Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: awd swap

It would be cool to basicly take the EP apart, and Customizes the frame. You can go Wider on the wheel wells, and hack-up the underside to run the driveshaft. You will also have to fab up a much stronger rear end to handle the shock.

I think it would be funny to take the front end of an EP and move it to the back. Put the motor in the back, using modded front control arms and Knuckles to run the axles the same way they do with the front. Cut and reweld it so it fits. Shouldn't be too hard

If you're going that far, you might as well just keep the motor and trans in the front and put another set in the back. You could use Accord automatics or something. I saw this done in a car magazine years ago with a Cadillac that had two Northstar V8s in it. 8-)

do it then!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    there was something to do with the mounts i think...

this is a major fab project any way you look at it, no bolt in here...

if it were me, id pick a transmission that bolted up and did awd and then custom fab up some mounts and then do an all custom drive train back to a racing rear end...something heavy duty that i can fab up to...but then at that point id be considering doing a tube frame front end and tube frame rear subframe and just making my life easier than fighting with the structure honda gave me...but then again, i am crazy

if you want to use RSX K23 block you can use a Accord Manual 6 speed transmission and it will bolt up to the K23 block. but mounts can be bought though HASPORT they have some mounts if you want do go that route- if i remember right he has mounts for the V6 motors too for Ep3

-sarc sammich
    Last edited by Twisted-X; 04-13-2010 at 02:58 PM.

there is a 91 hatch in chicago that runs 2 d-series auto trans,
    there is also i 98 4dr with a awd crv b-series 5 spd. in arizona cool car but his stock k20a2 em2 is faster.

it can be done it is expensive and it wont look stock interior wise or even close. but if u have 10k and want to do an older chassis with a b-series or d-series, i say go for it. i know a want too... but ill go 91 hatch with a modified wagovan drive train. but im looking at 8k and will still have a d-series. if the spirit moves me in the next 10 years and i can find parts and i get my ep3 out the garage. maybe one day i will

my buddy ryan aka the mad scientist did this in a crx....

he used a ls block w/ a b16 head, crv trans, modded crv drive shaft.. axles and he custom made a rear suspension and triangulated it.

he got it all together and wanted to test his work.

he launched the thing at redline and it would just churp and f'n haul ass. not sure what happend to the car but it was pretty sick

Legendary Ephatcher ep3moschini's Avatar
    Im still trying to tune my NSX cams. . .

1967 Firebird. . . Yeah its alright

Legendary Ephatcher

Quote Originally Posted by ep3moschini View Post
    Im still trying to tune my NSX cams. . .
    I emailed you my tune for it. 200 hp and 500 ft/lbs torque

Quote Originally Posted by rashondasdriver View Post
    For what it's worth, if it did exist, it would be on youtube.
    LOL quote of the last decade right there.

As has been said, would be cool... but... $$$

honda tuning magazine (or similar) did this with a DC2 several years ago using CRV parts. It was extremely expensive, required lots and lots of fabrication (adding a driveshaft tunnel for starters), and didn't really end up working well/reliably. not saying its impossible, but its definitely not practical or economical.

ephatch member
    actually their dc2 worked great. the awd didnt work well so the converted it to rwd and had better results. it was dirt cheap. they used all parts from a crv and just welded the rest together. if you can weld it wouldnt be that hard at all. everyone says that its expensive....have you done it? its dirt cheap, easy, and if you can weld good and know how to wrench, go for it. they are out there too....even if its not on youtube...lol. ive seen one so far. ;) i am doing the conversion too but im on hold for another year until i can finish my one ton TJ. make jeep friends, once you build a tube chassis and design the whole suspention, an awd or rwd swap into an ep seems kinda trivial.

hth you do the swap.

Adam

My Honda mechanic friend hacked a CRX and put all the bits from an AWD civic wagon in it.
    The thing is awesome, still running and doing great.
    He now has a totalled CRV and told me he's ready to do the same to my EP when I'm ready.
    I figured I'd have a go when I'm ready to get a new car. Maybe in a year or two.

Or do like Renault did when they did the Clio V6 sport...tear out the back seats and make it mid-engined.
    Last edited by Tanginangshyet; 09-28-2008 at 08:56 AM.

Could one not potentially utilise the AWD system out of the Element or CRV, since their suspension setup is quite similar to ours?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information