Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mobil1 10w-30 s burn about a quart every 2,000 miles

I had the same issue, original owner was running mobile 1 5w20, i switched to royal purple (bad idea) 5w20, then 5w30, got sick of it, tried about 3 other brands. Everything kept burning. Right now im running Motul Eco-nergy 5w30. Don't burn a drop. And i run the piss out of my car. Almost 1000km a week. Best place ive found for pricing on it in the GTA is a shop at Hurontario & Lakeshore called Euroline. He charges $62.50 for a jug tax in.

Quote Originally Posted by Valo666 View Post
    I had the same issue, original owner was running mobile 1 5w20, i switched to royal purple (bad idea) 5w20, then 5w30, got sick of it, tried about 3 other brands. Everything kept burning. Right now im running Motul Eco-nergy 5w30. Don't burn a drop. And i run the piss out of my car. Almost 1000km a week. Best place ive found for pricing on it in the GTA is a shop at Hurontario & Lakeshore called Euroline. He charges $62.50 for a jug tax in.
    I've run the Honda Branded oil in my EP since I bought the car new. 5w20 until i reached 75k then 5w30 afterwards. I've never lost a significant amount of oil unless I've driven my car hard. A trip to the mountains will do it.

I put ~4.8qts with every change with a honda filter.

When I check my oil I start the car, let it run for 5-10 seconds, then shut down. Then I check the oil level. I keep mine at the top dot as best I can. Doing it on a level surface goes without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    I don't think it was stated but waiting for the oil light to come is not a good idea. When that light comes one its too late.
    So check it often.
    Amen to that. If the oil light comes on you have an issue and need to stop driving the car right then. The oil light doesn't indicate low volume in the pan, it indicated low oil pressure.

And I think its odd that everyone has had issues with burning oil. Neither my stock K20A3, nor my K24A2 burned any oil with ~3000 mile oil change intervals.

my k24a1 burn mobil 1 rp like gas. even if im not led footing it it jus seems to burn off fast. i've switched to penzole and it doesnt burn as fast. but yeah my very first car 92 toyota tercel with a 1.3 starlet motor with ever oil seal practically leaking never went through this much oil. i begin to wonder maybe the oil manufactors are cheating consumers and make us pay for more than what we need

My Ep is starting to use more oil then normal. I'm going through about 2 quarts every 3k miles. It really sucks when your using high priced oil. I might swicth to some cheaper stuff for the DDing and run the good stuff on track days.

I did however just put in a qt. of Lucas Sythetic Oil stabilizer. Took away the majority of my engine noise, and seems to be slowing the burn off.

Put a oil catch can between the PCV and the intake mani and see how much oil is being vaporized and then suctioned off thru the PCV and burned, it will amaze you!!! Another source of oil burnoff is due to worn out valve seals/guides.

Some brands and weights of oil seem to vaporize far easier, The Amsoil 5w-40 seems to be decent as far as the rate of loss, the worse oil I have used so far, as far as burnoff goes, was the RP 5w30, next was the Mobil1. Set-up's, driving habits, wear all have an impact on this as well.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Great idea. I'll put a catch can on it this weekend.

For the record, when i'm running the Oil stabilizer, i don't beat on the car. I know it's not great under High RPMs.

On another note the car felt reall strong today. Mid-range is amazing, Top end is rather weak. I need an exhaust and dyno tune asap.
    Last edited by Deadphishy; 06-10-2010 at 07:54 PM.

The heavier weights will by their very nature of being heavier, fall out of suspension far quicker and burn off less. Again there are other contributing factors such as high rpm useage, higher temps, oil type etc.

do you guys finding the car more responsive when you top the car up..cause i do!

After learning how to take the engine apart I found it useful.

Replacing rings and bearings are cheap. cleaning the block and inspecting everything is priceless.

hell im tring to figure out where the oil is going in mine i have 2500 on my oil change atm moment and have added 4 quarts since then this thing only has 70k miles on it i could understand maybe 1 quart but this thing is changing its own oil

Put a DIY catch can between the PCV and mani, if you hammer on it alot then oil is being vaporized and then drawn into the combustion cycle thru the PCV

It also wouldnt hurt to do a compression check as well

I was burning a good 2 quarts of oil for awhile, especially when using Mobil 1. Recently changed my PCV valve. Oil consumption has dropped considerably. Guess I shouldn't have waited 150,000 miles to change the PCV valve. The part is only $15 so you could try that and see if it helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information