Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ah I think the antenna wouldnt be to bad though the sunroof could be a little tricky. Not to sure until you try it i guess.

A woodgrain vinyl would be great on the rear quarter windows, make it look like an old delivery wagon! LOL

High speed delivery!

The vinyl allows you to do alot of whacky stuff just for the fun of it, and not break the bank!

Every panel a different color?

A great base for graffitti type spray job?
    Last edited by talonXracer; 04-27-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

I work in a sign shop that does this kind of stuff. I've applied it, I've removed it. Taking it off is a BITCH! There absolutely will be adhesive left after the vinyl is peeled and there is no easy way to remove it. There are adhesive removers of varying effectiveness but even the best ones only turn the glue into blobs of sticky snot-like slime that still need to me manually scraped off. God help him if he got cheap vinyl.

My experience tells me that removing the vinyl from the BMW shown in the link and getting all adhesive off as well would take days. Even longer if you let the vinyl stay on there as long as he was planning. However, I expect he will remove it sooner as the vinyl does not hold up well to road debris (those rockers will be toast in two months of average driving), and once the vinyl get full of pinholes from rocks and sand it will peel off in tiny pieces - not in one easy sheet.

If you really want to do this, think short term for how long you want it to last and use removable vinyl. You will thank me when it comes time for peeling it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
    However, I expect he will remove it sooner as the vinyl does not hold up well to road debris (those rockers will be toast in two months of average driving), and once the vinyl get full of pinholes from rocks and sand it will peel off in tiny pieces - not in one easy sheet.

If you really want to do this, think short term for how long you want it to last and use removable vinyl. You will thank me when it comes time for peeling it off.
    This is exactly what I'm worried about! I am still seriously considering doing this if I can find the color vinyl I want.

I would assume though if the vinyl becomes that bad, to just peel off, sand down, and re-apply? Well I guess the goo would stick all over the sandpaper...hmm...

我愛Ep3 - AreaCode 510
    Anyone find where you can get cheap vinyl? I might interesting in doing interior instead of exterior. Can someone give me a link on cheap vinyl?

do we still have a vendor? i thought we had decaldude who sold vinyl...in any case, hkrayingboyz, if you find a cheap vinyl supplier CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW, i need some for my senior thesis model for school
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

我愛Ep3 - AreaCode 510
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    do we still have a vendor? i thought we had decaldude who sold vinyl...in any case, hkrayingboyz, if you find a cheap vinyl supplier CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW, i need some for my senior thesis model for school
    no no no...... I meant if YOU find one, let me know. I try and dont seem to find any vendor that sell cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by sifrk32 View Post
    I would assume though if the vinyl becomes that bad, to just peel off, sand down, and re-apply? Well I guess the goo would stick all over the sandpaper...hmm...
    That's kinda right, but keep in mind peeling will take hours, removing the adhesive could take ten minutes or ten hours depending on your luck, and then the re-application.

BTW don't sand adhesive residue to remove it, use a liquid adhesive remover. A vinyl sign shop might sell you some good stuff ($35+ per gallon) or you could stock up on Goof Off or 3M Citrus Cleaner to get the job done. WD-40 doesn't cut it near as fast as the other stuff.

I'm actually not trying to talk you out of the wrap, I'm telling you to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
    That's kinda right, but keep in mind peeling will take hours, removing the adhesive could take ten minutes or ten hours depending on your luck, and then the re-application.

^ This is exactly what I thought.

Something I would worry about with putting vinyl on the roof is the vinyl what happens to the vinyl that is folded into the sun roof. When the sunroof opens and closes the rubber seal is pressed into the roof to try to keep some of the water out. I could see it cutting/tearing the vinyl folded in there.

Who the **** would do that to a brand new BMW? I will admit that it looks pretty cool and is unique, but I just don't have that sort of money to waste.

not on an EP, but some good FAQ's and details about wrapping: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/b...rap/index.html

^ nice link!

i just spent hours doing research on this stuff. as a protectant for the vinyl on the bumper & hood, what about clear paint protectant?
    sample link: http://www.decalfx.com/paint_protection_film.html

Not too sure but I think i read somewhere this stuff can turn yellow-ish. It makes sense to me to lay down vinyl, and then lay this vinyl over top? Btw I'm still seriously considering this project if I can get this color again:

my old car^^ w/ fresh sunburst orange paint

Just ordered some free samples from Oracal's site. I'll take a few pics when I get them in. Sounds like I found a solution for my EG.

Steve

Wrapping is old news. My friends dad been doing this for over 3 years now.

I also emailed a 3m supplier for their Di-Noc stuff. It's apparently WAY better for outdoor use, but of course, more money. (They also have a textured faux carbon fiber that's pretty sick looking.)

Steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information