Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    2002 EP & 2013 FB - K24 all day! SinisterCivicSi's Avatar

DIY: 5 Lug Swap Conversion - 02/03 ep with 02/03 DC5 Type S Parts

DIY: 5 Lug Swap Conversion - 02/03 ep with 02/03 DC5 Type S Parts

this is generation three. this DIY has been tweeked with minor changes so do your own work at your own risk. this is a suggestion, not step for step directions. Make sure you research your parts and compatibility to your car, suspension, rims, etc. Makre SURE the parts you plan on putting on - WORK - before putting them on your car. this is your BRAKING system... don't half ass it. With that said - HAVE A BLAST! And have airtools... LOL

Parts Needed for this swap:

* Type - S 5 lug full swap. (if you get 02-03 type s setup for the same model year ep, then you can use
    your ep brake lines & lca's
    * Type S Axles 02-03 for 02-03 ep's
    * axle/ball joint grease
    * brake fluid
    * PB Blaster
    * Type S ball joint boots (2)

Tools Needed/Suggested:

Sockets:

14, 17, 22, 1.25 or 32, 36

Tools:

socket extension
    Flat head screwdriver
    Breaker Bar
    Pickle Fork or ball joint puller
    Tie Rod Puller
    hammer
    PB Blaster - your best friend

passenger front side:

1. after removing wheel, remove 2 bolts holding the suspension to the brake.

2. Loosen brake line bolt - remove brake lines

3. 32 mm (1.25) to remove center axle nut, use flathead & hammer to "open" the bind in axle nut.
    this will allow you to take the nut off the axle bolt.

4. use extension & 10 mm and remove ABS sensor on rear of rotor. (black plastic piece).

5. here is where a ball joint puller comes in handy, if you dont have one, use a pickle fork & hammer
    LCA to loosen ball joint. use jack to raise brake/rotor assembly & continuous hammer on LCA. once
    ball joint lets go, you then remove shock bolts

6. pull off rotor assembly from the car

7. remove axle

repeat steps for drivers side.

Ball Joint Boots

use hammer & flathead to pop out (ring holder in at base of boot)

Installing New Axles

install type s axles - but grease them before installing.

install new ball joint boot & put some ball joint grease in the boot.

install type s rotor onto type s axle

install strut bolts

Ep ABS sensors can be reused on type s swap but ABS line MUST be taken off clamp for ABS to
    allow more slack in the line. clamp should be bent closed and bent back out of the way of the line.
    Washers will also be needed to pull it away from the ABS and keep it from being ground down!

reinstall 36mm axle lug with socket - redo the "groove" to lock the nut in place.

DO NOT PUT ABS LINE INTO CLAMP, SEE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE.

REAR BRAKES:

Tooles Suggested:

3/4 or 19mm, 12mm, 14 , 10, swivel head socket

after removing rear wheel, remove brake line on rear brake

remove e-brake cable with flathead, to remove retainer clip, tap out E-brake cable.

take off e-brake cable bracket.

SRS sensor - remove - 10mm socket & flathead.

17mm & 14mm - remove strut bolts

grease rear trailing arm bushings

INSTALLING TYPE S BRAKES

install type s rotors on rear & place bolts - tighten

replace ebrake cable back on to type s rotors - 12mm.

reuse retaining bracket of ABS onto type s to reinstall the line.

reinstall brake line - 14mm

Bleed your brake lines thoroughly!!! all 4!!!
    make sure your resivoir tank stays within limits also. you will need a friend to pump the brakes
    while you are bleeding each line.

once all lines are free of any bubbles, tighten down and level off resivior tank in engine bay.

enjoy your new 5 lug swap!

This is great, nice job.

One question about "Parts Needed for this swap: * Type - S 5 lug full swap."

Is this just the rotors and brakes? Tryin to figure out everything I'd need to do this.

Why would you want 5 lug instead of 4 lug? any advantages?

2002 EP & 2013 FB - K24 all day! SinisterCivicSi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaney View Post
    This is great, nice job.

One question about "Parts Needed for this swap: * Type - S 5 lug full swap."

Is this just the rotors and brakes? Tryin to figure out everything I'd need to do this.
    rotors, brakes, calipers, balljoints, bearings, etc is what was involved with my swap. because they were matched in year i didnt have to use the dc5 lca's.

Quote Originally Posted by ttttrigg3r View Post
    Why would you want 5 lug instead of 4 lug? any advantages?
    bigger brakes for better stopping ability

ctr rims (already owned them from our rsx, the ep inherited them when the rsx was sold)

aesthetics - bigger brakes fill the inner rim nicely with larger rims.

nice DIY Mary, but you can't enter the Free Batman contest!
    Ed~

did this same thing 3 wheels ago very please with!!

I recently read somewhere else that you can use the '04-'05 hubs and press them in. I do have access to a press and I would be much more interested in doing that rather than replacing the entire knuckle. Has anybody seen this or done this?

Quote Originally Posted by Anrasmor View Post
    I recently read somewhere else that you can use the '04-'05 hubs and press them in. I do have access to a press and I would be much more interested in doing that rather than replacing the entire knuckle. Has anybody seen this or done this?
    That is actually what i planned to do, the knuckles are the same between the 02/03's and 04/05's (correct me if im wrong) so the bearing should press right in.

The only thing i've become worried about is if the larger caliper from the type s will cause the pedal to feel mushy, any insignt on this?

Quote Originally Posted by 2k3hatchie View Post
    That is actually what i planned to do, the knuckles are the same between the 02/03's and 04/05's (correct me if im wrong) so the bearing should press right in.

The only thing i've become worried about is if the larger caliper from the type s will cause the pedal to feel mushy, any insignt on this?
    I wouldn't think the pedal would feel too much different. Honestly in that situation I'd go ahead and install SS lines as well. If there is any difference in pedal feel the SS lines should more than compensate. And for $100 or so you get a lot better pedal feel and you have to bleed the brakes anyways.

That raises another question of mine. Do the facelift ep3's have the same size rotors as the 4 lugs? Or are they similar in size to the DC5 type S?

I wouldn't think the pedal would feel too much different. Honestly in that situation I'd go ahead and install SS lines as well. If there is any difference in pedal feel the SS lines should more than compensate. And for $100 or so you get a lot better pedal feel and you have to bleed the brakes anyways.

That raises another question of mine. Do the facelift ep3's have the same size rotors as the 4 lugs? Or are they similar in size to the DC5 type S?
    As far as I knew all EP's and Base DC5's have the same size rotors front and rear, only the DC5-S's have bigger rotors up front.

I wasn't too worried about the spungie brake but hear it from someone else makes me a lot more confident. SS lines are definitely part of the plan when I do my DC5-S swap.

So from my understanding, all you need to convert an '02 ep3 to 5 lug is the hubs and rotors from the '04 or '05? Can anybody confirm this? I am currently looking at wheels as well so bumping up to 5x114 would be great if I can do it for decently cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k3hatchie View Post
    That is perfect. Haha. Thanks 2k3hatchie, that is exactly what I've been looking for.

That is perfect. Haha. Thanks 2k3hatchie, that is exactly what I've been looking for.
    No problemo. I'm just passing it along, someone sent me that link and I found it extremely helpful.

Wow. Bearings and hubs run fairly expensive on these Honda's. Even some of the BMW's I've worked on aren't as expensive. For me to do bearings and hubs on all four corners without rotors was almost $600.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information