Close

Type R style wing help

Hey guys, i just got my carbon fiber type r style wing from showstoppers.. and i wanted to know from any body who has this wing to let me know what i need to install it.. I know its the 6 bolts but i think the stock wing has some sort of velcro or something on the glass to hold the sides down. And do i have to drill any holes to wire up the 3rd brake light? Thanks in advance =]

There are two pieces of super-strong plastic velcro holding the tips of the stock wing onto the glass of the hatch. If you lift the wing a little and get down close you can see where they are. Just use something that wont mark your glass or wing to pry it up. After you can remove the velcro with fishing line and clean the glass with goof-off.

The stock wing is attached with 6 bolts which are hidden under the plastic piece which houses the third break light. Remove the upper center plastic trim piece which houses the third break light by gently pulling it out. There should be 4 plastic press clips, try not to break them. After that it's pretty self explanatory. Remove the third break light, remove all the bolts and nuts holding the stock wing on, remove the stock wing. Drilling the hole should be done with a stencil which should have come with the wing? Did you not get that? If not you're going to have to wing it. Look carefully at the wing and where the wires come through. Take measurements between bolts and coordinate those measurements onto your hatch. Measure 10 times, cause you can only drill once. After drilling you're going to want to clean up the hole carefully with a file and then put a coat of paint on there. When my brother did his HFP wing he just used touch-up paint. I would recommend going with something a little more robust like chassis-saver or POR-15. Let this dry for as long as the instructions call for. After that route the wires through the hole and use wire tap (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ource=googleps) to splice into the existing third break light wires.

Put the CTR wing on and bolt it up, push the plastic trim piece back into place.

Congrats! You're done!

EDIT: Did the wing you got come with a form showing you where to drill for the 3rd break light?
    Last edited by Chromium4500; 06-23-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: I suck at reading comprehension....

Thanks man...But nope, i didnt get any insturctions or stencils..
    I dont think i have a problem with drilling the hole cause its gona be tiny anyway
    but so do i need to have new velcro for the glass on the new wing?

No, we just used a piece of 3M two sided tape on each corner to keep the wing from rattling. However, I think because yours is a JDM rep it may not actually contact the hatch glass. Mount it with a couple of bolts just to see how it actually sits on the hatch first.

Well, im pretty dissapointed.. i went to put my wing on today and i went to fit it up first to see if if sat right.. so i put all my bolts in and the wing dosnt come in contact with the glass on the bottom of the wing.. Its like a half inch or 3/4 inch gap! im not gona keep it like that so i guess im gona have to get a replacement cause that is defenately not right.. im hoping its a default in the one wing.. anyone else with this problem

Yeah, you're the second thread I've read with the same complaint about a showstoppers JDM rep wing.

Call Showstoppers on Monday and bitch them out until they send you a pre-paid return label and a full refund. What they sent you is the JDM style wing for the JDM hatch (slightly different fitment than your USDM hatch).

Honestly, go to HandAaccessories.com and just buy the HFP wing. Perfect fitment, OEM quality, unbeatable.

Yeah, apparently you have to grind off the type R mounting points and fill them with body filler to get the damned thing to fit. Good luck getting a refund and return. I contacted Chuck from Showstoppers some 5 days after I ordered my wing. He now won't return my emails and refuses to admit that the product is defective and being advertised deceptively. I'm a very unsatisfied customer, and I doubt either of us are going to get our money back to tell you the truth.

Here's my thread: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...ke-JDM-fitment.

Well i was looking at ur pictures and my wing dosnt seem to have those mounting points that stick out so mine should be fine but when bolted up the gap just gets worse and there isn't a good fit... it seems like the taper of the wing dosnt match the taper of the glass if ur looking from the back of it.. ill have to try to get some pics up later.

Quote Originally Posted by eccramer View Post
    Yeah, apparently you have to grind off the type R mounting points and fill them with body filler to get the damned thing to fit. Good luck getting a refund and return. I contacted Chuck from Showstoppers some 5 days after I ordered my wing. He now won't return my emails and refuses to admit that the product is defective and being advertised deceptively. I'm a very unsatisfied customer, and I doubt either of us are going to get our money back to tell you the truth.

Here's my thread: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...ke-JDM-fitment.

Thread Information