Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anrasmor View Post
    Wow. Bearings and hubs run fairly expensive on these Honda's. Even some of the BMW's I've worked on aren't as expensive. For me to do bearings and hubs on all four corners without rotors was almost $600.
    I noticed that too, its funny because the Type S hubs are actually cheaper, but then you need the axles to go with them which jacks the price back up. I'll probably end up getting type s hub assemblies from an auto recycler and buy new bearings/studs/nuts for them. At least new type s caliper assemblies are relatively cheap (though I'm pretty sure the ones I'm looking at are Re-Mans).
    Last edited by 2k3hatchie; 08-18-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k3hatchie View Post
    I noticed that too, its funny because the Type S hubs are actually cheaper, but then you need the axles to go with them which jacks the price back up. I'll probably end up getting type s hub assemblies from an auto recycler and buy new bearings/studs/nuts for them. At least new type s caliper assemblies are relatively cheap (though I'm pretty sure the ones I'm looking at are Re-Mans).
    Yeah, I've been looking at reman stuff all morning. Honestly, I think this may be the one car that I keep with the 4x100 pattern. The 5 lug just doesn't seem worth it unless you're putting the type s brakes on. And even then, my ep3 stops almost as well as my S13 with 300zx brakes, 300zx mc, and SS lines. And that bastard stopped on a dime.

I've just started this conversion... I have the Type-S rotor/knuckle assemblies for all 4 corners from an 03 RSX Type-S. I'm going to upgrade to SS brake lines while I'm at it.

Should I buy EP3 or RSX brake lines? Does it matter?

Hmm. I just did some digging and compared part numbers at http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com.

02 EP3 Left Rear brake line "set" is part #: 01468-S5A-J03
    03 RSX Type-S Rear brake line "set" is part #: 01468-S6M-000

I wonder if they have different part #'s only b/c the "set" includes slightly different hardware (washers or whatever)? I'll probably buy SS brake lines made for the RSX Type-S.

Update: Thanks to 56chevydan for his insight. He said this:

"As far as stainless steel brake lines go, I'd order for the RSX-s. The RSX-s lines are about an inch longer that the base RSX.
    If you think about it, when you get your front brake setup in, and since the RSX has the same floorpan as the EP3, basically your new setup is RSX-s. The rears will be the same whether RSX-s, RSX or EP3. Check on www.CorSportusa.com for the lines. They are a site sponsor and they have free shipping."
    Last edited by ragebomb; 10-11-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: did some research.

So, I'm half way done with my conversion (donor car is RSX-S). I started with the rear on Saturday, and that went great. Then on Sunday, I ran into two problems:

1. I couldn't break free the axle nut.

2. The "EL CHEAPO" ball joint puller I bought was the wrong shape to do the job.

Re: #1, I read this thread:
    http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2524465
    And for me, the key advice was to put the car fully on the ground. I am using a breaker bar, and I found that no amount of force will move that axle nut if the suspension or wheel travel are absorbing the force of the breaker bar. My contribution is post #51 in that thread.

Re: #2, this is the ball joint puller type you SHOULD NOT buy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Airhead-Pitman...8068263&sr=1-4
    aka the "Pitman Arm Puller". I had seen it mentioned elsewhere, thought it might work, it doesn't. It just can't fit around the LCA properly. So on the advice of 56chevydan, I bought this puller instead:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
    OTC - BALL JOINT SEPARATOR (6297)
    It hasn't arrived yet, but will tell you guys how it fares. The only other option (if you don't want to pound on it like a Gorilla with that fork thing), is to buy the Honda-recommended tool. Which is hecka expensive at over $200:
    http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/HON-074MAC...mpaign=froogle

