Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

will 2.5" exhaust support a turbo? also other Q's

I just got a 2.5" catback exhaust, and was wondering if that would suffice for a turbo, or would it be harmful to run on that small of a pipe. also, the only mods that have been made to the car are suspension and the cat-back exhaust so im still on stock internals. what mods would i HAVE to do before i could safely run a turbo. im on a pretty small budget right now so im gonna try to get the turbo in for the cheapest i can. any help is greatly appreciated. thank you in advance! :-D

most likely not, maybe for a REALLY small turbo. you'll want to get a 3" exhaust

lol,.. 2.5 is perfect for a turbo a 3inch youll gain more up top but will lose power down low,.. keep the 2.5

As for everything else READ in the turbo section everthing has been asked.

Also there is a 3" exhaust kit on ebay going for around $100 on ebay all day long. I think Mike (Heitzke) picked one of these up.
    AkA EX FULL-RACE EP3

Quote Originally Posted by makavelibranded View Post
    lol,.. 2.5 is perfect for a turbo a 3inch youll gain more up top but will lose power down low,.. keep the 2.5

As for everything else READ in the turbo section everthing has been asked.
    sorta depends on your setup though, and turbo size will play a large role too fyi....

Guardian was on stock exhaust making 300hp on the a3 back in the day, and turbo size doesint matter its about how much power you make and if the exhaust setup is going to compliment the engines power.

ok ive done alot of reading since i posted this and it seems like really the only things you need thats not included in a turbo kit is an ECU. am i correct in making this assumption? also an upgrade to the fuel pump would be a good thing to do as the life of the stock fuel pump will but close to zero running at higher boost.... id LOVE to run about 12 psi. would that be too much on stock internals in the a3? would hondata or kpro be better for FI? i think i read a little while back that Kpro wasnt made to be run in accordance with FI, is this true? any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

The only tuning program you want to run with the turbo kit is Kpro, its the best one out and easy to get tuned. I run Kpro on my boosted K20a3 with stock internals, no problems yet. You may need injectors as well because some kits don't include them.

Quote Originally Posted by makavelibranded View Post
    Guardian was on stock exhaust making 300hp on the a3 back in the day, and turbo size doesint matter its about how much power you make and if the exhaust setup is going to compliment the engines power.
    the turbo size doesn't matter???? bigger turbo's generally mean more hp. in other words bigger turbo's flow/push more air thus requiring an exhaust system that can keep up

Quote Originally Posted by lbk02si View Post
    the turbo size doesn't matter???? bigger turbo's generally mean more hp. in other words bigger turbo's flow/push more air thus requiring an exhaust system that can keep up
    Your missing the point, Its all about the power hes going to make. A n/a I4 car making 250hp, vs a F/I I4 making 250hp are still going to produce the same amount of exhaust, If hes smart he wont go over 300hp with the a3. With a 3inch he'll gain a little uptop, and lose alot on the bottom, for a dd theres no point, he'll be selling an exhaust he just bought to buy something else that might gain a few hp on.

If we were talking about a high hp car 400h v8, or a 400hp I4 it would make sense, just because theres a turbo in it doesint mean it produces more exhaust its all about the power.

I made 270whp on 2 1/4 Megan Racing pipe..check compendium of boosted for more details..I am planning to switch to 2.5" for a little more WHP with a pipe that does not sound much

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar
    yeah check that out.. i think i made a good amount of power for what i paid..

The original question was will a 2.5" exhaust support a turbo... the answer is simply, yes.

Its not like theres a turbo he would/could put on, that would make the car undriveable simply because he has a 2.5" piping.
    AkA EX FULL-RACE EP3

Quote Originally Posted by japarossa View Post
    The only tuning program you want to run with the turbo kit is Kpro, its the best one out and easy to get tuned. I run Kpro on my boosted K20a3 with stock internals, no problems yet. You may need injectors as well because some kits don't include them.
    how much boost are you running with you stock internals? im lookin to push 12-13psi. what turbo kit can do this with stock internals without too much risk of damage?

also, ive read the stick about who has what as far as tc and sc but the thing is i have no idea what theyre talkin about lol.

Edit: i know the saying, chose 2 of 3, cheap fast reliable. so i know theres always gonna be that risk of damage on stock internals, especially pushing higher boost, what i was asking is which turbo kits would reduce that risk the most, if the different kits even make a difference?
    Last edited by 03NorVa; 07-30-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03NorVa View Post
    I just got a 2.5" catback exhaust, and was wondering if that would suffice for a turbo, or would it be harmful to run on that small of a pipe. also, the only mods that have been made to the car are suspension and the cat-back exhaust so im still on stock internals. what mods would i HAVE to do before i could safely run a turbo. im on a pretty small budget right now so im gonna try to get the turbo in for the cheapest i can. any help is greatly appreciated. thank you in advance! :-D
    Honestly, with a turbo, you dont want any back pressure at all...kind of different from a NA engine where the backpressure helps scavenging....but it depends on your exducer bore on your turbine...the outlet on the exhuast side of the turbo. If you have a 2.5" exducer bore, a 2.5" exhaust should be good, but 3" would be better. Kteller makes a weld up kit that is reasonable, or your local exhaust shop can help. But yes, a 2.5" exhaust will work just fine.
    As far as running 12 psi on your stock a3....im about to give that a try...should be tuned in a week or 2. Most people on here say 10 psi max safely from what i've read, but also depends on your tune.
    Kpro is the only way to go when it comes to tuning.
    I pieced together my turbo kit, and spent about the same amount as you can buy the greddy kit, but i got the injectors i wanted, the turbo i wanted, 3" exhuast, and fuel rail. If you do a piece together kit...you have to search for deals though, but it can be done for cheaper than a kit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information