Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof Racks

Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    I was looking at the Yakima racks, from the looks of it you have to buy the expensive base, which is like $400, and then pay more for the ski rack attachment. I didn't look at thule yet.
    edit: wow, thule seems a bit more expensive....I'm confused about how the thule mounts, I can't see pictures in this thread, being at work. The yakima has a "stretch" base, which makes it possible to mount on a car with just 2 doors, but how does the thule work? something similar?
    Good racks aren't cheap, but you can find stuff on ebay, craigslist etc for a good price...I had a Thule fit kit for the EP and the short roof adapter for sale on here for a while, but they ended up selling on ebay for cheap.

The short-roof adapter would be about the same thing as the Yakima stretch kit. you may or may not need it depending on what you're using it for.
    I needed it...

im a robot
    Quote Originally Posted by lostep3 View Post
    I do a lot of mountain biking, so a rack is a must for me.

you crazy fool

Quote Originally Posted by JCEM View Post
    The short-roof adapter would be about the same thing as the Yakima stretch kit. you may or may not need it depending on what you're using it for.
    I needed it...
    Well, I'd just be needing it for skis, but eventually I'd like the flexibility to put a bike or two up there. So, it makes the price of the thule a little bit more. They both use ~48'' bars, do they stick out a lot? I've been noticing racks on cars lately that overhang by a few inches on each side of the car, pretty ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    Well, I'd just be needing it for skis, but eventually I'd like the flexibility to put a bike or two up there. So, it makes the price of the thule a little bit more. They both use ~48'' bars, do they stick out a lot? I've been noticing racks on cars lately that overhang by a few inches on each side of the car, pretty ugly.
    you can kind of see on my pic that they do extend past the roof a bit on both sides, but not by too much

If you go with the 400XTR instead of the 400/400XT it uses a different bar and I think it's a bit shorter...a bit more expensive too though.

I'll take a look at home, pictures are blocked here at work.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck83 View Post
    you crazy fool
    Haha Hey What up? Our cars seem to always end up looking the same, even though we never see each other.

im a robot
    Quote Originally Posted by lostep3 View Post
    Haha Hey What up? Our cars seem to always end up looking the same, even though we never see each other.
    its pretty funny how that works out lol

im a robot

Last edited by chuck83; 03-29-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck83 View Post

What set up is that?

im a robot
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic Ep2 View Post
    What set up is that?
    Thule.. i have the same exact set up as lostep3

Do you guys notice a considerable drop in MPG?

Thanks!
    - JT

I dont find a massive drop in MPG. It depends on if you have the fairing or not. The fairing does help alot.

I was always afraid to run my racks like how chuck has them. I always felt like I was gonna blow out the glass in the rear windows. I'd rather spend the $80 for the SRA, not $200 on a window.

As for pricing on the racks, my entire system, so fit kit, feet, bars, fairing, SRA, ski holders, bike rack, locks for the racks, locks for the bike holder all came in at about $1100CND. Mind you, i bought mine at just slightly higher than cost from my work. Retail would be around $1500CND brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Valo666 View Post
    I was always afraid to run my racks like how chuck has them. I always felt like I was gonna blow out the glass in the rear windows. I'd rather spend the $80 for the SRA, not $200 on a window.
    Do you have a pic of how you run them compared to Chucks?

Thanks!
    - JT

If you're worried about fuel economy and you're only using it for bikes you can get a hitch and run a hitch rack instead. Sure you can't get a ski or kayak rack for a hitch but a good hitch/hitch bikerack will only run you $500-600, and that is for the very best hitch rack. My combo was only half that price. I admit it doesn't look as good, but you don't have to take the wheels off the bike get it on the rack.
    Last edited by 2k3hatchie; 04-05-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k3hatchie View Post
    If you're worried about fuel economy and you're only using it for bikes you can get a hitch and run a hitch rack instead. Sure you can't get a ski or kayak rack for a hitch but a good hitch/hitch bikerack will only run you $500-600, and that is for the very best hitch rack. My combo was only half that price. I admit it doesn't look as good, but you don't have to take the wheels off the bike get it on the rack.
    I only asked about the MPG because some douche at my work keeps nagging me about how a roof rack ruined his life... (He's just hatin)

I asked for a photo only because you mentioned possibly damaging the rear windows. I didn't even think about how & where it will clip to the car... On my Scion xB the Yakima kit connected to the back doors, but I don't understand how the Thule/Yakima will clip to nothing...

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information