Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

wheel stud replacement

is it necessary to remove the hub to do it on the front end of the ep? i searched , and the one somewhat useful thread concluded in the person just taking it to a garage and not doing it themselves.

May wind Oct. rain
    technically, yes. it is one of the most frustrating installs i've done . . . i just ended up taking it to a shop because I couldn't get the damn stud off.

Quote Originally Posted by Windchaser View Post
    technically, yes. it is one of the most frustrating installs i've done . . . i just ended up taking it to a shop because I couldn't get the damn stud off.
    what happened with your install?

May wind Oct. rain
    Quote Originally Posted by MugsyTheGr8 View Post
    what happened with your install?
    It's actually pretty straight forward. However, you can't get to the studs because the shield is in the way. Meaning, you cannot remove the studs unless you remove the shield or remove the hub assembly completely from the driveshaft. In order to remove the hub assembly, you need a press . . . that was my problem. With the hub assembly remove, you can easily replace the studs.

when you put the new studs in, make sure you weld them on

not the whole thing, but little spot weld on each is fine

when the studs get old, it gets loosen and your lug nut and stud will spin together on the hub, you won`t be able to take it off

I learned my lesson in hard way :)

^ thats probably from over tightening the lug nuts.

ill take my chances just pounding them in. i don't really have any welding equipment available to me on campus, plus i would have to take the hub off anyways to that and thats kinda what i want to avoid.

May wind Oct. rain
    Quote Originally Posted by MugsyTheGr8 View Post
    ill take my chances just pounding them in. i don't really have any welding equipment available to me on campus, plus i would have to take the hub off anyways to that and thats kinda what i want to avoid.
    I have seen people try use a hammer to separate the hub from the axle to change out the wheel bearings =) LOL.

I have not seen studs welded on before. I strongly recommend not doing that.

May wind Oct. rain
    Quote Originally Posted by jw1 View Post
    I have not seen studs welded on before. I strongly recommend not doing that.
    In Super GT racing, the studs and the hub is a solid one piece thing.

THere use to be a trick with honda wheel studs where you could grind off one side of the studs head and sneak it past the hub assembly.... That sadly no longer works. So yeah, even if the dust shield wasnt there (un screw it and get creative with some tin snips...) you'd still have to pull the bearing.

i agree, bearing has to go. sorry :(

there is like a three hundred dollar tool that makes it real easy though.

I've changed mines... thought my studs were 12 x 1.25.. but found out it was wrong when i put them on.... it screwed up the stud and shaved it.. then i had to replace the studs.. took out everything... the shield has a small hole in which i held a wrench handle through to hammer the studs in.. worked great... everything is fine now.. i replaced all the ones i screwed up... which was like all of them.. i know i know.. why would i put all of the small lug nut on if it was killing my studs?.... I thought it was just a tight fit... didnt know until i took them out that it screwed it up.. the whole install is something i never want to do again...

Quote Originally Posted by dtt02278 View Post
    I've changed mines... thought my studs were 12 x 1.25.. but found out it was wrong when i put them on.... it screwed up the stud and shaved it.. then i had to replace the studs.. took out everything... the shield has a small hole in which i held a wrench handle through to hammer the studs in.. worked great... everything is fine now.. i replaced all the ones i screwed up... which was like all of them.. i know i know.. why would i put all of the small lug nut on if it was killing my studs?.... I thought it was just a tight fit... didnt know until i took them out that it screwed it up.. the whole install is something i never want to do again...
    so you didnt have to press out the hub?

nah...i just put a skinny wrench tool through the hole... spin the rotor to the correct spot and start pounding... just make sure you pound it straight...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information