Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Di-noc application is almost like applying window tint...you have to wet it first...we use it in the car design world for quick color mockups on clay models, just wet it, smooth it on...look at it, then pull it off without hurting the clay underneath
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Also to add to this for removing the vinyl residue and vinyl... 3m makes in spray cans woodgrain and vinyl remover and also the adhesive remover specifically for this. Just thought i would throw that out there. I had entertained the thought of going flat black on my hood, roof, and spoiler but am still undecided on how that would look with the glossy paint. If i do it though i will be painting it with a sems hot rod black kit that wont chalk up and will stay nice for a long time.

That is a great solution for the fickle minded person. I know plenty of people who get sick of things quite quickly... that becomes expensive. So for those type of people $200 every few months would be cheap to them.

I wonder how well the vinyl holds up after the first year: wear-n-tear (rock chips), weathering (hail, winters)

my friend own a vinyl sign making shop... Theirs a whole bunch of things you have to look at before you try this...
    #1 its not easy to apply vinyl the right way to a car
    #2 you really have to make sure your using the right vinyl
    #3 the longer the vinyl is on your car the harder it is to reamove( and yes it leave alot fo residue you need a special solution that softens the vinyl to get it off without damaging the paint)
    #4 The solid vinyl lastup to 5 years without fading the printed ink vinyls last 2yrs
    #5 you also have to look at where you live and the climate conditions extreme heat or cold also effects the vinyl...

very cool! might give it a swing. my only peeve would be stuff like the off color engine bay and door jambs, but that usually comes with most cheaper paint jobs anyways.
    Last edited by skep18; 08-10-2010 at 10:50 AM.

so does anyone know where to find some cheap vinyl? my buddy works at a sign shop but he was throwing some crazy numbers out at me

edit; i feel like it would be difficult/impossible to do intricate lips? am i wrong? im picturing trying to wrap a walker lip and in my head it doesnt seem like it would work. lol
    Last edited by ep3jd; 08-16-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Phil AKA Fepster did his EP in a cf wrap by the guy in my sig...here's some pics from nisei

Looks amazing in person, and yeah its VERY hard to do the lips.

a buddy of mine wrapped his original mini from flat black to lime green with almost SS style stripes going over the hood and tailgate with ghost tire tracks through it, it looks nuts, but you wouldnt guess its vinyl. He paid something like $1500 for the entire car with a 5 year warrenty on the wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by ep3jd View Post
    so does anyone know where to find some cheap vinyl? my buddy works at a sign shop but he was throwing some crazy numbers out at me

edit; i feel like it would be difficult/impossible to do intricate lips? am i wrong? im picturing trying to wrap a walker lip and in my head it doesnt seem like it would work. lol
    i think stickercity have some good price, try ---> www.stickercity.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymouas View Post
    i think stickercity have some good price, try ---> www.stickercity.com/
    grassy ass, senor!

Wrapping a daily driver is a bad idea, if you don't have the money to paint your car,.. I would just wait longer and save more. this stuff isnt made for daily road abuse.

www.trackwraps.com

I've worked with this stuff many times. no residue on peel off and is very moldable. originally made for race bikes so it can take a beating. i have a pic of my center dash i did with the skull wrap. its actually hard to get a bubble in this stuff.

i'd love to see an ep in digidark or urban camo
    -and/or-
    a woody hood

Taken from:
    http://www.trackwraps.com/about.htm

"The first wrap held up great - even lasting through two additional crashes later that season. The vinyl actually helped to hold the fiberglass bodywork together after it cracked and still looked pretty good when we finally pulled the busted stuff off."

"The material is the same type that they use to wrap NASCAR cars, vehicles and is rated to last 5-7 years outside. The 150+ mph speeds we see on the track can take their toll on the finish over time (especially for those of us that do dozens of track or race days per year), but the protective gloss coating on the wrap makes it less susceptible to chipping that paint."
    Last edited by 4lugSLUG; 09-01-2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: more info

definintly gonna go for wrapping the car this summer. thought i will give it a shot.

Its great . Wrapped my A6 in Dec 2010. From white to red.
    Gonna get my Ep3 Type-r wrapped in yellow next week.

Think i am gonna wrap my Sun damaged CF hood.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information