Close

Thread: Tire Decision

Tire Decision

So this is of course one of those NEW tire choice threads where I need help making a decision from people who have had experience with good tires. The tires will be used for DD/ Entry level Auto-X. The wheels are 17x8 +35 Buddy Club F91s in Black/Bronze. I am driving an '05 VBP EP3 rolling on Honda Factory Performance (HFP) kit. I was thinking either 225/40/17 or 235/40/17's. I need help on a tire decision. I am mainly torn between Yokohama S-Drive, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08's and Falken Azenis 615s. Let me know which would be the best tire for my application. I am also planning on making a long road trip of like 1600 miles after a few weeks of getting them. Would rolling fenders be necessary? Does this require new LCAs or camber adjustment? I know there may be questions about what I am leaning more towards, it would be performance but I also don't want them to wear out too quickly. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

While I this is going on I also wanted to get help with a rear sway bar decision, Progress or DC5? I am running a GReddy SE (60mm) and want to know if it will fit with the hose on the bar mod.

Bump!! HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by KaeDu View Post
    I am mainly torn between Yokohama S-Drive, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08's and Falken Azenis 615s. Let me know which would be the best tire for my application. I am also planning on making a long road trip of like 1600 miles after a few weeks of getting them. Would rolling fenders be necessary?

what I am leaning more towards, it would be performance but I also don't want them to wear out too quickly.
    i'd stay away from 225/40.. i'd go 235/40.. first things first. at that width and offset you will need to roll the rears. you will prolly not rub DD but at full suspension travel you more than likely will. most people that run 17x8 +35 have their rears rolled. of the 3 tires you've listed, 2 of them will wear out rather quickly. the more performance you go, the less life you get. imho, the RT-615's are a waste. they are great tires don't get me wrong, but Falken hasn't put any new technology into them for the past 6ish years. better tires can be bought for performance. the Neova's are a great sticky tire but like the 615's, they will not "last." last of course is a relative term. since you'll be DDing and going into entry level auto-x i'd go with something like the S-Drives or the BFG G-Force Sports. both tires are about the midway point between performance and longevity.

that being said, you CAN DD a pure performance tire like the Neova's.. i DD the dunlop direzza Star Specs but i do so knowing that i'll be lucky to get 15k miles out of the set. the G-Force Sports on the other hand lasted me 27k with 2 trackdays thrown in. but they did not handle and perform as well as the Star Specs.

edit: i noticed that you'll be making a long distance trip, another strike against the 615's as they are notorious for losing traction in any type of weather other than dry..

235/40/17, roll the rear fenders, and call it a day.

Alright, so the size is done (235/40/17), now is there anything else that is required other than the the rolling of the fenders such as LCA or camber kits?

it wouldn't hurt to get camber kits, just so you have more freedom to tinker with settings as you become more advanced of a driver.

Quote Originally Posted by socmex7 View Post
    it wouldn't hurt to get camber kits, just so you have more freedom to tinker with settings as you become more advanced of a driver.
    ^^that

Anytime you lower a car, a camber kit should be in the budget. =)

What class are you going to race in?

I was thinking about getting the falken 615's but my friends advised me not too,then I drove them and wasn't impressed especially in the rain.Agree with what everyone else has stated and camber kit is a must.

I was planning on going into the ES class but I haven't had this vehicle inspected by a tech yet. You?

I've only gone twice.(with CART) I never seem to have the car together or time or <instert excuse>. When i went, they basically asked what was on the car, told me "novice" and I was good to go. If I went a third time, they put you in a class, but I'm fine with novice, it's not I was beating all of them. (Or even many) I know that they restrict what compound and size tires you can put on based on class, I'm not sure about wheels. I'd like to get back into it, but getting married, looking for a place etc. etc. (I'm sure next year other things will come up.) :(

They had my car go through a safety inspection. As for tech inspection, they probably do it there when you go, although I'm sure all the AutoX guys could give you the low down.

It's great fun, good luck.

Thanks. Yeah it does suck however due the restrictions, I mean I love adding upgrades but it also makes it difficult to compete just due to some small mods that bump you up a class. From my understanding ES is for modified front wheel drive cars so I don't think that I should be too outgunned. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

235/40/17 Dunlop StarSpecs

btw: The new Azenis RT615K is a new compound.. Same tread pattern though, which is terrible in standing water but decent in just wet weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Angle View Post
    235/40/17 Dunlop StarSpecs

btw: The new Azenis RT615K is a new compound.. Same tread pattern though, which is terrible in standing water but decent in just wet weather.
    didn't know about the new compound in the RT.. but even then, for the same style of tread design and for dry weather only handling i'd still choose the Kumho Ecsta XS every time, but maybe i'm just biased..
    but those Direzzas are money.. they are AWESOME tires.

Thread Information