Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At the shop...

Wow seems like good stuff i think i am gonna pick one up. So what supply do you have Chad is it the 55 gallon drum lol

Good news: It looks like the RCAs are the culprit. Took a while to troubleshoot it, but I was methodical. I just find it odd that the Kicker XI's are the ones to blame. I probably should have just re-run the cable, but I inspected it a good distance on each end and they appeared to be fine and undamaged, nor grounded to anything. I didn't feel like cutting the zip ties and removing all the door jam shrouds and whatnot.

I checked the headunit to make sure that the outputs were fine. All 6 channels appear to be problem free. Didn't have any slack to move the other 2 channels to see if the inputs on the amp are toast, though. I'm optimistic that the amp is functional, since it's out of protect mode without the RCAs.

Hopefully a new cable gets me back in business.

*edit: Good call on giving the wiring a more thorough inspection, thanks guys!

take a 1/8'' to RCA and drop it ont he amp to see if the speakers make noise... RCA's SHOULD NOT make an amp go into protect.

BUT, BUT sometimes if the RCA grounds out it can piss off a differential input.
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    take a 1/8'' to RCA and drop it ont he amp to see if the speakers make noise... RCA's SHOULD NOT make an amp go into protect.

BUT, BUT sometimes if the RCA grounds out it can piss off a differential input.
    I didn't think RCAs could cause a protection fault, either. In any case I plugged in my iPod classic via 1/8" <-> RCA and tested all 4 channels of the amp. Looks like it's good. Planning on ordering new RCAs tomorrow. Thinking of going with Monster 400 series XLNs or maybe Stinger. Was debating on going with Knukonceptz Karma or Krystal but have seen a lot of negative reviews.

Update: I picked up a set of Monster Cable 400 series 4 channel RCAs. Came in on Tuesday, but no time to actually work on it until I rolled out of bed at 5:30AM this morning to make time.

Ran the new set... What happens? Amps aren't powering up. I think I killed the remote wire while pulling the old cable out. Dont feel like tracking down where the kink/cut is, just going to pick up a new remote wire and some Noalox while I'm at it. HOPEFULLY get all of this crap fixed by this weekend.
    Last edited by introvert; 07-01-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information