Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blitzsafe iPod Interface -- plugs directly to OEM radio

Hey all,

So I saw a Blitzsafe iPod interface for sale in the classifieds, and I decided to snag it. Installed it yesterday, didn't finish until today due to lack of tools (needed a socket wrench with an extension to get one of those 90 degree screws out..)

Anyhow, I was hoping I would be able to route the cables from the radio to the container hidden underneath the cupholders, but unfortunately, i didnt know that the containment is sealed, and I am not going to make holes on my center console.

So what I did instead was run the wires through the back, to the passenger footwell area, so I can get the actual cable that plugs to the iPod to plug to the cable from the Blitzsafe box there, to help with troubleshooting. Then I snuck the cable underneath the center console "skirt" on the passenger side, so it can emerge approximately where the sliding cupholder ends.

The Blitzsafe box itself is located on that little void that you can access if you take the glovebox out. It is directly to the left of where the left glovebox "hook" hooks. No photos of this one, because I thought of taking pictures only after I was done, unfortunately.

It connects to the rear of the stock radio, right next to the vehicle connectors, there would be an empty interface for things such as this, or an external multidisc changer

Pictures would speak better, so without further adieu, here we are:

Where the Blitz-iPod connection is made (passenger footwell area)

what it looks like (i pulled it out so it can be seen -- otherwise, i tuck it away)

i tucked it under the center console, to emerge around this area

iPod out operation

stealth mode

how i would operate it while driving

the view from outside, peeking in, hands cupped to block sunlight -- not very obvious that its there, and to those who doesnt know the cupholder does slide to reveal a compartment, they'll have some thinking to do to determine what the heck that cable could be

what the passenger can see -- not much

what the OEM radio will be telling you (you press CD/AUX twice, so it would think there's a multi disc changer attached)

what the blitzsafe thing looks like (taken from their site)

Like I said, just wanted to share, and also because I feel damn proud that I spent 5 hours in the car obsessing over how to do this, and getting stuck with a stuck 90 degree bolt

good work!!

Although I would probably tape the joint together, because it does tend to come lose easily while driving, and you cannot reach down to fix it while driving.

otherwise great stuff man!! hope you enjoy it as much as i did!

thanks for the advice!

yea it seems like its easy to get it loose, but we'll see -- the way i twisty tied it relieves tension on one of the connectors, so we'll see if my (supposed) knowledge of physics is enough

also, this marks my first "true" contribution to the site, yaaay!
    Last edited by STP03BlueSI; 10-08-2008 at 07:42 AM.

That's outstanding! I've been wrestling with an FM transmitter to use my iPod in the car. Very mediocre results at best. I was actually planning on replacing the entire head unit to get direct link iPod playback, but I think I like this better! My experience has proven that aftermarket audio equipment works amazingly well as a thief magnet (death to thieves!) This product will get my iPod tunes cranking without attracting undue attention. Thanks for posting this!

Oh yeah, I also wanted to let you know I think someone jizzed in your tray behind your cup holders. Better get some disinfectant on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
    Oh yeah, I also wanted to let you know I think someone jizzed in your tray behind your cup holders. Better get some disinfectant on that.
    Haha, I saw that too.

I loved my blitzsafe adapter. Unfortunately my iPod died and I didn't replace it.
    I did cut a small hole in my console, just big enough for the cable head to poke through, up high on the front. There's no way you could ever see that hole with the console mounted in the car, I could only find it when it was out. Then I could shut the little hatch on the cup holders and have it completely hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by TTownEP View Post
    ...I did cut a small hole in my console, just big enough for the cable head to poke through, up high on the front. There's no way you could ever see that hole with the console mounted in the car, I could only find it when it was out. Then I could shut the little hatch on the cup holders and have it completely hidden.
    That's what I was going to try. Did you have to remove the center storage area to make the hole?

Yes, I just pulled the whole console out and flipped it over. It'll be obvious where you need the hole to go.

