Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suspension opinios on Ep3 type r

hey guys, i've been feeling that the rear of my car is VERY bouncy these days. at high speed, if the road isn't completely flat, the car's all over the place. a friend of mine said that most probably the shock absorbers are dead. what would you guys suggest i replace these with? i'm looking for something equivalent or better than the oem ep3r's suspension, and it'd be nice if it was cheaper as well. thanks a lot

mugen SS or progress coilovers. both are ~$1000USD.

that's way out of my budget. any other suggestions? i've seen some makes like tokico that sell the blue shocks for example, how do these compare to OEM and the ones you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by btf144 View Post
    that's way out of my budget. any other suggestions? i've seen some makes like tokico that sell the blue shocks for example, how do these compare to OEM and the ones you mentioned?
    just cut your stock springs and call it a day.....

DC5 A-spec or type-r suspension? probably can find a set used for a decent price.

ephatch member
    tokico hp blues are better than blown stock shocks, but not better than new stock shocks.. I got the tkocko shocks on the rear of my car now, and im not impressed at all. Kw v2 next :)

DC5 A-spec kit can be found brand new for $600, you need to run DC5 tie rods, and grind down the lower mount on the rears to run em though.

If youre looking to upgrade with out a huge price jump I'd go with Koni Yellows, or Tokico's. If you just want oem replacements try some of the KYB's. I know they have a replacement shock series. Pretty low in price. Heard they ride like oem, with a tiny bit more durability, but I've never ridden in them.

any link for the KYB's? the weird thing is whenever i look up shocks for the ep3, like tokico or koni's, they specify that it's for the 02-05 ep3 (excluding type r). does it not fit then? Do these KYB's perform better than the stocks handling wise? will i need to get new springs?

Quote Originally Posted by btf144 View Post
    any link for the KYB's? the weird thing is whenever i look up shocks for the ep3, like tokico or koni's, they specify that it's for the 02-05 ep3 (excluding type r). does it not fit then? Do these KYB's perform better than the stocks handling wise? will i need to get new springs?
    I'm not advocating them but here you go:
    http://www.kyb-europe.com/catalogue.asp

I would suggest you inquire here:
    http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...b0287e74a8b4fc
    Last edited by Hasbro; 07-24-2010 at 08:28 PM.

I was going to say I have some oem 04 shocks/struts laying around and I'm willing to ship but I don't think it's worth it to lebanon lol

ummmm the raceland coilovers are very popular here, look in the suspension forum I think the thread on them is like 15+ pages. Also they are only about $300.

well what i want is better handling, while maintaining daily-drivability. i also want a set that will last, i wouldn't want to buy a set of shocks or coilovers that i'll have to replace in a few months. so what do you guys think, tokico, koni, or kyb shocks (with stock springs if possible, or something not too low) or the raceland coilovers?

In my opinion Koni.

I've been on tokico blues which are good for the price.
    But they are not adjustable.
    I personally haven't been on KYB's
    but I am on Koni Yellows right now
    Good stuff.
    I love em
    and adjustable

whatever happened to the tokico d-specs? they were hella popular for a while...

i thought tokico blues were basically OEM replacements, not really performance oriented...?

it just seems to me that tokico blues or koni yellows are a downgrade from the OEM type-r suspension. they might be an "upgrade" for the usdm ep, but not for a type-r.
    Last edited by powdbyrice; 07-25-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Most of us on this thread are from North America. Your stock shocks are much nicer than what we have for oem. 3/4" lower and stiffer, very nicely matched to your car. There's a reason Top Gear voted the CTR "Hot Hatch Of The Year" four years in a row. All you really need are two UKDM/EDM/JDM oem rear shocks. With your budget I'd rather have those than aftermarket springs, especially since your talking performance and daily driveability. You want to spend more then there are other alternatives. I have A-Specs but would rather have JDM DC5Rs or CTRs, they're all very good. For you it would be easier with UKDM/EDM, of course.

Tokicos and KYBs are really just fair quality. You get what you pay for with shocks/struts.
    Last edited by Hasbro; 07-25-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information