A couple tips I can offer so far for people doing this swap:

a. The shop manual says to get a 12mm x 1.25 nut and put it on the ball joint thread so it is flush with the nut's hole. Doing this is supposed to prevent the ball joint's threaded bolt from collapsing during the pulling process. I saw another poster mention that he ruined his ball joint bolts because that bolt is essentially hollow. Just a note, you might not be able to find a 12mm x 1.25 nut at your Home Depot or whatnot. You may have to go to a store with more nut variety. My Home Depot only had 12mm x 1.75 (so the thread was all wrong). Ultimately I bought it online, here:
    http://www.scooterwest.com/item_deta...5--H10%29/4826

b. As you are removing bolts/nuts from your EP3 knuckle assembly, place the corresponding bolts/nuts on to the donor knuckle. That will help you remember where they go.

c. If you are using a breaker bar, put the car COMPLETELY on the ground (and chock the wheel) when you are breaking the axle nuts.

d. The shop manual says to replace a bunch of random self-locking nuts, flange bolts, and washers throughout the process. I counted up about 10 random bolts/nuts/washers that I had to replace. Cost about $18 total from http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com, but shipping was another $15 or so.

e. If your donor car is an RSX-S, plan on changing the transmission fluid. Because the RSX-S swap requires replacement of the front axles, removing the axles will drain the transmission fluid. So you'll need to buy more. I bought 2 quarts of Amsoil "MTF-style" fluid directly from Amsoil.
    http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=212

f. Here's where I got my front axles:
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...n+%26+Steering
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...n+%26+Steering
    Brand is EMPI. They come with new axle nuts and are new (not rebuilt). About $85 each, with free shipping. One word of caution, be very very careful if you buy over the phone (like I did). I gave them part numbers, and it turns out that multiple brands share the same part number. So I ended up with 2 brands, one was EMPI, and the other was FEQ. Ugh, so I had to return and re-buy. I didn't want to risk something stupid happening, like one of them axles having a different number of teeth on the ABS sensor ring (which would make the ABS system think one wheel was out of control).

I had also priced axles from www.raxles.com, but they ended up being $212 EACH, not including shipping. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much, so went with EMPI.

More updates when my tools arrive and I can finish this swap!
    Last edited by ragebomb; 10-25-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragebomb View Post
    I've just started this conversion... I have the Type-S rotor/knuckle assemblies for all 4 corners from an 03 RSX Type-S. I'm going to upgrade to SS brake lines while I'm at it.

Should I buy EP3 or RSX brake lines? Does it matter?

Hmm. I just did some digging and compared part numbers at http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com.

02 EP3 Left Rear brake line "set" is part #: 01468-S5A-J03
    03 RSX Type-S Rear brake line "set" is part #: 01468-S6M-000

I wonder if they have different part #'s only b/c the "set" includes slightly different hardware (washers or whatever)? I'll probably buy SS brake lines made for the RSX Type-S.

Update: Thanks to 56chevydan for his insight. He said this:

"As far as stainless steel brake lines go, I'd order for the RSX-s. The RSX-s lines are about an inch longer that the base RSX.
    If you think about it, when you get your front brake setup in, and since the RSX has the same floorpan as the EP3, basically your new setup is RSX-s. The rears will be the same whether RSX-s, RSX or EP3. Check on www.CorSportusa.com for the lines. They are a site sponsor and they have free shipping."
    Keep us updated. I'd like to hear more

I'm curious as to why people are so adament about doing a Type S five bolt conversion? Is there an advantage over the RSX base five lug conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Keep us updated. I'd like to hear more
    Thanks Behomoth. I ended up buying the SS brake lines that are made for a RSX Type-S. I ordered a set made by Techna-Fit from Corsport. They took about 3-4 weeks to arrive, apparently they are made to order. Anyway they arrived so late that I had already completed my conversion and brake bleeding, so I didn't end up installing them yet. I'll install them some time this coming summer. Meanwhile, the 5-lug conversion is complete and everything is good!

Here are a couple pics I took the night I finished. 2002 EP3 with 5-lug conversion from a 2003 RSX Type-S:

Quote Originally Posted by DA9_GSR View Post
    I'm curious as to why people are so adament about doing a Type S five bolt conversion? Is there an advantage over the RSX base five lug conversion?
    It's a trade off...

