Close

Brake disc wobbles?

When i have the car lifted off the ground i can wobble the tire side to side. one hand on top one hand on bottom and move it inwards and outwards from the wheel well. Also i have a grinding noise when i drive it doesnt get worse when i brake if i turn slightly to the right the noise goes away if i turn far to the right i get a loud squeel. This is the passenger side wheel. I can see that the top of the disc has an indentation in it. thanks for the advice.

This happened to my dad's 1994 Corolla. Turns out he was acouple miles from walking.
    The driver side wheel bearing was completely crap. Whole thing just came apart.
    Once we installed a new wheel bearing, no more tire wiggle and the metal grinding noise went away.

kerby- thanks i will look into that is there a diy on this?
    Last edited by Jrw; 05-12-2010 at 04:19 PM.

I've never done or seen one done on a EP3... but my pops says it took him 3 hours to press the new one back in. to install it and assemble everything only took 30 mins. To press it out, it took us a good hour trying to figure it out. Real pain the a$$.

another stupid question, on the disc there are four screws to hold it on correct? if two of these are missing could this cause the wobble?

No, those screws are not necessary after final assembly in the plant. They are only used to hold the rotor on the hub before wheels are added.

D@mn, i wish there was an easy way to do this. Im not in the mood to take the wheel apart!

You can always take it to the stealership and let them bend you over the hood to collect their payment.

I haven't done the bearings on an EP3, but I have on a Tacoma and Silverado. Took the assembly and parts down to a local Napa who had a press and they charged like $25-$30 to press out the old and press in the new. After that it was just bolting everything back up. Perhaps you can find a local shop with a press that'll do the same for a fee.

Thats probably what i will do. Im just feeling lazy since ive dont this k20/k24 swap ive been fixing things that i phucked up.
    if it werent for this site and your guys answering my stupid question the stealership would be rich off of me. I really do appriciate it.

Just like Kirby said. My friend your wheel bearing is shot. I had my drive side front replaced at 82k. The rest are still originals now at 158k. If you have no experience take it to a shop or if you know how disassemble everything else then there is a tool you can buy that it can be done with the knuckle still on the car. If I recall it's called a shark puller of some sort. Just google wheel bearing puller or something of that nature. Sorry dont have the exact name for it.

Get that replaced asap. I had a buddy on an older civic that didnt replace his and they get bad enough where they will heat up so bad they will freeze up the bearing.

Thread Information