Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No worries, but i need a KAL to compare the KDL to. Upload your current KAL and KDL and ill check it out for you...

belt slippage???

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    No worries, but i need a KAL to compare the KDL to. Upload your current KAL and KDL and ill check it out for you...
    ahh shit, how do i upload the KAL? im gonna have to take my buddies laptop and go for a ride

well i noticed something funny today... rubber dust, all over my engine bay.. hmmm. noticed one more thing, when i punch it at like 3500rpms, the gauge goes to zero as the revs increase for a slight second, then it comes into boost... slippage?

Quote Originally Posted by 04EP3Hatch View Post
    yea see in that log your hitting .5psi more than me, maybe your blower is just better ;) lol oh shit but you only went to 5800rpms wtf! :( hey jerseyjew, do you have the 3.8 or the 4.0? and what type of boost were you hitting?
    I am running the 4.0 pulley and hit about 7.8 - 8.0 psi on the dyno. I run the JRRH and the neuspeed catback which is only about 2.3"

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjew View Post
    I am running the 4.0 pulley and hit about 7.8 - 8.0 psi on the dyno. I run the JRRH and the neuspeed catback which is only about 2.3"
    see what the fudge? i have the same diameter catback, only difference is raceheaders and our intakes. But i dont get it, my boost is to consistent to be slipping, im replacing the belt anyway, any suggestions on brand and size?

see what the fudge? i have the same diameter catback, only difference is raceheaders and our intakes. But i dont get it, my boost is to consistent to be slipping, im replacing the belt anyway, any suggestions on brand and size?
    The boost can seem very consistent while still having belt slip. Basically it will reach a certain RPM and then start sliping and will hold there. It can also increase in boost as it should through the RPM range, but having enough slippage to not be making your full boost at the top. Have you thought about doing a leakdown and compression test just to make sure?

And don't be afraid to tighten the belt a bit. Obviously you do not want to over-tighten, but I can tell you right now that with the 3.8" you will have to sinch it down pretty damn tight to keep it from slipping. Try putting a few turns down on the belt and then drive to check your boost level. I usually have to make 3-4 adjustments once I put a new belt on before I eliminate the slipping. After 500-100 miles I have to adjust again as the belt starts to stretch.

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownSi05 View Post
    The boost can seem very consistent while still having belt slip. Basically it will reach a certain RPM and then start sliping and will hold there. It can also increase in boost as it should through the RPM range, but having enough slippage to not be making your full boost at the top. Have you thought about doing a leakdown and compression test just to make sure?

And don't be afraid to tighten the belt a bit. Obviously you do not want to over-tighten, but I can tell you right now that with the 3.8" you will have to sinch it down pretty damn tight to keep it from slipping. Try putting a few turns down on the belt and then drive to check your boost level. I usually have to make 3-4 adjustments once I put a new belt on before I eliminate the slipping. After 500-100 miles I have to adjust again as the belt starts to stretch.
    He wont have to sinch anything down tight if he doesnt use the dumb gatorback belt for the 3.8. I duno why you guys are all about that belt. Napa Gates belt FTW
    Last edited by superchargedk20; 04-02-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    He wont have to sinch anything down tight if he doesnt use the dumb gatorback belt for the 3.8. I duno why you guys are all about that belt. Napa Gates belt FTW
    The gatorback is best to use with the 4.0", the gatorback is far superior in quality, but like you said, does not work well with the 3.8" pulley unless of course you are running a 2.5" idler pulley.

I run the 3.8 with the 2.5 and a gatorback... never a problem. I drive hard, boost 10lbs, and rev to 7800... and it loves it.

The gatorback is best to use with the 4.0", the gatorback is far superior in quality, but like you said, does not work well with the 3.8" pulley unless of course you are running a 2.5" idler pulley.
    Yea I never had a problem with it with the 4.0 either. But with the 3.8 I went through 2 of em. One flew off during dyno tuning. WE replaced it with a brand new one and it slipped as well. Even with tensioner all the way down. I hate the gatorback design with all those ridges on em. Its to prevent noise. The napa Gates even though noisy didnt slip at all. And ur tensioner is all the way up because the belt just fits instead of being all the way down with the gatorback.
    Basically 4.0= gatorback (still would find a gates in that size if possible)
    3.8= Hands down the napa gates. Will not slip on you!

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    Yea I never had a problem with it with the 4.0 either. But with the 3.8 I went through 2 of em. One flew off during dyno tuning. WE replaced it with a brand new one and it slipped as well. Even with tensioner all the way down. I hate the gatorback design with all those ridges on em. Its to prevent noise. The napa Gates even though noisy didnt slip at all. And ur tensioner is all the way up because the belt just fits instead of being all the way down with the gatorback.
    Basically 4.0= gatorback (still would find a gates in that size if possible)
    3.8= Hands down the napa gates. Will not slip on you!
    now dave, is it the gates belt with the slits going across it or a standard serpentine belt?

oh and hey, i was reading your DIY on belt replacement, when to say you can twist slightly on the belt between the crank and a/c compressor, how much do you mean? i can easily twist mine straight up and down, basically at a 90 degree angle from its original point

also... i know this is kind of a weird idea. But i want to run the 3.8, but there's no basemap for it. Do you guys think i could put the 3.8 on and run like IK24 plugs, one step colder than the colder ones we use? Im using IK22's now but i ONLY want to put the pulley on and drive around to check for slippage prior to my tune! im not going to race or beat the balls off of it, just want to use IK24's (or equivalents) to eliminate knock and some heat from using the 3.8 on the 4.0's base, even though i am only hitting 6psi :( lol the 3.8 would prolly even me out

now dave, is it the gates belt with the slits going across it or a standard serpentine belt?
    There were no slits on it. Just get the one on the part number on that video. Also the 3.8 will knock so i dont reccomend u seeing if it slips on ur last post. If anything since u know the guys at xenecron, get the belt i told u, bring it with u with the 3.8 pulley and change it at xenecron, it takes like 10 mins. You were in my car and my shit never slipped. The gates belt is the way to go with the 3.8. I tightened that shit once and that was only because of the first time it being on belts tend to stretch. Its a good belt man. Its noisy but i will take noise over performance anyday

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information