I popped a hole inside the cup holder compartment int eh very front, will never be seen... best thing I ever did.
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

I tucked my cable underneath the cup holder so no one can see the aux wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
    disturbing, i know -- but it wont come off (no pun intended :)

i tried cleaning that up but it seems like its some kind of cream drink, so i just kinda left it alone after a while -- makes an interesting topic opener though when i have passengers in the car that are inquisitive enough to notice

one thing i really love about this iPod interface is its capability to charge the newer generation iPods -- one thing to note however, is that it keeps on charging your iPod even with the ignition set to off -- like the radio runs on some phantom power to keep the anti-theft features alive, that phantom power carries over to the iPod, so make sure you use an iPod with batteries that you wont care for much, or disconnect the connection afterwards

... get my iPod tunes cranking without attracting undue attention
    exactly why i opted for this option -- the cuts and scrapes on my hands are worth it trying to get this beezie in

My experience has proven that aftermarket audio equipment works amazingly well as a thief magnet (death to thieves!)
    funny, because when i used to have my first car, a base trim automatic '99 Saturn SL2, someone broke into my car to steal about $3 worth of loose change, a pen, some hand sanitizer, and baby wipes... wtf, srsly?

thieves...

Yes, I just pulled the whole console out and flipped it over. It'll be obvious where you need the hole to go.
    i really wanted to get something like this done, but having to remove the whole thing? too much trouble for me, so what i have must suffice for now

i actually thought of routing the cable through the power socket (not the empty slot on the center dash trim, next to the shifter, under that) but i voted against it because: one, it will involve some cutting to get the trim to fit back properly, and two, the cabling would be more exposed

then again, i thought of another grand idea after everything's done (boo!) -- how about routing the wire to the driver side of things? im thinking get the cables to run through the fuse panel cover, onto the fabricky sleeve pocket thing underneath the driver side cupholder and above the hood release lever

one thing i really love about this iPod interface is its capability to charge the newer generation iPods -- one thing to note however, is that it keeps on charging your iPod even with the ignition set to off -- like the radio runs on some phantom power to keep the anti-theft features alive, that phantom power carries over to the iPod, so make sure you use an iPod with batteries that you wont care for much, or disconnect the connection afterwards.
    It charges for 20 minutes after you turn the ignition off. At least that's what mine did. And you'd do well to keep it out of the car when it gets hot. All that heat cycling will kill that battery quick.

i really wanted to get something like this done, but having to remove the whole thing? too much trouble for me, so what i have must suffice for now
    It's really not that big of a deal to get the console out. A few of screws down on the sides, and two bolts in the bottom of the storage cubby.

Quote Originally Posted by TTownEP View Post
    It charges for 20 minutes after you turn the ignition off. At least that's what mine did. And you'd do well to keep it out of the car when it gets hot. All that heat cycling will kill that battery quick.

It's really not that big of a deal to get the console out. A few of screws down on the sides, and two bolts in the bottom of the storage cubby.
    interesting, i'll check mine out later today

as for dying iPod battery, my iPod's is bad anyway, thats why i made it the perfect candidate to be used for this application -- its dependent on outside power now, otherwise it will die within an hour of just playing music

as for removing the console, i'll go take a look at that service manual and see -- maybe its a good summer project to add to my list

I have the blitzsafe iPod adapter and I know it work's on the iPhone 3G/3GS/4...

Anyone else with an iPhone 4 + Blitzsafe iPod adapter notice that the iPhone get's really hot? It feel's like it's being overcharged and causing the battery to over heat.

Quote Originally Posted by vicx52o View Post
    I have the blitzsafe iPod adapter and I know it work's on the iPhone 3G/3GS/4...

Anyone else with an iPhone 4 + Blitzsafe iPod adapter notice that the iPhone get's really hot? It feel's like it's being overcharged and causing the battery to over heat.
    It may WORK but does it charge?

The newest classics, ipod touch and pphone 3 G and up removed firewire charging, they have to be charged via the USB pins, the iphone goes one sttep further and has to be faked into a charge by showing voltage ont eh data lines of hte USB too.
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

It does work/function fine and it does say that it is charging... But I know for sure it shouldn't get super hot when it is plugged in... The metal rim/antenna that goes around the phone get's REALLY hot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information