Close

Driver's side rear brake dragging

I've tried searching, but it seems there was a lot of information lost while the site was down and being brought back up. My '02 EP has a problem with the driver's rear brake dragging. I pulled the brakes apart tonight, and it would appear that either the caliper or parking brake is sticking. I haven't driven the car daily since November and not at all since December, and I'd like to get it back up and running. The main reason I parked it was the dragging brake, along with a fairly snowy winter, which wouldn't go well in my lowered EP.

Anyone have any ideas on trying to fix the current caliper? Or should I just suck it up and assume it needs a new one?

ephatch member
    pretty sure you can, and will find a how to on this somewhere

-basics are to buy a caliper repair kit. Take out the piston, and other moving parts. re hone the cylinder and piston, and reasseble it with new seals and lubricant.

this would be waaay cheaper than buying new calipers, found out that autopartswarehouse.com charges almost 500$ for two rear calipers.. the front ones are only 250$

I bought remanufactured calipers from HONDA for the front of my car, it was only $70 per. But you do have to ship your old ones back. (core charge is $60 per without shipping) Honda sells reman kits if you want to do it yourself. My only concern is that they don't give you a new piston, just the rubber rings. If this is your DD, I'd go that route, it will get the car on the road a lot faster. If you have some time, perhaps try the kit.

Sounds like the guide pins for the caliper are stuck causing the brake pads to be constantly applying to the rotor. Take off the caliper pull the guide pins out and clean them well. Then apply Anti-seize and reinstall. Also while your at it clean the part that the brake pads seat in.

Thread Information