Close

Angry tie rod locknut from hell

Which way I need to turn the locknut on the front tie rod to loosen that bitch? I tried the normal clockwise as if I were tightening to make it move away from the tie rod (it would move inwards towards the steering box) but it does not budge. It seems to me if I tried counter closkwise, I would only press it harder against the tie rod assembly. I need to replace the tie rod ball joint assembly and cannot finish the job until I get the old one out...I tried penetrating oil and all my strength to no avail.
    Last edited by EP3driver; 05-29-2010 at 01:28 PM.

when your facing the tie rod on the drivers side and pass side you need to turn it clockwise to loosen to them, its always gonna be pain in the ass...just need some strength or a breaker bar

Well, I am gonna have to buy the whole tie rod tube, anyone has pics of how to do that? The manual is not really that clear on where to grab it and what to turn, I am talking aboiut remioving the driver side tie rode tube from the steering bracket is attached to in the center of the rack...

THAT is a bitch with the engine in. The Helms manual shows, but it isnt untill you start actually working on it that it becomes evident, it has been awhile since I replaced a tierod and cant remember the exact procedure.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Yup it's a bitch to reach down there. I will need a wrench large enough to turn the large nut holding the tie rod to the bracket, the problem is the difficult location and lack of leverage to turn that sucker from the top...I installed the other 3 coilovers easily and this one corner was my last to do, until I ran into the tie rod issue. It ruined my weekend because now I have to back order parts and wait AND hope I can get the SOB out.

Well, I got lucky. I cut a 1/16" sliver along the tie rod body after the jam nut and sprayed the inside with PB blaster. It finally came out, I will have to replace the tie rod bj assembly but that is easier and cheaper than replacing the whole arm which is practically impossible to remove with the engine in the car.

Thread Information