Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    If Amsoil was available at a parts store near me I would use the 5w40 Euro formula exclusively!
    Most of out parts stores have it. We have a real good parts store that sells all the odd ball stuff. Then even sell Honda Fluids.

i wish places around here had it. never, ever seen it. i would try Amsoil if it were more convenient.

hmm so none of you guys use a 0w oil? Haha well considering I have a job again (yay for employment) I think I will splurge on my next oil change and try something "nice" for my car like amsoil. Plus I work at Sears now so yay for employee discount

I would NEVER use the 0w oil's in a DD car, I have used a 0w in my polaris ATV's but that is it.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

I would NEVER use the 0w oil's in a DD car, I have used a 0w in my polaris ATV's but that is it.
    well the theory was that you get pressure faster because the 0w flows much quicker when cold. Anyway for me it isn't necessary living here in socal. I'm most likely going to go with a 5w-30 or 5w-40.

i used to use Mobil 1 but since i switched to Royal Purple 5w30 i dont think ill put anything else in. The engine feels smoother and it runs more quiet than with the Mobil 1. I saw something about tranny fluid in an early post i just stick with Honda MTF.

mobil 1 here...cheap, runs greats and i pulled some decent number with the non synthetic one

I run royal purple 5w-30 with a K&N filter, and i don't think i'll run anything else. To me it feels like the motor responds quicker, smoother with no burps, no more build up and gas mileage is better. The only thing i do not like is the price. But recently my local shop had a special so i bought 2 cases for about 140 bucks.

Hey i wonder how many people on here still run 5w-20...i just talked to a guy that said he ran that weight oil since day one...i told him to try some 30 weight and see how he liked it...someone should post a thread telling people to use 30 weight instead of 20.

What oil filters do you guys use and do they really make a difference?

That's because you don't understand lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by cronicEP View Post
    I was wondering this same thing and was searching for info on this site. I saw many of you use Honda, K&N, and Mobil 1 filters. I've used Wix and Purolator Pure One filters over the years. Any drawbacks to these filters? Would I be better off with a Honda brand filter? Being that oil flow seems so important to these particular engines (as I've been reading on various sites) I was wondering if Wix and Pure One were not good choices (since in my time of searching did not read that anyone uses either of those filters).

Quote Originally Posted by relativelyprime View Post
    I was wondering this same thing and was searching for info on this site. I saw many of you use Honda, K&N, and Mobil 1 filters. I've used Wix and Purolator Pure One filters over the years. Any drawbacks to these filters? Would I be better off with a Honda brand filter? Being that oil flow seems so important to these particular engines (as I've been reading on various sites) I was wondering if Wix and Pure One were not good choices (since in my time of searching did not read that anyone uses either of those filters).
    stick with Wix and Purolator

Quote Originally Posted by cronicEP View Post

That's one thing I will say, the brand of oil filter actually makes a difference on some cases. The higher end ones are usually actually higher end (Unlike alot of the oils/ additives that are just renamed)

Eneos has a 0w50 that i pretty thick. I did a real simple test. Put some in the fridge along with some of their 5w30. Next day i poured them into a cup with a hole in it. Timed how long it took for it to pour out a set amount. 0w50 went just a tad slower. so close that it i couldn't call it conclusive, but thats good. because the Cold rating should be done at 0 degrees. Major difference when i microwaved them to 150 degrees. 50 weight wasn't like water. Don't get me started on the 0w20. that stuff turned into rubbing alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadphishy View Post
    Eneos has a 0w50 that i pretty thick. I did a real simple test. Put some in the fridge along with some of their 5w30. Next day i poured them into a cup with a hole in it. Timed how long it took for it to pour out a set amount. 0w50 went just a tad slower. so close that it i couldn't call it conclusive, but thats good. because the Cold rating should be done at 0 degrees. Major difference when i microwaved them to 150 degrees. 50 weight wasn't like water. Don't get me started on the 0w20. that stuff turned into rubbing alcohol.
    But how does it adhere to metal or other moving parts? You can have a lubricant that's very runny but that sticks very well to moving parts, therefore providing good protection. I'm not saying you don't have a point, but there are a million different things to look at. I will agree with your cold weight test as I have compared various viscosities and dino vs. synthetic when the air temperature is -35F. I had similar findings and, personally, I'd rather have the one that's like a liquid :-D

Quote Originally Posted by relativelyprime View Post
    But how does it adhere to metal or other moving parts? You can have a lubricant that's very runny but that sticks very well to moving parts, therefore providing good protection. I'm not saying you don't have a point, but there are a million different things to look at. I will agree with your cold weight test as I have compared various viscosities and dino vs. synthetic when the air temperature is -35F. I had similar findings and, personally, I'd rather have the one that's like a liquid :-D
    I agree. Oil film, Film strenght, and many other factors play a key in how an oil will protech a motor. However i've seen a few Blackstone Oil reports on eneos that tells me it works pretty damn good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information