Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alrighty then hope i get a response lol

I see no one has posted a thread since 2008 but here goes.

I finally gave up on the turbos and superchargers since they are sooo expensive. I lost all hope in making any horsepower upgrades until I started reading up on nitrous. I researched and found out that not only is it a very cheap option (Prices ranging from 600 to 1000 bucks) it is also reliable contrary to belief. I’ve read its possibly more reliable then turbos and supercharger due to the fact that the engine is not constantly under boost. It’s only using the extra horsepower when you need it. Of course properly installed and if you don’t use a crazy high shot. Read the best range is a 50 - 75 shot on a stock EP. If all this is correct im surprised more people aren’t juicing up their cars. Got this by googling info on it and reading some old threads on this site for about 2 hours. It wasn't extensive research so please correct me if I’m wrong.

All that said im actually here to ask questions since im interested in a 50 shot nitrous set up. First one is which nitrous kit is best for a completely stock EP? What brand is best in quality? How much is it to fill up a 10 pound nitrous tank? Has anyone encountered any problems running a nitrous system?

Personally I would not use Nitrous without Kpro to properly tune for it.

And yes nitrous does produce additional WHP, but it does indeed cause added wear and tear, that fact can not be disputed. (any additional WHP regardless of the source causes added wear and tear). The simple basic kit's are not enough to have a long lasting and safe setup.

I have seen far more engines come thru the shop due to nitrous mishaps than ANY OTHER power adder.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    Personally I would not use Nitrous without Kpro to properly tune for it.

And yes nitrous does produce additional WHP, but it does indeed cause added wear and tear, that fact can not be disputed. (any additional WHP regardless of the source causes added wear and tear). The simple basic kit's are not enough to have a long lasting and safe setup.

I have seen far more engines come thru the shop due to nitrous mishaps than ANY OTHER power adder.
    I wasnt saying it doesnt cause wear and tear i was just saying i've read it causes less wear and tear. Damn it sucks to hear that i had high hopes for nitrous. I wonder if the people going through your shop had their systems properly installed. Were they using it right? Do you remember how much they were spraying? I heard if you spray something small like a 50 shot you are pretty safe.

I keep hearing about using kpro with it. In the NOS sight FAQ section they say you dont need anything. Guess its time to do more research.
    Last edited by barcelon; 03-25-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Here is where I tend to disagree with Doug (talonXracer) a little bit. He is certainly correct that K-pro is the ideal way to do it. I don't think anyone will argue that. But Doug is a perfectionist and if he can't do it the ideal way then he thinks it is not worth doing. That is where I disagree. I think you can have an acceptably safe setup without it.

That being said I have never used Nitrous Oxide. Anything I add is purely theoretical so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Moments View Post
    Here is where I tend to disagree with Doug (talonXracer) a little bit. He is certainly correct that K-pro is the ideal way to do it. I don't think anyone will argue that. But Doug is a perfectionist and if he can't do it the ideal way then he thinks it is not worth doing. That is where I disagree. I think you can have an acceptably safe setup without it.

That being said I have never used Nitrous Oxide. Anything I add is purely theoretical so take it with a grain of salt.
    Ha ha im also kind of a perfectionist myself but thats good to hear. I hope i get more positive feed back. All i want is a safe reliable set up that'll last me at least for a couple of years. Cant beat 700 bucks compared to the 3 grand for a turbo or supercharger. I keep hearing horror stories from people who have their cars boosted. I really cant afford blowing my engine up.

KPro (or any engine management) IS the safest way to run any power adder. It CAN be done safely without it though. It must be said that KPro can be just as troublesome as an unmanaged power adder. If the person that 'tunes' your map for KPro doesnt know what hes doing, your engine will grenade just the same as if you were running a 200 shot w/o fuel system preparation and no engine management. If you find a capable tuner, a managed setup (KPro) will exceed the included 'little black boxs' capabilities by far.

