Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BaLisTek View Post
    no prob.. i have a soft spot for making things
    Yeah? Ya wanna make me a matched set of FG boxes, like the OP's, but for 10s? It was my birfday Friday, call it a belated gift!

Seriously though, nice work OP! I've been thinking about something like this myself, same deal with some well-priced speakers that I don't want to go to waste, but without gobbling up all the hatch space. Keep us updated on your work!

It sounds so much better since I got it sealed up good. Now I just have to chase a few rattles in my passenger door, and figure out a way to keep it from falling over. Now that it's been in there for a few weeks, the carpet has compressed and it wants to fall over.

I also watched a lot more YouTube videos from that guy on fiberglassing that Balistek posted. There was definitely some good tips and tricks in there for next time.

Also, the other matching speaker to this one is for sale over in the classifieds.

JL Audio 12W1v2 - 4 ohm

i wonder if you can get some nice strong velcro and secure it that way? you know the really wide kind that comes in a roll?

Quote Originally Posted by johnkimble View Post
    i wonder if you can get some nice strong velcro and secure it that way? you know the really wide kind that comes in a roll?
    I actually thought about that. Right now, I'm just taking right turns very carefully, haha.

I know you are not going to like hearing this but the only proper way to hold it down is with a bolt through the bottom of the hatch. Thats how I did mine and its not going anywhere. Anything less than bolting/screwing it down is a gamble. Plus it makes it that much more difficult to be stolen.

If I did that, I'd have to put more sealant and one HELL of a fender washer in there to keep the fiberglass from breaking out. My other plan was to put some kind of little lip at the top just to keep it from tipping. And as for theft, I really am not that concerned, since you can't see it with the parcel shelf in there. I actually had someone "break in" one time when I forgot to lock the doors. All he took was my iPod nano. Left my amp and sub untouched. I don't think he even opened the hatch. He did release the handbrake though, and let my car roll out in the street. That was weird.

Maybe I went overboard with the thickness of my fiberglass, But then again i did use MDF for the bottom.

I love this box OP. Let me know if you want to make one to sell or want to sell the one here. Are you getting good clean sound?

dude you should totally fab some more of those and sell them on here. I know that there are a lot of people who could use a box like that. Looks really good.

Great looking box,came out very nice.

ITT: we all try to get up on some dude's box.

Looks good dude!!!
    Last edited by &REY; 12-28-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firmk20 View Post
    dude you should totally fab some more of those and sell them on here. I know that there are a lot of people who could use a box like that. Looks really good.
    What would someone be willing to pay for one of these?
    I could make a few (and an improved one for myself) if someone made it worth the time. I would definitely beef it up a little bit, and make it much cleaner looking.

Quote Originally Posted by ttttrigg3r View Post
    Are you getting good clean sound?
    This one is really thin. I can hear the back moving if the seats are down. I got a couple of free bags of glass mat and some resin from my mom's house, I'm going to try to make a new one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information