Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Headliner color change

Hey guys, is there any products to dye the fabric of the roof panel?

Over the years the roof panel fabric has been stained in a few spots and a bit of general dirtyness, LOL, so I figured it was time to change the color and hide the stains as well.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

im sure you can dye it but the roof liner is a very thin material. and if you dye, you'd want the best dye product out there to spray on.

I believe someone had did this already, I forgot the username but he dyed the entire gray interior black.

i see a headliner DIY in your future.

i've been looking for a good dye for it as i didn't want to risk drooping and wrinkles with wrapping it. i've done it before with my buddy on his sti and it was a huge PITA. keep us posted if you find a good dye

Dupli-Color has a charcoal grey vinyl and fabric dye in a spray can, I might give that a try. I did discover that the light grey plastic trim was rather stained and dirty as well, they cleaned up perfectly with a little sand blasting and should allow the Dupli-Colors matching "plastic and trim" paint to really adhere well.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

One cool duck, with a hat Heitzke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    Dupli-Color has a charcoal grey vinyl and fabric dye in a spray can, I might give that a try. I did discover that the light grey plastic trim was rather stained and dirty as well, they cleaned up perfectly with a little sand blasting and should allow the Dupli-Colors matching "plastic and trim" paint to really adhere well.
    I should probably post some pics up, I sprayed my headliner with the same Duplic-color paints and it looks pretty decent. Doesn't seem to be the most durable solution, but it works pretty good.

the question I have is, How do you remove the headliner? I'd mod mine if I figure how to remove it.

yea your gonna have to remove the headliner, its not hard. As for the duplicolor stuff, I recomend agaisnt it. It looks good on carpets, seats, etc. but I tried it on my first headliner, i have a new one sitting in my garage right now. I'm gonna get mine re-upholstered probably next pay check. I found a place that will do it in faux-suede for like $150.

If you use the duplicolor stuff, if you can find a good way not to get the obvious spray lines, please share. $10 is alot better than $150 to get a black headliner.

EDIT:^^ to remove the headliner, take out all the things attached to said liner, if you can take out your b-pillars, c-pillars, and a-pillars, helps alot. once everything is removed, pull the front infront of the sunroof down, then pull the entire liner forwards to the front of the car, it will drop down, then take it out the drivers door.

Couple quick pics

How did you get pictures of my interior??..lol. What did you use to make yours black? dye or upholstry?

Quote Originally Posted by Valo666 View Post
    How did you get pictures of my interior??..lol. What did you use to make yours black? dye or upholstry?
    I snuck all the way up to Canadia... I used the Dupli-color interior spray. I think I used 3 cans total, it turned out pretty decent.

it looks amazing every time I see full black interior, but what do you do about the seatbelt things ?

Quote Originally Posted by 02TWSI View Post
    it looks amazing every time I see full black interior, but what do you do about the seatbelt things ?
    You can pull those pieces off and paint them too, I just rushed mine to finish before IA. I'll go back through and paint them black as soon as I want to even touch the car again.

Ooo I want to do this soon. Im a little worried though, I've never pulled the headliner off. Im guessing the small headliner piece to the sunroof is easy to do too?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information