Close

ephatch member

replacing pulleys?

how difficult is it? as far as getting the tension right? i hear a rubbing noise when my car idles and it is driving me crazy. 2 different shops suggested it was a pulley so i will probably end up replacing all of them. any diy would help or if anyone has any advice

The tensioner is automatic. Look into the bay along the serp. belt for side-to- side motion in any of the pulleys with the engine on. The belt slips off the tensioner when it is moved w/a 14mm wrench and a big giant wrench locked into it or a breaker bar. Once the belt is off. All the pulleys can be checked for 'looseness'. Mine needed a water pump.

ephatch member
    thank you man

Anyone know what I would need to do this as well? Because I just got my valves adjusted last night & this morning I turn my engine on and i got a kitty screeching outta my engine, Popped the hood and it's coming from the pulleys. What else would I need to know?

time to replace the serp belt, when you adjust valves you dont touch anything with the belt or belt adjustment

Just wondering, Is there a DIY on Serpentine Belt Change?

so i replaced the serpentine belt but a noise is still there. im driving around yesterday on my 23rd bday. next thing i know im coming back from 91 artesia and im about 1 mile away from the 710 fwy and i hear my car crackling like a machine gun i was like aww crap the belt slipped off and my engines going to blow. so i turn hazards on and exit on the first exit i saw which was long beach blvd and i turned my engine off. i find out its my tensioner and the tensioner bounces back and forth. what do you guys think it is. i have to fix it all i can think of is that i maybe loosened the tensioner and the worst part was bring the car home at like 1am dad and uncle helped me get the car out there. a chain to one of my tow hoooks and drove it all the way back to riverside which was about 50 miles and i dont know how i made it home. now i must fix it help please anyone. thanks

Thread Information