For you i would start with a wet kit and stay in the 50-60 shot region. Make sure you change your plugs, and be sensible with nitrous usage. IMO, youll get tired of filling the bottle. Locally its 40$+ to fill a 10lb bottle. Youll need a refill on a 10lb bottle at that shot level nearly 8-10 sprays. Depends on how anal you are about bottle pressure and nitrous line saturation. Engine wear and tear? Going faster always wears things out proportionately. Its the nature of the addiction...

With that said, running an out of box 50 shot of squeeze could be safe. Ive used a 75+ shot on older Hondas, back when all we could really do was wire in the 'magic box' and install larger injectors. The only casualty was my clutch.

Alright looks like im gonna have to do extensive research on Kpro never really messed with ecus... Is it possible to map kpro yourself or you need some type of special equipment?

Yeah i know abusing it will rise the risk of damage. I know when i first get it ill go through my first bottle quick. I REALLY baby my ep so im confident i wont abuse it like that... For some reason as i do more research on nitrous im actually trusting it more than boosting. I hate the fact that its kind of a gamble with speed shops. I think i have someone who knows of a good professional one. Anyways the more info i get the better hope to hear more feedback

Quote Originally Posted by barcelon View Post
    I see no one has posted a thread since 2008 but here goes.

I finally gave up on the turbos and superchargers since they are sooo expensive. I lost all hope in making any horsepower upgrades until I started reading up on nitrous. I researched and found out that not only is it a very cheap option (Prices ranging from 600 to 1000 bucks) it is also reliable contrary to belief. I’ve read its possibly more reliable then turbos and supercharger due to the fact that the engine is not constantly under boost. It’s only using the extra horsepower when you need it. Of course properly installed and if you don’t use a crazy high shot. Read the best range is a 50 - 75 shot on a stock EP. If all this is correct im surprised more people aren’t juicing up their cars. Got this by googling info on it and reading some old threads on this site for about 2 hours. It wasn't extensive research so please correct me if I’m wrong.

All that said im actually here to ask questions since im interested in a 50 shot nitrous set up. First one is which nitrous kit is best for a completely stock EP? What brand is best in quality? How much is it to fill up a 10 pound nitrous tank? Has anyone encountered any problems running a nitrous system?
    Well you are right on the money. If you use it correctly nitrous is a very safe power adder. I ran a 150 shot for about 4 months on my old mullet car and a 250 shot at the drag strip a few times. I had some pieces and customized my kit but I still had about 700$ in my kit not including the mallory box I bought. My old car is still spraying a 150 shot and driving around town these days. It costed me around 25 bucks to fill it up.. one place charged 20$ but constantly ran out and sometimes did not fill up the bottle completely.

With a 50 shot on a 4 banger I would get 1 step colder plugs, a basic WET kit, wideband a/f sensor, and a window switch. I don't think you will have issues with your ignition if you run 92 or 93 octane. Now to make it completely safe of course get some sort of device that you can adjust ignition / fuel and get it tuned for nitrous. Me and my friends did it the redneck way and just pulled plugs out and watched the wideband gauge.

Spray and have fun, it def. scares you the first time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kenscivic View Post
    Well you are right on the money. If you use it correctly nitrous is a very safe power adder. I ran a 150 shot for about 4 months on my old mullet car and a 250 shot at the drag strip a few times. I had some pieces and customized my kit but I still had about 700$ in my kit not including the mallory box I bought. My old car is still spraying a 150 shot and driving around town these days. It costed me around 25 bucks to fill it up.. one place charged 20$ but constantly ran out and sometimes did not fill up the bottle completely.

With a 50 shot on a 4 banger I would get 1 step colder plugs, a basic WET kit, wideband a/f sensor, and a window switch. I don't think you will have issues with your ignition if you run 92 or 93 octane. Now to make it completely safe of course get some sort of device that you can adjust ignition / fuel and get it tuned for nitrous. Me and my friends did it the redneck way and just pulled plugs out and watched the wideband gauge.

Spray and have fun, it def. scares you the first time lol.
    Lol the "redneck way" thats funny ... Cool im noting all the stuff you said i should get down.. Now question for you since you seem to have experience with nitrous how does it work. When do you press the button to spray?? Is it at a certain gear/RPM range? Dont know anyone with nitrous. Do you change gears while spraying when close to the redline?

