore you do not rub.

You are right that the trailing arm gets closer but very minimal. Also this is completely correctable with an alignment. I went ahead and took some pics lol

Here is what i did.. lifted the car and threw some blocks under the tires then loaded it up with some heavy shit lol

This is as low as i can get it to go...

Trailing arm gap..

The gap was exactly the width of my finger when compressed all the way so i clearly had lots of room left. ~ +.5 inches.

Then i lowered the car.. note that there hasn't been any load on it so it didnt settle to the height it actually sits at which is perfect because its even higher for comparison.

The gap was almost the same! Almost though... i had an extra maybe 1/8in more gap which is not much.

It was hard to take the pic since its so low to the ground:

So in conclusion yes it does move closer, but very minimal. And like i said before it can be fixed with an alignment to make it have the exact gap even when its slammed. There for my current setup 17x9 +35 will never rub no matter how low i go. And i have a good almost 3/4 of an inch of room at the end of the day.
    Last edited by 27rocks; 08-03-2010 at 10:55 AM.

-Rob

Wrong.

When you lower the car (with coilover or lowering spring) it gets closer by the amount you lower it by. They are directly related to each other. If you lower the car 3" then the arm gets 3" close to the rim.

This is different then the trailing arm moving with the suspension as it travels over bumps (or set up on blocks like you have).

Wrong.

When you lower the car (with coilover or lowering spring) it gets closer by the amount you lower it by. They are directly related to each other. If you lower the car 3" then the arm gets 3" close to the rim.

This is different then the trailing arm moving with the suspension as it travels over bumps (or set up on blocks like you have).
    hahaha ok buddy whatever you say.

-Rob

Yea I guess you're right.... I must be imagining the damaged rim and grinding sounds when I corner hard haha.

Yea I guess you're right.... I must be imagining the damaged rim and grinding sounds when I corner hard haha.
    Well what do expect? You obviously did your homework and bought the wrong offset. And your 3'' myth is so wrong i dont even know where to begin....

-Rob

Whatever man, I'm done with this thread.... I don't give two shits if you or some other random guys wheels rub on the suspension or not. I know my wheel/suspension set up and I know that its rubs. All I'm trying to do is help someone else out.

Whatever man, I'm done with this thread.... I don't give two shits if you or some other random guys wheels rub on the suspension or not. I know my wheel/suspension set up and I know that its rubs. All I'm trying to do is help someone else out.
    I understand that and i am trying to do the same. There is clearly some kind of miscomunication somewhere in all of this. No hard feelings man.

-Rob

you guys need to meet at a parking lot with switch blades

Page 11 of 103 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread Information