Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ok so new headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U
    It has the DAC plus I can get it for $130!

I've switched up my speakers too. Gonna go with Infinity Kappa, but I'm not sure if I should get the component system up front with the two way in the back or the 3-way up front and the 2-way out back as well?

KAPPA60.9CS (2-way Component)
    Power Handling, RMS 90 Watts
    Power Handling, Peak 270 Watts
    Frequency Response 45Hz - 35kHz
    Impedance 2 Ohms

KAPPA63.9I (3-way)
    Power Handling, RMS 75 Watts
    Power Handling, Peak 225 Watts
    Frequency Response 45Hz - 30kHz
    Impedance 2 Ohms

KAPPA62.9I (2-way)
    Power Handling, RMS 75 Watts
    Power Handling, Peak 225 Watts
    Frequency Response 45Hz - 25kHz
    Impedance 2 Ohms

Also for the amp, should I get the KAPPA Four or save $70 and get the REF475A??

One of my friends were trying to explain why the 2-way would be just as good up front as compared to the 2-way component. I couldn't quite make out what he was trying to say, something about the ohms and it being split up with the component speakers?

Nice deal on the head unit. There are all sorts of arguments for configurations going all sorts of ways. I'll try to keep it short.

The general consensus is if you are going to use an external amp for your fronts, is: use a component set up front with coaxials in the rear.

The 2 or 3 way coaxials are completely up to you. If you happen to use coaxials in the rear, I'd suggest just going with 2-way because the rear speakers are more just for "rear fill", most of the focus will be on the front. Components are good to go in the front because they can usually handle more power and generally do a better job separating the mids from the highs. It also helps seperating the soundstage by placing the highs up high and the midbass down low. Keep in mind if you don't have some kind of sail panel or tweeter pod you will have to get creative on mounting a tweeter. Otherwise if you don't want to go that route just toss in a 3-way coaxial up front and be done with it.

As far as the amp, I would have to say go with the Kappa Four. Depending on where you mount the amp, you'll appreciate the top placement of the hi / low pass filters. You also get practically double the wattage for only $70, which is nice if you end up eventually wanting to run tri mode: powering the front speakers and bridging the rear channels for a subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by introvert View Post
    Nice deal on the head unit. There are all sorts of arguments for configurations going all sorts of ways. I'll try to keep it short.

The general consensus is if you are going to use an external amp for your fronts, is: use a component set up front with coaxials in the rear.

The 2 or 3 way coaxials are completely up to you. If you happen to use coaxials in the rear, I'd suggest just going with 2-way because the rear speakers are more just for "rear fill", most of the focus will be on the front. Components are good to go in the front because they can usually handle more power and generally do a better job separating the mids from the highs. It also helps seperating the soundstage by placing the highs up high and the midbass down low. Keep in mind if you don't have some kind of sail panel or tweeter pod you will have to get creative on mounting a tweeter. Otherwise if you don't want to go that route just toss in a 3-way coaxial up front and be done with it.

As far as the amp, I would have to say go with the Kappa Four. Depending on where you mount the amp, you'll appreciate the top placement of the hi / low pass filters. You also get practically double the wattage for only $70, which is nice if you end up eventually wanting to run tri mode: powering the front speakers and bridging the rear channels for a subwoofer.
    Thanks for the info introvert. Would the tweeter location in our car not hold the component tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by drjd888 View Post
    Thanks for the info introvert. Would the tweeter location in our car not hold the component tweeter?
    It'll hold the component tweeter. I was in "forum mode" because I'd just left a car audio forum and forgot you also had an EP. I don't know what the stock ones looked like, when I bought my EP it already had aftermarket tweeters.. But due to some missing stuff my local shop ended up having to fashion a backing and glue the sides of my tweeters to get them to mount in the sail panel.

So... I "upgraded" a couple of things last night. I swapped out my Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993 last night and replaced it with an Alpine CDA-117.

I also swapped out the rear coaxials. I replaced my Polk db651S with a pair of Hertz Audio HCX165's (Hi-Energy Series) Picked up the set brand new at a steal from a friend who works in the audio industry.

