Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Castrol Syntec ?

I was wondering peoples thoughts on the Castrol Syntec, not the german stuff, but the US market stuff. I needed oil quickly and grabbed some of the 5w50 to try(thought it was 5w40(old fart eyes LOL))
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

I use that stuff all the time Doug! I have not had build up issues either unlike valvoline oil i had build up issues with that stuff in my D series motor when it was in the EK. But I have been using that in the FIT now for i would say last 6 oil changes.

LOL old fart!

广州本田
    i been using it for a long time now, its good oil.

Thnx Joe, I had used the German stuff in the A3 and liked it. I can really vouche for using a quality oil, the stock A2 block is in great shape with alot of miles on it.

if you are running a 40w, try out Mobil 1 0w-40. just from what ive read on BITOG, it has shown great results.

GC is one of the best oils around and probably the single best, all-around oil for the money. Their regular US stuff is just average amongst synthetics. Penzzoil Ultra 5w40 is another great synthetic that's commonly available.

I used Castrol Syntec 5w-20 for the first time during my last oil change and the only thing I've noticed different is my MPG has been better. I haven't made any other changes and I get gas from the same stations as before. I would typically get mid to high 27 mpg but now I easily get 30 with the same driving habits. It also doesn't seem to be burning off as quickly as mobil 1 oil.
    Last edited by ToingToing; 09-24-2008 at 08:22 PM.

How can you tell the difference in the bottle of the US castrol syntec and the german castrol?

Quote Originally Posted by yyi View Post
    How can you tell the difference in the bottle of the US castrol syntec and the german castrol?
    If it is 0w-30, its German Castrol (unless its a really really really old bottle with a yellow label). Look on the back label and it says made in germany while all the other weights are made in the USA

ahh ic, only 0w-30 GC can be bought from the states?

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    I like castrol. My boy uses the GTX on his 12 sec turbo hatch. I used both the Syntec and the new Edge. Castrol good stuff. Check his car out. Beast!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQbtZK0e9yA

I ran Castrol for 75,xxx in a d15 and never burned a drop.

The EP has had GTX (+ WIX filter) for 90,xxx and doesn't show any buildup under the VC.

Castrol historically was formulated for small, high rpm aluminum engines-> Honda. And now Castrol is owned by BP/Amoco :)
    Last edited by 27rocks; 09-24-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drjd888 View Post
    I used Castrol Syntec 5w-20 for the first time during my last oil change . . . .
    I like Castrol products generally, conventional and synthetic, although I'll have to add that Syntec wouldn't be my first choice. More importantly, however, there's a lot on this board and others regarding the potential inadequacies of 5W-20 weight motor oil, particularly if you tend to run your car hard. Google "camshaft galling" and see what comes up regarding K20 motors.

Quote Originally Posted by drjd888 View Post
    I used Castrol Syntec 5w-20 for the first time during my last oil change and the only thing I've noticed different is my MPG has been better. I haven't made any other changes and I get gas from the same stations as before. I would typically get mid to high 27 mpg but now I easily get 30 with the same driving habits. It also doesn't seem to be burning off as quickly as mobil 1 oil.
    I would remove that 5w20 swill ASAP. There is a very good reason why the K20A3 was the first and LAST vehicle that Honda slappped on the 5w20 recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    I would remove that 5w20 swill ASAP. There is a very good reason why the K20A3 was the first and LAST vehicle that Honda slappped on the 5w20 recommendation.
    agreed, Now that i'm using a longer change interval i've noticed a lot more burn off with 5w-20. I just ordred 5w-30 for my next oil change. Might got the 5w-40 route if it doesn't hurt the fuel economy too much, I do a piss load of driving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information