Quote Originally Posted by barcelon View Post
    Lol the "redneck way" thats funny ... Cool im noting all the stuff you said i should get down.. Now question for you since you seem to have experience with nitrous how does it work. When do you press the button to spray?? Is it at a certain gear/RPM range? Dont know anyone with nitrous. Do you change gears while spraying when close to the redline?
    You CAN rig it up like the fast and furious garbage but a window switch is where you set the rpm to where it starts spraying.. I.E: my car was set at 3500 rpms so from 3500 - 6800 (my redline) it sprayed. Shift normally like you were racing... It sprays all the time with the bottle open and everything on and the system armed. Using a button like in the ricer movies is VERY HARD to hold onto. I drove my friends foxbody where he just rigged his kit up with a button and it was horrible lol.

a bottle warmer is also nice to have. Or a torch.. Nitrous is non flammable and a torch heats it up real quick! Or my style was to put it in a bathtub with hot water lol (redneck again I know)..

Whatever you have seen on tv shows/movies after nitrous is mostly wrong. You will not blow any welds off your intake manifold lol.

*edit*

I also think the kits these days come with a WOT switch. In that case whenever you go wot it sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by kenscivic View Post
    You CAN rig it up like the fast and furious garbage but a window switch is where you set the rpm to where it starts spraying.. I.E: my car was set at 3500 rpms so from 3500 - 6800 (my redline) it sprayed. Shift normally like you were racing... It sprays all the time with the bottle open and everything on and the system armed. Using a button like in the ricer movies is VERY HARD to hold onto. I drove my friends foxbody where he just rigged his kit up with a button and it was horrible lol.

a bottle warmer is also nice to have. Or a torch.. Nitrous is non flammable and a torch heats it up real quick! Or my style was to put it in a bathtub with hot water lol (redneck again I know)..

Whatever you have seen on tv shows/movies after nitrous is mostly wrong. You will not blow any welds off your intake manifold lol.

*edit*

I also think the kits these days come with a WOT switch. In that case whenever you go wot it sprays.
    Damn thats even better i was actually going by what i've seen in the movies LOL.. Yes i know its sad thats how much of a newbie i am when it comes to nitrous. Ok im assuming you are talking about a wet system for the window switch right? NICE so its basically like having it turboed out. With a window switch you just turn it off and it runs stock? Im picturing something like that movie "cobra" with sylvester stallone when he turns that nitrous switch on lol.

Run a 60 shot wet kit from dynotune. If you blow your a3 whats the worst its gonna cost you? 400 for a new a3 or 600-1000 to upgrade to a k24? Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dkid15 View Post
    Run a 60 shot wet kit from dynotune. If you blow your a3 whats the worst its gonna cost you? 400 for a new a3 or 600-1000 to upgrade to a k24? Go for it.
    Thats the thing i would like to avoid all that BUT like you said the worst case scenerio isnt all that bad. K20a3s are that cheap?? wow

Sooooooo the research continues... This installation doesnt look complicated at all. With a 50 shot its almost plug and play. Check out this video i found for an installation on a camaro. I might actually install myself with instructions and alot of research of course.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1669713449827#

Im wondering what i would run on a 1/4 mile with a 50 shot. im gonna have to look around for 1/4 mile time threads. Im estimating low 15s possibly very high 14s. You guys think those #s are close?
    Last edited by barcelon; 03-25-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Alright so its even better than i thought looked around for 1/4 mile times on a 50 shot spray. The average i saw was always in the high 14s only saw 1 or 2 with 15 flat or 15.2 .. Thats pretty freakin good for only spending 1000 bucks give or take 200 bucks if you install it yourself. With high 14 times ill definatly be able to beat stock si coupes type s rsx's and even the new gti's. Probably be able to keep up or beat heavy V6's.... My dream would be to beat a god damn cocky SOB in a muscle car lol. For that i would need way more work but i'll be happy with high 14s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information