Close

Thread: burning oil

burning oil

i recently did a k20a2 swap about a month ago in the ep and this thing is burning oil like crazy..... recently went to nashville for IA.... checked oil level be fore the trip, it was between the to holes on the dipstick, so i added some oil.... nashville is about 2hrs and 30mins, i was there about 3 days then came back home and checked the oil level again..... it was on the last hole on the dipstick... i had to out a quart of oil............. i know the motor has been sittin outside a junkyard for atleast 1 year.... is this normal???

I remember someone said that if you are hitting Vtec too much on K20A2 you are bound to burn more oil.

If the engine sat in the yard that long, you might have a ring or two stuck. Have you pulled the plugs and looked at them to see if they are oil fouled? As mentioned, its not uncommon to 'use' oil if you spend a lot of time in the upper RPM's.

Remember, oil in a VTEC engine not only lubricates, but acts as a hydraulic fluid to actuate the VTEC system. Not all oils can withstand this kind of abuse. What kind of oil ARE you using?

Quote Originally Posted by k3rry View Post
    i recently did a k20a2 swap about a month ago in the ep and this thing is burning oil like crazy..... recently went to nashville for IA.... checked oil level be fore the trip, it was between the to holes on the dipstick, so i added some oil.... nashville is about 2hrs and 30mins, i was there about 3 days then came back home and checked the oil level again..... it was on the last hole on the dipstick... i had to out a quart of oil............. i know the motor has been sittin outside a junkyard for atleast 1 year.... is this normal???
    woww !! same thing 2 me but i have a a3...went 2 crown point den came back oil was at the last dot...

Thread Information