Close

ephatch member

stock head unit RMS??

I want to change the interior speakers but wondering if i could without chaning the head unit. My plan is to get some infiniti kappas 60.2 or something like that and kicker 6.5 inch in the rear. Do u think the head unit could power it? And does anyone know how much watts the head unit gives out? Thanks.

Glix2
    I'm not entirely sure but I think it's 50w x 4
    I currently have the stock head unit w/
    stock front speakers
    rear infinity 5x7's
    hatch 10" infinity and 10" impp pioneer
    760 w sony amp

The stock deck handles it just fine clarity falls off around volume level 5 but anything above that is way to loud imho.

I seriously doubt that the head pushes 50W RMS per channel. Maybe 20 at most.

When things sound ugly, it doesn't sound like the speakers are being overdriven -- it sounds like the amp is past its peak. At that point, it's much too quiet to be running 50 watts per corner.

I also really want to know the stock head's RMS power, mainly to know if it's worth keeping around just to drive the main speakers.

I could of sworn that I remember that on the Honda website they described the sound system to have 6 speakers and 140 watts. but after going back I could not find that info again. Although the figure of 140 watts (35x4) does sound accurate to me. Remembe that that wattage is peak, and could be derived from one channel (i.e all fade and balance to one single speaker) so that number might be questionable. If it is 35x4 peak you could figure the RMS to be 17.5 (RMS=Root mean square or the average of a AC wave, peak/2) but I am sure that that is at a very high distortion rate (way over 1%). So if I had to put money down on a number I would say 10-8 watts RMS at the same level of distirtion of a typical component amp.

Just to let you all know out there, RMS is NOT Peak/2, it is (Peak)(.7) This is because of the characteristics of a sine wave. Jut thought that I would let you all know that.

I would say guess that it's probably 15 watts per channel RMS, if that.

Glix2
    Sorry for the confusion when I said 50w x 4 I didn't mean RMS.

ephatch member
    probably no more than 20watts RMS

Replace them all, head unit sucks ass, so do the factory speakers, 2 amps x over and some subs, can't curise w/o some tunes, that's my first mod on every car.

THE SOUND SYSTEM!

Originally posted by LeperCon
    Just to let you all know out there, RMS is NOT Peak/2, it is (Peak)(.7) This is because of the characteristics of a sine wave. Jut thought that I would let you all know that.
    Really, what reasoning do you have to support your statement?

Without going into the derivations:

V1=V2/(SR2) => SR2=1.41421 => 1/1.41421=.707109 => V1=V2*.707109

Where: V1=RMS Voltage
    V2=Peak Voltage
    SR=Square Root

Now, multiplying peak voltage by .7 is just a quick thumbrule that I happen to use at work. If you would like to see the derivations, here is a quick link I found: http://alpha400.ee.unsw.edu.au/elec0...s_examples.pdf

Hope this helps.

ephatch member
    you are right somewhat but nothing is perfect. notice when most amps say what their peak is such as a sony with 50X4 when it says rms it is actually something like 22-23WX4 RMS.

Those mathematical equations are for perfect situations which dont exist in the real world.

our headunit is probably somewhere between 5 and 10W rms. It starts distorting way too early.

Originally posted by LeperCon
    Actually RMS is route, mean, square of the peak voltage. so if you need to determine RMS from peak, just multiply peak by .707
    ...but you already knew that.
    Last edited by myeverlovinsir; 01-03-2003 at 05:53 PM.

Thread Information