PROS:
    > bigger front rotors/calipers for more stopping power

CONS:
    > need to replace front axles
    > b/c of axle swap, need to replace transmission fluid
    > if you have a 15" spare tire, you will need to find the LARGER 16" 5-bolt spare (you need to get a 5-bolt spare anyway, just be sure to get the 16" one)

Here's a picture of my RSX Type-S front rotor next to the EP3 front rotor. The base RSX rotor would be the same size as the EP3 rotor. The Type-S rotors are much bigger in diameter.

That said, I personally wasn't adamant about choosing Type-S over the base. Had I been able to get the base version for the same price, I might have gone that direction. Swapping axles took some extra time and cost an extra $180 or so after parts, MTF transmission fluid, drain bolt/washers, etc.

Last edited by ragebomb; 02-04-2011 at 01:18 PM.

changing things upp CastorTroy2's Avatar
    thanks for the info!

Because I will be doing my swap within the next months. Had a couple questions for you if you maybe know...

I got the 02-04 RSX Type-s swap, i DONT need the dc5 lca's right? I can use my stock ep3 lca's? Also can i use the ep3 axles or do i have to buy the 02-04 type s axles?

Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroy2 View Post
    thanks for the info!

Because I will be doing my swap within the next months. Had a couple questions for you if you maybe know...

I got the 02-04 RSX Type-s swap, i DONT need the dc5 lca's right? I can use my stock ep3 lca's? Also can i use the ep3 axles or do i have to buy the 02-04 type s axles?
    LCAs. Yes with the 02-04 model, you can re-use your EP3 LCAs. This may not be true with other years (05-06).

Axles. No you cannot re-use your EP3 axles. You must buy axles that fit the RSX Type-S. The spindle is much larger on the Type-S. If you tried to used the EP3 axle, it would not mate to the hub/rotor assembly correctly and would probably spin freely.

changing things upp CastorTroy2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ragebomb View Post
    LCAs. Yes with the 02-04 model, you can re-use your EP3 LCAs. This may not be true with other years (05-06).

Axles. No you cannot re-use your EP3 axles. You must buy axles that fit the RSX Type-S. The spindle is much larger on the Type-S. If you tried to used the EP3 axle, it would not mate to the hub/rotor assembly correctly and would probably spin freely.
    Awesome man. Thanks a lot. Seems pretty simple to install., just need to get all the right tools before i start

anyone know where to get the ball joints?
    I've checked BKhondaparts.com and hondapartsunlimited.com and the both show the ball joint as part of the knuckle.
    i've seen aftermarket ones for lowered cars but mines not lowered.

I didn't see this covered, or I might have missed it, but the 05 dc5 type s should fit the ep3 correct? Brakes, rotors, calibers, axels?

did this type s swap like a month ago. worked out great.... got the 5lug,wheels,and suspension for dirt cheap. and you really feel the difference in stopping power.

Mary, I don't get the abs sensor part? So far I only understand, "don't bolt the sensor back on; leave it hanging."

And I don't remember reading anything about the tie rod puller. Is that tool necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I didn't see this covered, or I might have missed it, but the 05 dc5 type s should fit the ep3 correct? Brakes, rotors, calibers, axels?
    Yes, those parts will bolt on so long as the donor Type-S is model year 02, 03 or 04. See previous posts above for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by 15000rpms View Post
    Mary, I don't get the abs sensor part? So far I only understand, "don't bolt the sensor back on; leave it hanging."

And I don't remember reading anything about the tie rod puller. Is that tool necessary?
    Sensor: I would not leave it hanging. You can re-use the sensor and it bolts back up. The only modification that is required is to add a couple of thin washers to the bolt so that the sensor sits a bit higher. Doing this will prevent the sensor tip from being ground down by the axle's ABS teeth. Once you start the conversion and look at these parts you'll see what I mean.

Puller: You don't need a tie-rod puller, but you will need a ball joint puller. Other people have done without a puller (using other tools or generic fork-style pullers), but in most cases they damage the ball joints. I recommend you Google for how others have done it. The cost of a cheap ball joint puller is less than half the price of the OEM Honda puller so it was worth it to me. Alternatively find a buddy who has one and borrow it from him. This is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information