Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How To: Replace ELD (Electric Load Detector) w/ part# (P1298)

Ok this is my repost of my old How To that when down the crash. I thought It was lost but I found it in my Netbook. Just to let you all know code P1298 never reappeared after and I scan my car once a week.

I had engine code P1298 on for awhile. This code stand for :
    P1298 (20) Electrical Load Detector(ELD) Circuit Hiqh voltage
    wich mean that your ELD went wrong and needs to be replaced. If anyone want to schime on this and tell us what exactly it does and why it goes bad feel free to do so, I’ll add your comment to my How To.

Tools needed : Philips screw driver… that’s it
    Aprox. Time : 20 mins

ELD Part number : 38255-S5A-003 (thanks to Mugen_TaffyEP)
    ELD Cost : Between 29,99$ and 39,99$ I guess. Got mine for 35$
    Where to Buy : Honda Dealer
    Notes : This ELD could be listed under CRV but I garrantee you it works!

This is actually what the ELD looks like. Bigger than I thought it was!

1st Step :
    Open your fuse box and with your screw driver unscrew the 4 screws of the 80A Battery fuse and the 50A AR fuse. Remove both the screws and fuses and put them somwhere you won’t lose them.

2nd Step :
    To access the ELD plug you must slide down the down cover of the fuse box. To do so just pull it down gently and nicely and it will eventually come down.

This is what the cover looks like.

Once you have it out. Go under the fuse box with your hand and pull the plug out by holding the little « clamp » on it and pull up the ELD with your other hand.

3rd Step :
    Now that you go the ELD removed, you must reassemble everything back together in reverse order.
    Put the new ELD in
    Insert the plug in
    Put back the undercover
    Put back the 80A and 50A fuse and screw them.
    Reset your ECU/Code by unplugging the 15A ECU fuse for 1 to 10 minutes then put it back in and start your car and do the Idle Relearn process.

So as you can see it’s pretty simple and shouldn’t take you more than 20 minutes.
    Have Fun!

Just remembered someone as said you can get the ELD for cheaper online at handaaccessories or something like that. Also, you should unplug your battery before doing things in the fusebox.

This came up about 3 weeks too late for me, good post though.

Quote Originally Posted by ep3steez View Post
    This came up about 3 weeks too late for me, good post though.
    I hope you didn't have your entire Fusebox replaced? Most stealership and mechanic will want to replace the entire fusebox wich is like 500$ so guys be sure to read the code before acknoledging the repair :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmage View Post
    I hope you didn't have your entire Fusebox replaced? Most stealership and mechanic will want to replace the entire fusebox wich is like 500$ so guys be sure to read the code before acknoledging the repair :)
    No, but stupid me did a "learn as I go" job and it took forever for a simple job. Very frustrating.

I think there is (was) a thread about this last year. As I stated there: Learn from my mistake and do NOT replace your entire fusebox assembly (the one under the hood) no matter how much your mechanic tells you to. It is not necessary, unless theres something up with it of course, in doing so.

ah. Missed this when I posted. Yes it gets expensive. Mine wasn't $500 but it was pretty outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I think there is (was) a thread about this last year. As I stated there: Learn from my mistake and do NOT replace your entire fusebox assembly
    Yeah you mentionned this in the same How To before the crash :P Just remembered you and had to tell everyone not to do it hehe

i ordered mines off ebay and i got 2 different plugs in the mail...i used the correct one for the "how to" but i dont know what the other plug is for..

Yeah you mentionned this in the same How To before the crash :P Just remembered you and had to tell everyone not to do it hehe
    lol yeah, I just got ripped and I don't want anyone else to either is the reason I reposted.

Quote Originally Posted by tru3aznplayaz View Post
    i ordered mines off ebay and i got 2 different plugs in the mail...i used the correct one for the "how to" but i dont know what the other plug is for..
    You mean you ordered the ELD on EBAY? How much did you get it for? Also if you can post pics of the "plugs" so we can see what you're talking about it would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    lol yeah, I just got ripped and I don't want anyone else to either is the reason I reposted.
    I can't believe people will actually try to rip customer like this. I just hope you were the only one on EPHatch to get ripped and no one else will be.

it is the same plug but i dunno what the other one is for..

I had to do this last year. Must be a shitty part

yup i got screwed, dealer said the whole fusebox had to be replaced. 800 later

Quote Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
    yup i got screwed, dealer said the whole fusebox had to be replaced. 800 later
    holy crap dude. I really think (for those of us who take our EP's to dealerships/untrustworthy mechanics) this oughta be stickied or something just so no one else, with strong emphasis, gets raped. I think mine was around the $200-$400 range I can't remember but no where near $800.. Sorry man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information