Close

Rear shock bolt stuck Need Help!

Tried to get my rear buddy club rsd off to send to get rebuilt buts bolt is stuck. Seems like its a metal sleeve inside nd is froze together. Already broke the welded nut off on accident nd tried takin a hammer to it with pb blaster but cant get it out it just turns. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to PITAville, population YOU!

There are a few different techniques to get that bolt off. I soak it with PB blaster everyday for a week, place a jack under the trailing arm to hold it still(to prevent the shock bushing from absorbing the impact), and use a mallet and boxend wrench. (Poor mans impact wrench)

But what you're saying is that you broke part of the trailing arm? I don't know what else to say than replace the trailing arm. And that you may want a shop to do, because you'd have to remove the brakes, hub bearing unit, knuckle, then try not to kill yourself unbolting the arm with the damper still attached. If you find an easier way to do it, let me know.

Can you take a picture of the area, in case I misunderstood the problem?
    Last edited by Drew1d; 05-03-2010 at 08:06 AM.

another way to do it is drill a small hole through the bottom of the strut where the bushing and metal sleeve are at the bottom and drill until you hit the bolt, then put the nozzle from the bp blaster in and get it in there to penetrate the surface of the bolt and the inner sleeve...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Any luck?

Nope no luck yet im goin to try to heat the bolt up nd see if tht works nd the part on the trailing arm tht broke off was the nut thts welded on we are jus goin to weld it back nd i called buddy club for suggestions nd they had no clue what to do

Quote Originally Posted by tjs03si View Post
    Nope no luck yet im goin to try to heat the bolt up nd see if tht works nd the part on the trailing arm tht broke off was the nut thts welded on we are jus goin to weld it back nd i called buddy club for suggestions nd they had no clue what to do
    I wish I could weld. I imagine if you could get in there, and tack weld the nut in place, you might be able to get the bolt out in a more conventinal manner. But that's a real tight spot, and burning yourself with a welder would REALLY suck. Maybe even try cleaning where it broke(wire brush), JB welding the nut in place, either trying the jack or drill method or heat getting the bolt out, remove the strut, than dremelling off the jb weld and having the nut re-welded. But at this point I'm talking out my ass.

If you can get the nut off, I'd imagine a hammer would pop the bolt off the otherside. It's probably in the way though, and froze to it.

I know some people who just replace the springs, compress the strut, and swing it out of place with the bolt still attached. I've never done it, but if you need a little room to work...

Good luck man. It's a tough spot to be in.

The nut is actually off just froze to metal sleeve nd i have to take the whole coilover off to send it for rebuild so seems lik my only option on it is to heat the bolt or cut the bolt out. nd its easy to tack weld with a mig welder

That sucks. I had the same prob. when I went do do my spriings. Ended up stripping the nut that was welded to the control arm. Also pushed apart the metal bracket that holds the bottom of the shock.
    Had to cut the bolt off with a cuttin wheel and buy a new Tokiko shock and lower control arm. Was tuff to do with no help, but I felt like I conquered the world when I put it all back together.
    My next investment will be a air compressor and impact.

Section the nut with a dremel and pry the chunks off the bolt until you just have the bolt stub left in the hole. Then find a suitable punch (or and old crappy screwdriver) and pound the hell out of the bolt back through the hole till it comes out the other side. Hopefully the tabs don't bend and the sleeve is still usable.

just thought i would update on my problem i had to take a cuting wheel to the bolt to get them out only thing that work nd i tryed pb blaster nd torch to get t out

Thread Information