Initial Impressions
    Alpine CDA-117: I picked this set because it had 3 pairs of 4V RCA pre-outs, supported mp3 CDs as well as iPod/USB and could process RDS data (radio tagging). I almost went with the iDA-X305S, which boasts Pandora support and does not have a CD player. As I occasionally like to listen to CDs, I went with the 117.

I was led to believe that I could connect an iPod via USB as well as through Ai-Net. I was planning on leaving my iPod in there via KCE-433iV cable and then occasionally connecting my iPhone via USB. Apparently the CDA117 only supports CD changers and AUX inputs via Ai-Net and can only control iPod through USB. I'm still searching the manual on if I can have both plugged in, and what I can do with the AiNET port.. But we'll see what happens. Disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

The sound quality of the preouts is noticeably cleaner and more crisp than the 2.5V set of a temporary "Sony" deck I had in place for a couple of days (installed after I figured out my Kenwood was kaput). PEQs 5band or GEQs 7 band EQ is pretty nice. I like the customization ability of PEQ being able to select individual bands on each step, letting you choose what frequency to boost or cut. GEQ lets you fine tune it further by using 7 preset/non-customizable frequencies.

I connected my iPod 5th gen (ipod video) via the included usb/ipod cable. I was surprised as to how good it sounded, even with some of the songs which I know to have a low bit rate, poor rip quality or some noise. The one gripe I have about it is that the file browsing isn't nearly as fast as the KDC-X993.

Out of the box the sound quality on the front four is awesome. Highs and mids sound clear and realistic. Media Xpander is very dynamic, can almost be overpowering. Xpander being arguably better than Kenwood's "Highway Sound".

The one thing that has me the most disappointed is the bass performance so far. I don't like to boost the low frequency on an EQ that much.. And out the box the bass on this head unit is really weak. I have to do some major tweaking, but my amp is dialed in just the way I want it and I've heard a TON more output from my 12" on both the Kenwood and the Sony. I'll keep working on it and update with progress.

Things I sorely miss about my X993: Digital E's High-pass and Low-pass filters. FAST USB ipod navigation. Fully customizable text and color displays. Built-in Bluetooth and a ton of input capabilities. (Did I say I really miss the filters?)

Overall, I like the CDA 117 and it's ease of use. Sounds good, looks good. It's price is pretty steep, but that's an Alpine signature. I have to say, though, you get very little bang for the buck.

Initial Impressions Part 2 (Continued)
    Hertz HCX 165: I was really happy with this upgrade. There is a night and day difference between going from the db651S to this set. A ton more mid-bass and overall frequency response. Mids now have a good punch and the highs don't sound as harsh. The build quality on the speakers were noticeably different as well. The tweeter is directional, the basket was thick, heavy and of much better quality.

When fading from front to back there's a subtle difference in sound quality at low volume. At high volume the HCXs sound much better than the DB6501 components. We'll see how it goes. I have a bit more tweaking to do on the head unit but I think the HCX set might push me to replace my front speakers sooner than I had planned to.
    Last edited by introvert; 07-07-2010 at 10:17 AM.

I'm gonna order the headunit first and see how it sounds with just the stock speakers. From there, I'll decide if I should go with the component fronts or the 3-ways. Wait time for the headunit is approx 4 weeks, ouch, hopefully it doesnt take that long.

I looked at that same Alpine headuint, but I picked the Kenwood because I can get such a good discount on it. Hopefully the 3 band equalizer with the custom speaker settings will be enough to get the sound I'm looking for.

the alpine 9887 is down to like 220 bucks ;)
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    the alpine 9887 is down to like 220 bucks ;)
    Was tempted. Dealer said it was discontinued..

I sure is, but you can buy 2 for the price of one!

I dig mine, and should you decide to do so later it will do active 3 way ;)

This could possibly be the last of the alpine units with all the fancy shit built in as they are now in bed with imprint licensing.

I bought my 9855 used after it was DC'd and it's now on it's 3rd owner and rocking strong.
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information