Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

want new rims but i know nothing about rims or tires!

whats up,
    i am possibly in the market for some new rims. I have stock rims and it is currently on factory struts with H&R 2" lowering springs. i want to get sportmax/xxr 002 rims but dont know what rim size to get or what size of tire to get. i want to do the minimum work to make them fit but i do have a couple of friends that are capable of rolling fenders, if needed. I know for sure that i want a low offset but dont know how to choose what offset, rim size or tire to match my current set up. I tried to do some research but i have no idea what ppl are talking about and thought about just making a post for my current set up. I dont plan on changing my suspension set up for a while, just an fyi.
    thanks in advance!

wheres the Tire and Fitment 2.0 thread when you need it

i imagine if youre going with the XXR 002s youre gonna go for a +0 offset?
    PSN: theehuggybear

I remember reading something about how you can measure how much offset you can go without rubbing the fender:

You can tape a piece of string (or something else straight like a ruler) on the fender lip (where the tire would rub) and let it hang down. Then measure from the wheel hub to the string with a ruler. This will give you a measurement of how much offset you can go.

Here is a website that will help you with your wheel size after you make that measurement on:
    http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

You will have to take into account wheel diameter too based on how lowered your car is. but the website above will help you with all that.

Also, when I upgraded from the stock 15's to the RSX 17's my car had to be raised a little so it didn't rub.

Good luck with the wheelz dude.

-Lance
    U.S. Air Force
    Last edited by sistealth02; 03-22-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Yeah i know i've been waiting for hella days for the site to go back up again, i most deffinatley want to go with the +0 offset but i dont know if the 16's would fit with my set up...

Quote Originally Posted by sistealth02 View Post
    I remember reading something about how you can measure how much offset you can go without rubbing the fender:

You can tape a piece of string (or something else straight like a ruler) on the fender lip (where the tire would rub) and let it hang down. Then measure from the wheel hub to the string with a ruler. This will give you a measurement of how much offset you can go.

Here is a website that will help you with your wheel size after you make that measurement on:
    http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

You will have to take into account wheel diameter too based on how lowered your car is. but the website above will help you with all that.

Also, when I upgraded from the stock 15's to the RSX 17's my car had to be raised a little so it didn't rub.

Good luck with the wheelz dude.

-Lance
    U.S. Air Force
    ill give that measuring thing a shot, kinda confused on the instructions but ill get someone to help me out with it, only one way to learn right? and thanks for the link to that website, i checked it out but it didnt show me the offset that i want, and not sure it my rides height matters...

since youre gonna go with a +0 youre gonna need a roll--badly

what tires are you looking at getting?
    PSN: theehuggybear

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowEP3 View Post
    since youre gonna go with a +0 youre gonna need a roll--badly

what tires are you looking at getting?
    I have no idea, thats why i made this post. i plan to get 16's and the 0+ offset, and the fender rolling doesnt sound too bad since i have a couple of buddies who have done it before. what tire size do u recommend? i have a friend that suggested 195-46-16. I dont want to buy the rims and not have to end up raising my car since i only have springs.

Well what is your current tire size?

Quote Originally Posted by sistealth02 View Post
    Well what is your current tire size?
    not too sure but off the top of my head its 204-45-15??? I ordered the wheels finally two weeks ago and they said they should come in this week so i have my fingers crossed... I also bought a front and rear camber kit just in case i might need it

They are called wheels not rims. A 16x8 +0 offset is not a "correct" fitment for the ep3 and will require you to know what you are doing because it brings with it a whole bunch of issues and or problems.

such as wheel bearing issues

Quote Originally Posted by spy8181 View Post
    They are called wheels not rims. A 16x8 +0 offset is not a "correct" fitment for the ep3 and will require you to know what you are doing because it brings with it a whole bunch of issues and or problems.
    But if it is done correctly could one avoid these problems right? Have you had these issues before?

get 16X8 +15...not as agressive as 0 offset and lines up great with the EP lines...don't get 0 offset

tire size...205-45-16

Quote Originally Posted by gamma6 View Post
    But if it is done correctly could one avoid these problems right? Have you had these issues before?
    No I haven't had these problems. The point is there is no way to do it correctly, the ep3 was engineered for a higher positive offset wheel. When you run a significantly more negative offset wheel than stock the problems you can have are:

The negative camber needed to try to pull this off causes bump steer and a twitchy ill handling car as well as wears out your tires prematurely since you'll be driving on the most inner 2 inches of tire.

Tire to fender clearance/ destroying your fender and or tire.

Turning clearance/ tires and or wheels rub while turning - possibly damaging tire/wheel and diminishing your turning radius.

The increase in load on the bearings and knuckles can destroy bearings and can snap knuckles/spindles/ball joints in half.
    Last edited by spy8181; 05-12-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cronicEP View Post
    get 16X8 +15...not as agressive as 0 offset and lines up great with the EP lines...don't get 0 offset

tire size...205-45-16
    they dont come in +15...
    Last edited by PROTOCRACK; 02-27-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information