Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by jed_averill View Post
    Yah pressure should be something checked everyday IMO. Just have a gauge handy in your car. Another thing I do with my car once in a while is tighten my lug nuts lol there's always one or two that got more loose.

I've been driving diligently my last full tank except for that one time I had my friend try out my car (2 days ago). I'm hoping to get at least 27 MPG again.
    Your lugs, do you torque them?
    They're probably coming loose because they are unevenly tightened.
    Tighten them across not in a circle. This idea makes sense if you sit there and think and/or if you've tuned a drum set before or something.
    And you want to torque them
    80 pound's per lug
    Over tightening and under tightening can cause lug failure
    Torqueing them all to the factory 80 lbs should fix you're problem.

Its not that loose, it's more like just checking if they are even uneven. Haven't noticed any differences. I don't have those torque tools. I'll get it done at the shop during my oil change.

BTW on another topic. I was driving 60-65 mph on the free way for about 166 miles with 4-5 almost red line overtaking cars and the result is 31.XX MPG. Bad, good or average?

She Will Be missed LOVIN MY EP3's Avatar
    I mix it Shell V-power and Chevron with Techron so I end up with more V-TECH !!!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVIN MY EP3 View Post
    I mix it Shell V-power and Chevron with Techron so I end up with more V-TECH !!!
    hahahahahahahaaagh

Quote Originally Posted by J Mo View Post
    ive been using 91 on my completely stock a3, because im under the impression that the extra cents translated to 1-2 more mpg over 87 octane, which i was using from the beginning

now im actually in the process of reverting back to 87 octane and see if my mileage would be the same -- in which case i'll conclude that it was because i was still learning the car when i first got it

we'll see after a few more fillups, but i only fillup every other week
    UPDATE: alright, i made the transition back to using 87 octane gas, and seems like im getting the same mileage and performance out of 87 octane versus 91 octane on the last tank, with redline sprints here and there -- by the way ive been previously getting values (and seems like i still will be) between 23-25 mpg with shifting at 4k, and cruising at 2.2k rpm or above, just to keep i-VTEC engaged (i read from this forum thread that better MPG is read from a scangauge when i-VTEC is engaged)

of course this is only one tank of 87, i'll probably chime back in when i get more tanks emptied

ONE FINAL EDIT: its conclusive -- 91 does not provide significant gains over 87 in a stock k20a3 motor -- mpg stayed the same, redlining still feels the same, etc etc etc
    Last edited by J Mo; 09-28-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: finalize

The Honda manual actually states that the engine was designed to use fuel with an octane rating of 86 or higher. The use of 91 octane or higher on a stock K20A3 is a complete waste of money. Higher octane fuel actually burns at a slower rate than lower octane due to its higher resistance to detonation. The use of higher octane fuel (especially 93-94 octane) can reduce horsepower and fuel mileage due to the lower volatility of the fuel. All fuel regardless of octane rating contains the same amount of energy per unit volume so using a fuel that burns slower results in lower performance and mileage if the engine is not tuned to make use of the higher octane. If you tune your engine with advanced ignition timing, higher compression internals or boost then of course the higher octane is required. I hope this helps clear up some myths and saves you some money. I can provide links to information about this if you would like.

PS: As far as the argument about when to shift, the Honda manual also gives recommendations for this.
    Normal Acceleration
    1st to 2nd - 14mph (23km/h)
    2nd to 3rd - 25mph (40km/h)
    3rd to 4th - 40mph (64km/h)
    4th to 5th - 49mph (79km/h)

Cruise from acceleration
    1st to 2nd - 7mph (11km/h)
    2nd to 3rd - 23mph (37km/h)
    3rd to 4th - 33mph (53km/h)
    4th to 5th - 45mph (72km/h)

Give these a shot for a couple of fill-ups and see if your mileage improves.

Thanks for reading

Quote Originally Posted by TheKone View Post
    The Honda manual actually states that the engine was designed to use fuel with an octane rating of 86 or higher. The use of 91 octane or higher on a stock K20A3 is a complete waste of money. Higher octane fuel actually burns at a slower rate than lower octane due to its higher resistance to detonation. The use of higher octane fuel (especially 93-94 octane) can reduce horsepower and fuel mileage due to the lower volatility of the fuel. All fuel regardless of octane rating contains the same amount of energy per unit volume so using a fuel that burns slower results in lower performance and mileage if the engine is not tuned to make use of the higher octane. If you tune your engine with advanced ignition timing, higher compression internals or boost then of course the higher octane is required. I hope this helps clear up some myths and saves you some money. I can provide links to information about this if you would like.

PS: As far as the argument about when to shift, the Honda manual also gives recommendations for this.
    Normal Acceleration
    1st to 2nd - 14mph (23km/h)
    2nd to 3rd - 25mph (40km/h)
    3rd to 4th - 40mph (64km/h)
    4th to 5th - 49mph (79km/h)

Cruise from acceleration
    1st to 2nd - 7mph (11km/h)
    2nd to 3rd - 23mph (37km/h)
    3rd to 4th - 33mph (53km/h)
    4th to 5th - 45mph (72km/h)

Give these a shot for a couple of fill-ups and see if your mileage improves.

Thanks for reading
    Nice to see that someone with 3 posts is the first one to write their recommendations based on the service manual.

I get 87, always have been, and log onto Fuelly to log my MPG.

octane has nothing to do with mpg

just resistance to detonation

87 all the way on a otherwise stock car dont kid yourselves you wont get anything else out of paying more for premium gas on a stock car

your drving style will much more affect your mpg than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by ep3demon View Post
    octane has nothing to do with mpg

just resistance to detonation

87 all the way on a otherwise stock car dont kid yourselves you wont get anything else out of paying more for premium gas on a stock car

your drving style will much more affect your mpg than anything else.
    Terrible information from a noob. Octane DOES relate to MPG. The higher the octane rating, the lower the potential heat and MPG. Not a huge difference between 87 and 93, but there IS a difference. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot.

I've been using Shell 93 since I got Kpro. I have to say, with 93 and a decent tune the stock A3 really wakes up.

I shift at 3k. With 87 my engine has a louder ticking sound and seems sluggish. Drop 91 and very less ticking sound and a difference in power.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information