Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So how much would you charge to make one of these? how about make me one for 60$!? I'll pay more if you can guarantee that it's solid and have a way to run the light there. =] Oh hey how did you cut that MDF board for the front? just hand held jigsaw? And how did you attach the mdf front to the glass back? is it just laying it down on top and putting glass and resin all over where they meet?

if your talking about my box for the front peice I cut the outside with a bandsaw. cut the inside with a jig saw and used a router bit to cut the opening for the speaker itself. I used dowel rods and fiberglass to hold it in place until I streched the front over it and glassed it in place permenatly. Also there is no way I personally would ever do this for $60. Ive got more than that just in the materials that went into it not to mention how much of my time it took to make it. Plus after that project I determined that I really hate fiberglass and wouldnt touch the stuff for anyone besides myself :)

lol no wonder custom boxes are so expensive. one day i'll get so sick of my bigass box i'll attempt this.

Yeah, only way to cut costs on something like this would be producing them in volume, I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ttttrigg3r View Post
    lol no wonder custom boxes are so expensive. one day i'll get so sick of my bigass box i'll attempt this.
    Yeah thats what finally made me decide to downgrade to a single 12L7 in a sealed box from a single 15L7 in a ported box

And before that I was running 2 15L7 in a sealed box

DAMN!!!! and i thought i had no space

Do want. Need bad.

It looks rad! I really like it. The only problem I see is the incorrect volume for the sub you are using. There is a lot of math involved in sub boxes to get the right sound without overtones and other crap like that. Most people might not care but you could make your sub sound really bad in that box.

Not hating on your idea, just something to think about if you think about making them for other people. :)

No, I wouldn't make mine for $60 either. It took awhile.

My ratio for space saving versus SQ was about 70/30. I don't want it really loud, and I'm not a huge audiophile. I do want A sub, but I carry stuff in the back ALL the time, so it's important that it take up as little room as possible. I really like Chad's box with the raised floor and the spare tire sub box, but it looked like a lot of work. I also wanted to keep the light, but if you look at it, the hatch area is not symmetrical. The driver's side shape would allow less volume for the sub, so it had to go on the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by TTownEP View Post
    No, I wouldn't make mine for $60 either. It took awhile.

My ratio for space saving versus SQ was about 70/30. I don't want it really loud, and I'm not a huge audiophile. I do want A sub, but I carry stuff in the back ALL the time, so it's important that it take up as little room as possible. I really like Chad's box with the raised floor and the spare tire sub box, but it looked like a lot of work. I also wanted to keep the light, but if you look at it, the hatch area is not symmetrical. The driver's side shape would allow less volume for the sub, so it had to go on the passenger side.

When are you going to start fabbing these for fellow members? ;)

ROFL... Overtones.
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information