Close

Exclamation Removing bumper light lenses

Yes, I've read through the manual on how to remove the red and amber bumper lights from my car, but upon trying it I felt like I was totally going to snap these things. They were actually flexing my bumper from me pushing so hard with a flat head screwdriver wrapped in a cloth.

Is there a secret for removing these things? I have a blown light and want to replace with LED's that are sitting in my garage ha.

Any help appreciated!
    Last edited by talonXracer; 10-02-2008 at 10:51 AM.

they are bitch because they get crusted and stuck with dirt, etc over time and the plastic starts to weaken. I had to remove one cuz a bulb blew and they failed my safety inspection (LAME!) and i broke the little plastic "spring" on the lens that holds it in, even being very careful. Once you have the little spring thing pushed in the correct direction try pulling out on the light and it should pop off. my bumpers flexed as well doing this. just keep trying and they should come off.

if the springs do break, i recommend 3M super duty double sided tape. just cut a small piece, stick it to the backside of the light, and the other side will stick to the covered up part of your bumper. thats what I did, the lights are like $80-100 a piece from a dealer.

Yeah I figured mine might be a little jammed up from age. I'll give it a shot again, but I'm just pushing straight back right? Not pushing away from the car and back or anything?

yeah just straight, once the spring compresses enough the light should pop out. but if you think you got it pushed in enough try pushing away from the car to see if it comes out.

You can do the rears without removing the lights. Just reach up under the back bumper and feel for the bulb harness.

Thanks I'll give it a shot for the rears!

DO the reach around for the rears. and the fronts if your afraid to pull them out with a flat head...Why dont you pop out some of the clips from the plastic wheel well.. and reach your hand through there.

I also found out yesterday that if your rockin' the stock airbox and remove your battery, you can reach the back of the drivers side marker by reaching your hand down through the hole behind the battery. I had to do like DgrzEp3 said on the passenger side and remove a couple of the pop-out clips and reach through. Couple of minutes with a flat blade screwdriver.

Personally, I always undo the two clips on the wheel well liners and take them out from the back. They're way too expensive from honda to not care about if you break one.

Quote Originally Posted by thehulme View Post
    Once you have the little spring thing pushed in the correct direction try pulling out on the light and it should pop off. my bumpers flexed as well doing this. just keep trying and they should come off.
    what direction? to the back or front??

Yeah I cracked a rear one trying to take it out to replace a bulb. Was hardly shifting at all when trying to slide it forward. I glued the broken piece back on and it looks fine, but I wish I knew beforehand that it was so easy to just reach under the bumper to get it.

OK sounds like I'm definitely going under the bumpers then lol. I have LED's so hopefully they won't need to be replaced anytime soon.

Thread Information